No announcement yet.

My 12yr old flame thrower.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to update this thread. First, I got to see Dave and watch Colby straight up deal this weekend in Grapevine. His kid is the real deal, so if you know him, get your autographs now. He was changing speeds and fooling not only the hitters but the umpire on his way to 15 K's in 7 innings. This on the heels of dropping a monster bomb on Saturday over the 375' fence. He is a beast at his age and probably would be the same playing up 2 years!

Next, my own son's team finally got on the field in just their second tournament together. They had only played 3 games coming into the weekend, but they went 5-0 taking the 11u title in a blowout. Jordan went 9-9 with 4 walks and 1 hit by pitch on the weekend. It became almost comical watching the other team try everything they could to get him out from curve balls in the dirt to 35 mph eephus pitches to occasionally trying to sneak a fastball past him. His last at bat of the weekend was one of the best when they tried to fool him and went to a 3-0 count as he wouldn't bite. Rather than walk him with first base open, they threw a fastball over the outer third thinking he'd take the pitch for a strike. He had the green light and hit a 4 feet high missile at the shortstop who wisely side stepped it. The vapor trail went all the way to the CF fence at 275' and the big lefty rolled in with yet another stand up triple on the weekend. We're already looking forward to spring and what this new team will be able to do.

Here's Jordan with the team championship trophy which he tried to sneak away with before the coach saw him.

Comment

Y'all seem to be doing a great job with these kids.

What age did you guys start them in baseball? I'm at a point where my son is 8 and as soon as I'm settled in from moving, I'd like to put him in baseball. He's never played and actually never showed an interest in baseball...but, I need to put him in something. My primary challenge is going to be with myself...I didn't grow up in sports and I still have zero interest in any of them, literally, so I don't know how I'll keep the excitement up as time goes by. I'm hoping that as he plays through, I'll at least learn enough to hold a conversation.

He played soccer at the YMCA a few years ago and to this day still wants a new pair of cleats so he can be ready to play again. While I'd like him to play through school, right now I can't say that my goal would be to get a full ride somewhere but more so to just stay active, learn how to work as a team, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
        Y'all seem to be doing a great job with these kids.
        Thank you. It's not always easy, but it's very fun and fulfilling watching your kids have fun, learn, and succeed.

What age did you guys start them in baseball? I'm at a point where my son is 8 and as soon as I'm settled in from moving, I'd like to put him in baseball. He's never played and actually never showed an interest in baseball...but, I need to put him in something. My primary challenge is going to be with myself...I didn't grow up in sports and I still have zero interest in any of them, literally, so I don't know how I'll keep the excitement up as time goes by. I'm hoping that as he plays through, I'll at least learn enough to hold a conversation.
        It's never to early to start a kid in a sport -- as long as the environment is right. I grew up eating dirt on a baseball field. I was helping coach high school ball when my oldest son was born, and doing lessons with high school kids when he was old enough to play tee ball. I didn't force it on him, but it was pretty obvious he was going to play because I spent so much time with it.

Jordan started hitting baseballs on a tee just before he turned 2. My wife thought I was crazy when I bought him a tee, limited flight baseballs, a bat, and a glove for my birthday (in May) before his second birthday (July). We would go in the front yard and hit. I painted dots in the yard for him to stand on to get a proper setup. He would stand on the dots, and I let him hit the ball showing him just a few things about swinging and let him learn on his own. Before long, he was hitting the ball consistently (not with great form, but he had the idea down). He would hit the ball and look at me for another one on the tee. I just pointed down to the dots and wouldn't put one on the tee until he put his feet in the right place. Before long, he would hit the ball and look at his feet instead of where the ball went. That was the first step into turning him into a hitter. By the time he was 4, he would take a bucket of those balls, his tee, and a bat into the back yard and hit. He would empty the bucket, pick them all up, and then hit them again. We would sit and watch, and most importantly, cheer over the top. He would smile bigger each time. That got him started down the path he's on now.

