Replacing a lock on a gun safe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing a lock on a gun safe

I currently have a Cannon safe with an electronic lock. I wasn't crazy about the lock being electronic since I have worked with electronics for a number of years and have seen how easily they break. Last thing I want is for a diode or resistor to fail and prevent me from getting in my safe. I did an online chat on the cannon website and the electronic locks can be changed to mechanical at my cost (locks are not covered by warranty after a year anyway). I did some searching and the S&G website linked me to a distributor and the dial locks are $30 to $60, which is not bad.

Does anyone have any experience with safes? I plan on hiring a locksmith to do the conversion if I go through with it, but only if it is economical; I don't want to spend as much on the conversion as I did on the safe. I am just curious how hard it would be to swap locks. I assume it would be something I would not want to tackle myself just out of fear of fucking something in the safe up. The only thing I can get to come up with google is how to change the combination.
    I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

I can't remember where they hell I read it but I think it's around 100 dollars for the lock switch or no more then 200.

Should be easy enough to call one up and verify. Was it one of the non-fireproof Cannon safes or one of their higher end ones? (just trying to figure out what would be considered economical)
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I literally cannot fit any more guns into my safe. I need a new one.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
        Same here. Between guns and Nikon gear, I don't have any more room and my safe is 6' tall and 40" wide by 30" deep.

To the OP, my safe is 10 years old, and the electronic S&G lock works just like it did when I bought it. I picked up my safe on 9/9/2001, just two days before the terrorist attacks.

Comment

That's my problem, the safe I just got fits all the guns I just have at my house alone... not including all the ones I keep at my parents.
          "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

I'm just trying to figure out how I can get into a larger safe for a reasonable amount of money.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I'm just trying to figure out how I can get into a larger safe for a reasonable amount of money.
              Ahem.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                I can't remember where they hell I read it but I think it's around 100 dollars for the lock switch or no more then 200.

Should be easy enough to call one up and verify. Was it one of the non-fireproof Cannon safes or one of their higher end ones? (just trying to figure out what would be considered economical)
                It has a 30 minute fireproof rating; it is one of their mid-level safes. Cost about $600 or so brand new, so $100 or so would be worth it just for the peace of mind.

Between ammo and guns my safe is pretty much full as well. I think I can fit one more rifle and maybe two handguns IF I don't buy more ammo, but there is a gun show this weekend in Odessa so we will see how that works out for me.

I have heard of the electronic S&G locks lasting years, but then I have heard of them going to shit in under a year. Mine is about 3 years old so maybe I got a good one, but it still scares me to think of being locked out of my own safe. I will try to call the local locksmith tomorrow and get a quote; if it is less than $200 I will do it just to put my mind at ease. I have seen to many fried circuit boards to really feel good about an electronic lock.

Wish my sister still worked at Academy; she got me a 25% discount for this safe when she worked there; I saved almost $200 on that one purchase, not to mention the ammo and gun savings she had. If only I had bought two safes at once.....

Comment

S&G mechanical lock

Around D/FW its about 155.00 to swap out an e-lock and install a mech + lock cost ,make sure its a model 6730 S&G not a knock off your finding.
                  Your right to change it, when a mech. gives trouble an experienced safe tech can likely still get it open. But when a e-lock takes a crap your done most of the time.

Comment

Just got a quote for $225 from one local locksmith. I am still waiting on another to call me back Monday or Tuesday. Looks like it might turn out to be a little more expensive than I'd oringinally thought; I was guessing it would be under $200. Hopefully I'll hear more next week.

Comment

Don't bother replacing the lock. If it is the normal S&G key pad lock I can open the safe in about 5 minutes if it fails. By the way; they never fail.
                      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

5 min safe opening

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
                        Don't bother replacing the lock. If it is the normal S&G key pad lock I can open the safe in about 5 minutes if it fails. By the way; they never fail.
                        Horseshit and again Horseshit.

Comment

5 min safe opening

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
                          Oh yea i forgot something HORSESHIT.
                          Internet Safe Crackers we're all in trouble.

I replace 2-300 safe locks a year at least 25% are NORMAL S&G(6120,6123,Z02,Z02 rotary, normal S&G) they all quit, don't let anyone Bullshit you.
                          I'm not saying they're bad they quit just like anything else. 10,11,12 years is the exception rather than the rule on an e-lock.
                          If you use it once a week of course it will last longer than 20 times a day.
                          Iv'e opened safes a week old and some 20 years old with e-locks on them. If you have an total e lock failure and yes an Normal S&G its not opening in 5 min. and i mean to the point past pushing buttons and battery changing then safe opening begins.
                          Last edited by loc712; 08-26-2011, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                            Ahem.
                            wanna trade up?

Comment

Originally posted by loc712 View Post
                              Oh yea i forgot something HORSESHIT.
                              Internet Safe Crackers we're all in trouble.

I replace 2-300 safe locks a year at least 25% are NORMAL S&G(6120,6123,Z02,Z02 rotary, normal S&G) they all quit, don't let anyone Bullshit you.
                              I'm not saying they're bad they quit just like anything else. 10,11,12 years is the exception rather than the rule on an e-lock.
                              If you use it once a week of course it will last longer than 20 times a day.
                              Iv'e opened safes a week old and some 20 years old with e-locks on them. If you have an total e lock failure and yes an Normal S&G its not opening in 5 min. and i mean to the point past pushing buttons and battery changing then safe opening begins.
                              I assume then you are a locksmith? I am in Midland; one company has quoted $225, the others had to get back with me this coming week, but that is a little higher than I was hoping it would be. When I was in the AF I had to change the combination to our building about once a month, so I am somewhat familiar with combination locks, but by no means anywhere near an expert. What are the chances of me swapping out my S&G 6120 for say a mechanical 6730 (or similar) and not fucking myself? I have a pretty good electrical / mechanical background so it's not like it'd be going in there and just randomly removing anything. I looked up the installation instructions on the S&G website and it does not look that difficult since the current lock works and I can get into the safe without any problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X