• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blow Up the Tax Code and Start Over

By
    Rand Paul
    June 17, 2015 7:09 p.m. ET
    129 COMMENTS

Some of my fellow Republican candidates for the presidency have proposed plans to fix the tax system. These proposals are a step in the right direction, but the tax code has grown so corrupt, complicated, intrusive and antigrowth that I’ve concluded the system isn’t fixable.

So on Thursday I am announcing an over $2 trillion tax cut that would repeal the entire IRS tax code—more than 70,000 pages—and replace it with a low, broad-based tax of 14.5% on individuals and businesses. I would eliminate nearly every special-interest loophole. The plan also eliminates the payroll tax on workers and several federal taxes outright, including gift and estate taxes, telephone taxes, and all duties and tariffs. I call this “The Fair and Flat Tax.”

President Obama talks about “middle-class economics,” but his redistribution policies have led to rising income inequality and negative income gains for families. Here’s what I propose for the middle class: The Fair and Flat Tax eliminates payroll taxes, which are seized by the IRS from a worker’s paychecks before a family ever sees the money. This will boost the incentive for employers to hire more workers, and raise after-tax income by at least 15% over 10 years.

Here’s why we have to start over with the tax code. From 2001 until 2010, there were at least 4,430 changes to tax laws—an average of one “fix” a day—always promising more fairness, more simplicity or more growth stimulants. And every year the Internal Revenue Code grows absurdly more incomprehensible, as if it were designed as a jobs program for accountants, IRS agents and tax attorneys.

Polls show that “fairness” is a top goal for Americans in our tax system. I envision a traditionally All-American solution: Everyone plays by the same rules. This means no one of privilege, wealth or with an arsenal of lobbyists can game the system to pay a lower rate than working Americans.

Most important, a smart tax system must turbocharge the economy and pull America out of the slow-growth rut of the past decade. We are already at least $2 trillion behind where we should be with a normal recovery; the growth gap widens every month. Even Mr. Obama’s economic advisers tell him that the U.S. corporate tax code, which has the highest rates in the world (35%), is an economic drag. When an iconic American company like Burger King wants to renounce its citizenship for Canada because that country’s tax rates are so much lower, there’s a fundamental problem.

Dude's gonna get JFK'd if he keeps on making too much sense.

Comment

Fuck yes
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I am down and yes, he may get JFK'd.

Comment

Man wouldn't it be great if something like that got implemented, then no one messed with it.
          1995 Cobra #404
          1994 Cobra #1968 **traded**
          1991 LX Hatch 5.0-Sold

Comment

I'd take a bullet to get that tax code passed.
            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Where does the $2 trillion come from?

Comment

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
                I think he meant the current tax getting cut completely being the -$2trillion, then the 14.5% flat tax comes in. That's what I got from it, at least. Then again, I'm not that bright.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                  I think he meant the current tax getting cut completely being the -$2trillion, then the 14.5% flat tax comes in. That's what I got from it, at least. Then again, I'm not that bright.
                  That makes more sense, but he's still about $1 trillion off of 2014 revenues (just over $3 trillion) from personal/corporate and employment taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
                    On the tax number, no clue. On the second reference, he's referring to the output gap but the $2 trillion number isn't correct.
                    Originally posted by davbrucas
                    I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

This should be one of those things that everyone across party lines wants. I hate every year having to pay someone just to make sure my taxes are done 100% legit so I can get money owed to me back.

Of course cutting the corrupt IRS into nothingness would be a huge plus also.
                      1997 Miata - Weekend\Autox Car
                      1994 Mustang Cobra - Garage Shelf
                      2012 Mazda 3 - Daily

Comment

I know we have a few that work in the tax arena. What kind of impact would this have on the accounting field? I know it won't render them totally useless, but it obviously won't be status quo either. Thoughts?
                        Originally posted by BradM
                        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                        Originally posted by Leah
                        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Businesses will still need accountants, and if there economic growth there will be plenty of positions open to offset the Tax Code only accountants.

Comment

What would that do to taxes taken out for retirement programs?

Comment

You would be taxed on your earned income?

Comment

Working...
                              X