There are plenty of leagues and systems to get involved in. If he has any interest in baseball, I would start by playing a season in local league play. If he doesn't turn 9 before May 1, then he can play coach pitch this spring. That's an ideal time to get started as the coach is way more consistent as a pitcher than a kid. You can sign up for camps over the holidays or I always recommend after you have played a little catch and hit some with your son, invest in a 5 pack of lessons. Lessons run anywhere from $55-80 an hour depending on the facility. I find young kids do best in 30 minute lessons which can usually be found for $30-45 per session. A professional instructor can help your kid grow in confidence as well as help them get physically better at the game. Lessons provide you a chance to learn as well, because you can ask questions afterwards (while observing the lesson), and ask for 'homework' to take with you and practice with your son. The best part of it all is that it's time that you get to spend with your kid. If you have fun doing it, then he will too.

If he really enjoys it after a season, then I would do my best to find an organization that offers club baseball. There are many out there like the Dallas Patriots (where I coach my youngest son out of the Frisco facility), Dallas Tigers, Frozen Ropes, Dallas Texans, Dallas Mustangs, Academy Select Sun Devils, etc. These organizations often have paid coaches and teams of varying levels of development. They can put your son on a team with kids at the appropriate level and help him grow as a player. This often includes use of an indoor facility whenever you want to go hit/throw with part of your club fees. They play more games and practice more than league teams, so it's the best way to go if he wants to play.

He played soccer at the YMCA a few years ago and to this day still wants a new pair of cleats so he can be ready to play again. While I'd like him to play through school, right now I can't say that my goal would be to get a full ride somewhere but more so to just stay active, learn how to work as a team, etc.
        You've got the right approach. The end goal should never be a college scholarship or more. Both Colby and Jordan are blessed with an enormous amount of talent (hey, some guys like Dave and I just have it in us). They're going to have a chance to play baseball for a long, long time and maybe get paid to do it one day. Dave and I have traded messages, and what's more important to us is that the boys are having fun, learning what a team concept is about, and most importantly -- learning that you often get out what you put in. Hard work is important and usually leads to success. The lessons these boys are learning as they play baseball are important lessons about life and growing up. As Jordan and I walked to the car late last night with him pulling his bag behind him holding his trophy and me carrying the cooler, I turned to him and told him that I was proud of him and I thanked him for letting me watch him play. I do that after every game and after every practice. He loves playing and he loves winning, but I enjoy watching him more. I hope you get your son signed up to play and enjoy the time with him as much as I enjoy it with mine. Feel free to drop me a PM if you ever have any questions about baseball that I can answer.

Comment

Would you guys say that your kids are the "big kid" in their class? Just curious if these are the kids who look like their 16 when they are 12.

Comment

Originally posted by akfodysvn View Post
            Would you guys say that your kids are the "big kid" in their class? Just curious if these are the kids who look like their 16 when they are 12.
            My son is not little for sure. He turned 11 in July and is 5'7" and 140 pounds. He's the biggest kid on his team, but there are a few kids that are close. He went to USA Baseball trials over Labor Day weekend and was one of the tallest kids there out of about 300 kids from across the country. There were several kids close and several that outweighed him. Colby is a big kid too, but don't confuse being the big kid with playing ability in a sport like baseball. There's a kid on Jordan's team that probably doesn't weigh 85 pounds soaking wet, is barely 5' tall (if he is), and he's one of the best infielders and hitters in the state. Colby is a big kid too, but I saw at least 2 other kids in the game he played yesterday that were comparable or bigger. You see more than that when you start looking at other teams.

Size has advantages and disadvantages. What you look for is athleticism. Jordan runs in the fast group and turns in 40 and 60 times withing 0.02 seconds of kids that are 65-75 pounds lighter than him. He has a longer stride but he's carrying a lot more weight. It works both ways. Jordan just has a ton of God given ability, the desire to develop it, and I have the means to give him the best chance to succeed. That has translated very well so far and we hope it will continue to do so.

FWIW, I'm the runt of my family at 6' and 195 pounds. My dad is 6' 3" and my brother is just over 6' 4" and threw mid 90's in college. Jordan is trending to be around 6' 5". We're just hoping he can make it to 6' 2" or taller.

