We're building a house.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
    Make sure that the I joists run in that area. Unless you saw an ilevel an, or similar, it may differ from the framing plan that you saw. Ours are not included in the architectural plans.

If you want, I can send you a check list from burgess construction consultants that they used when doing quality and best practices inspections for us on our homes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Any chance I can get a copy of that list as well?

By the way, if we ever get to start on our house, I had a couple of people recommend Bureau Veritas for our inspections.
    Last edited by GeorgeG.; 02-08-2017, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
      I have nothing new to add except that I would consider hiring an independent inspector. City inspectors are only there to shake down the builders for permit and inspection fees, they don't give a shit about the product. We used Aaron's Home Inspections and were happy with their work. They gave us a very detailed report and I felt that their presence on the job was at least a small deterrent for total shit work.
      Is this who you used?
      Residential Building Inspection Services. Texas Inspector performs new and existing home and inspections and expert consultation in the Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex area

Their Services page had some interesting reading material.
      Home and Commercial Inspection Services. Texas Inspector performs new and existing home and EIFS inspections in the Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex area - New Construction Inspection

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
        Any chance I can get a copy of that list as well?

By the way, if we ever get to start on our house, I had a couple of people recommend Bureau Veritas for our inspections.
        BV inspectors are hit and miss. We have a few that come through that know their shit and actually perform a thorough inspection.

If I were hiring a 3rd party to perform inspections throughout the process, I would hire Burgess Construction Consultants

Originally posted by Leah
        Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Oh, send me your email if you want the frame checklist and I will get it sent a little later today

Comment

That looks really nice man. Congrats!

Our first house was bought new and we got to choose all the options and all that. It wasn't too painful at all.

Good luck with it and invite me to the housewarming party!

Comment

Did you find that it was cheaper to build, than to buy?
              WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                Did you find that it was cheaper to build, than to buy?
                I dont think i had a way to compare. We have a relatively small area that we wanted to move to; the in-laws just moved to alvarado, my brother in law and his wife are building here too, and a couple of my good friends live within a few miles of the new place. Geographically, it was a good fit, and there hasnt been anything on the market in the last two years that we like or can afford. Most of the houses were either very old or just small. There are some nice houses popping up here and there, but are across the street from some birds nest trailers or something.

As far as build vs buy, we have the option of building on the in-laws land, but with the need for a well, plus surveys, driveway, etc, it was going to cost more to build on our land than to build there.
                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                  I dont think i had a way to compare. We have a relatively small area that we wanted to move to; the in-laws just moved to alvarado, my brother in law and his wife are building here too, and a couple of my good friends live within a few miles of the new place. Geographically, it was a good fit, and there hasnt been anything on the market in the last two years that we like or can afford. Most of the houses were either very old or just small. There are some nice houses popping up here and there, but are across the street from some birds nest trailers or something.

As far as build vs buy, we have the option of building on the in-laws land, but with the need for a well, plus surveys, driveway, etc, it was going to cost more to build on our land than to build there.
                  Yeah I looked around down there and can't believe the prices on land. I told my wife that when our house doubles in value, probably this year, we should sell and rent from my buddy until the next housing reset. House next door just went for 260000 and was at 159k when we moved in 4 years ago, and it was a foreclosure/flip, not even fixed up well. Just glad the drug dealer is gone as he was the last piece of trash in our neighborhood. They ran out of daddy's money.
                  Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Congrats DJ on the new build out. We moved to Midlo in July and love it. Interested in your shop build as I plan to do something soon.

Comment

Congrats man! I wish I could move back to the country one day.
                      Originally posted by Da Prez
                      Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
                      Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

I still can't believe those cock suckers won't pipe the furnace and water heater. What kind of shit is that? I'd back out over it, but that's just me. No sense in building a house if it isn't what I want.
                        Originally posted by BradM
                        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                          I still can't believe those cock suckers won't pipe the furnace and water heater. What kind of shit is that? I'd back out over it, but that's just me. No sense in building a house if it isn't what I want.
                          Did I miss something?

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                            Did I miss something?
                            He had to fight with them to pipe for a gas range. They flat out refused to pipe the furnace and water heater, so he's stuck with electric. Absolutely no reason to ever have electric furnace, water heater, and appliances in Texas imo.
                            Originally posted by BradM
                            But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                            In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

ah

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                                Well, they will, but it gets ungodly expensive to do it. The fireplace was $700, stove $400 (just pipe) etc. They DONT do the tank, so you have no stove or hot water until you get the propane co to drop, hook up and fill the tank. Then the upgrade to propane for the furnace, upgrade on the water heater, etc. Just too much to have to pay upfront.

Plus, there's the cost of propane. My mom's house is all propane, stove, oven, heat, tankless water heater, grill, etc. She has a buried 500gal tank, and it's around a grand to fill it, plus the lease on the tank. I'll not have to fill mine very often.
                                Last edited by Baron Von Crowder; 02-13-2017, 11:21 AM.
                                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
                                X