Comment

Agree with everything you've posted Billy...and it was good to finally meet you. Congrats on the win this weekend. We ended up losing that game Colby pitched so well in...game went into extras and reliever gave up some hits and error by SS allowed winning run to score. That team went on to win it all...the kids on that team are from the Houston area as well but are kids from several different teams put together for the big tourneys. Most of the kids on there know Colby as he has played with many of them over the years. Their coach has been after Colby to play with his teams for several years, but he is close to the kids on his team and wont leave. I support his decisions.
              Here is a pic from the at bat where he smoked one over the 375ft CF fence...Colby is 6ft 210lbs and just turned 13 a couple weeks ago. There's another kid on his team that is about 1/2in taller but he will be 14 in April.

Comment

I'm bringing this one back from the cellars. Colby and Jordo were nominated for Area Code Underclass games this year. It's a big honor for them to be nominated and go to the tryouts. They were at Baylor on Monday, and there were around 100 college coaches and scouts there watching. You can find video of them pitching here. The hitting videos aren't up yet but will be soon for Jordan.

Colby: https://youtu.be/V-_2xUcykeI

Jordo: https://youtu.be/iD3sL6fzc3Y

Comment

Very impressive! Both of those boys are beasts and I know they put in a LOT of work to get to that level! My boy has been playing AA ball the last couple seasons and liked it a LOT! His coach had them lots of tournaments and some tnt league games as well.. I’m hoping that helps him be ready for high school. His last game of the season he got his first home run against some pretty good pitching at bacchus park in Frisco
                  "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                    I'm bringing this one back from the cellars. Colby and Jordo were nominated for Area Code Underclass games this year. It's a big honor for them to be nominated and go to the tryouts. They were at Baylor on Monday, and there were around 100 college coaches and scouts there watching. You can find video of them pitching here. The hitting videos aren't up yet but will be soon for Jordan.

Colby: https://youtu.be/V-_2xUcykeI

Jordo: https://youtu.be/iD3sL6fzc3Y

Good stuff... I had to work so I missed this. Colby's velocity was down as he had just pitched 5 innings a couple days before. He pitched 1 inning in relief yesterday and hit 92 a few times.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                      Very impressive! Both of those boys are beasts and I know they put in a LOT of work to get to that level! My boy has been playing AA ball the last couple seasons and liked it a LOT! His coach had them lots of tournaments and some tnt league games as well.. I’m hoping that helps him be ready for high school. His last game of the season he got his first home run against some pretty good pitching at bacchus park in Frisco
                      Good times! I remember Colby's first HR. He was 8yrs old in coach pitch. It was a grand slam. He hit over 20 that year. His batting prowess continued until he got to high school. Now he focuses more on pitching and doesnt get to hit much.

Comment

haha, I have boy/girl twins (8 y/o) both did rec/select (son did 10U and 8U) this year and will do only "select" for summer/fall and going forward (both have played 4 years already). My girl was baseball to get competitive, now she plays for a softball team that's bringing home 1st place every weekend when their dugout is good - does not place otherwise, so she is learning that side of the game (mental) with her team mates.

It's amazing how involved we can get in this sport with the kids, but when you find the right team every weekend tournament is a blast and it sucks missing any of them when there are scheduling conflicts.

....and yes the money is outrageous, but the time spent and memories are worth it. We have 0 time for anything else, but you only get so many years with your kids.

What really is bad for the sport is some of the terrible parents/coaches. We all understand the frustrations that go with the game - regardless of what side of the fence you're on - but just keep quiet, no reason to escalate situations/frustrations.

Good luck to your boys going forward.
                        Originally posted by MR EDD
                        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                          Good stuff! Jordo has hit a few balls out at Bacchus in his days. He played a one day event with a team there 2 falls ago and hit 5 in one day. It became comical if they threw something remotely over the plate. Those -5 bats were so ridiculously hot. That's awesome that your son is loving playing. How old is he? High school ball was interesting to say the least for Jordo this year. He was first team all district as a freshman and led the district in home runs, but he didn't get to play first base as much as he liked or pitch often (they had a lot of returning arms). Luckily he has learned to play outfield too so he could be in the lineup every game.

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
                          Good times! I remember Colby's first HR. He was 8yrs old in coach pitch. It was a grand slam. He hit over 20 that year. His batting prowess continued until he got to high school. Now he focuses more on pitching and doesnt get to hit much.
                          It's so hard to do both. Jordo is trying it now, and his last two starts on the mound have been a bit wild. As he tries to focus on correcting that, his hitting might slide back a bit. It's a vicious cycle trying to balance it and not burn out. I'm out of town so I missed games again today. The GC feed was comical as were all the texts I got from people there. They are playing wood bat, and he launched a bomb to RF. The ump called it foul. The coach and others said the ball was fair by at least 10 feet when it cleared the fence and didn't become foul until it landed on the football field. Absolute monster smash. The umpire actually ended up apologizing to him and told him it was fair. He hit a triple to center a few pitches later. Sucks that the ump took his home run away but at least he was honest.

Oh, and I remember Jordo's first home run. He actually hit 3 out of the park that day in a coach pitch 8U tournament. Funny how they come in droves and then disappear at times or come at certain ages. He hit 26 as a 12U kid but only around a dozen as 13U. Part of it was switching to the BBCOR bat and part of it was they played so much 14U (60/90 field). I remember his first BBCOR home run like it was yesterday though. As a 13U he bounced one off the top of the RF light pole at The Gabe at Craig Ranch. Good stuff!

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                          haha, I have boy/girl twins (8 y/o) both did rec/select (son did 10U and 8U) this year and will do only "select" for summer/fall and going forward (both have played 4 years already). My girl was baseball to get competitive, now she plays for a softball team that's bringing home 1st place every weekend when their dugout is good - does not place otherwise, so she is learning that side of the game (mental) with her team mates.

It's amazing how involved we can get in this sport with the kids, but when you find the right team every weekend tournament is a blast and it sucks missing any of them when there are scheduling conflicts.

....and yes the money is outrageous, but the time spent and memories are worth it. We have 0 time for anything else, but you only get so many years with your kids.

What really is bad for the sport is some of the terrible parents/coaches. We all understand the frustrations that go with the game - regardless of what side of the fence you're on - but just keep quiet, no reason to escalate situations/frustrations.

Good luck to your boys going forward.
                          Thanks! Good luck to your kids. All I ever want for my boys (I have two that play) to get out of baseball is to learn how to compete both as an individual and as a team. Baseball is a game of failure, so if you can become good at it, you can be great at life. If you just happen to have some ability to go with learning to play, then it becomes lots of fun. You are correct in that the money and time investment is huge. I'm dreading when my 10U kid begins serious travel like Jordo now at 14U.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post

Not to direct at anyone particular but this is my concern with youth sports.

Kids are being rode hard and pushed in only one direction. Even if the kid is "driving" it with their passion I don't really agree. All of their spare time is spent in a single environment. I'm all for extra curricular but to me there needs a to be a balance including sports, education, volunteering, music, friends, etc all outside of the school. Spending all the free time in a sport doesn't lead to good development of a kid into a good person. I think this leads to the selfish attitudes of the gen z and going fforwsrd. There are rare kids who can handle it but otherwise it's my opinion it's a disservice to the kids.

Youth sports has turned into a business. Look at all of these huge complexes being built all over the country for $M's. Tournaments, travel, fees, required private lessons to be on the team when in the off season, etc. All for what? Nothing really other than thst experience of the game. Most of these parents are clueless about the potential and future of their kids in sports.

I get this is our chsnce to have our kids be kids. Not trying to be an asshole or accuse anyone but more to generate discussion on the topic as my kids are still very young.

It's cool to see the success of these kids and hope they can continue to excel as the other kids begin to develop around them.

Comment

What I find sad about youth sports today is all the specialization. Kids don’t get to try sports, try different sports, or even try multiple positions anymore. You just pick one as an embryo and get pidgeon holes there for life.

Comment

There will be assumptions made and negative opinions given regardless of the situation or topic.

Comment

Working...
                                X