The yamaha VMAX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
    Yeah the Vmax is just a cruiser frame with a sportbike motor and straightline they are kind of fun. That is an 07 I owned and it was fun to ride but just felt dated and bulky. Plus you would think in the 20 years or so of making them they would not still have issues. My Vrod was hands down a better bike in my opinion. It had forward controls and was very comfy on the highway or cruising around in the twisties. The ole Porsche designed motor is as solid as you can get in a sport cruiser. Lots and lots of people turbo and supercharge them with no issues. My Vrod was an 02 and to be the first year of a bike it had no real issues. I am a sportbike guy at heart but just tired of the riding position and numb hands. I will have another Vrod one day but for now I love puttering around on my Electra. It truley is like a big moped and I am okay with that. Hell it is a 96 and I owned a 1600 Vulcan before it. People that knock Harleys have never rode one. My 96 is way more balanced then my 06 Vulcan was and shifts way smoother.

The v-max does not have a sportbike motor. It has a v4 where the sportbikes have an inline 4. The v-rod has a 1250cc v-twin.

Comment

Originally posted by gnturboray View Post
      The v-max does not have a sportbike motor. It has a v4 where the sportbikes have an inline 4. The v-rod has a 1250cc v-twin.
      V4's have been used in sportbikes for over 20 years....Honda pretty much established the modern sportbike with its VF750F Interceptor in 82 and made several versions thru the 80's in smaller and larger displacement. The V-Max V4 wasn't used in any Yamaha sportbikes that I know of but it was used in the larger Touring Voyager. The Honda V4 was used in the Interceptor 400, 500, 750, 1000 as well as the Magnas and Sabres...and also one of the most successful racebikes ever raced (RC30 and the RC45). An INLINE 4 does not make a sportbike, and there are quite a few sportbikes with inline and V twin's.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
        Neither of them can go more than a 100 miles on a full tank (the Vrod is more like 80 on a tank), neither handle worth a damn, neither of them are all that comfortable (especially the lack of wind protection on the highway), and they are both expensive and hard to work on.
        The Vrod has a 5 gallon tank. I had an '08 VRSCDX and was getting 150 or more to tank.
        HD Parts
        paul@maverickhd.com

Comment

Originally posted by 89stangGT View Post
          The Vrod has a 5 gallon tank. I had an '08 VRSCDX and was getting 150 or more to tank.
          Never owned one I was just going by what a buddy of mine that has one was telling me...guess it could be the way he rides or maybe he's just full of shit (prolly the latter). He told me he couldn't ride more than 90 miles without getting nervous. On a side note me and some buddies did a leisurely ride to Hard 8 bbq in Stephenville last Thursday and I managed to squeeze 259 miles out of the 5.4 gallons it took to top off when I got back home on my Blackbird...thats almost 50mpg

Comment

Never owned one I was just going by what a buddy of mine that has one was telling me...guess it could be the way he rides or maybe he's just full of shit (prolly the latter). He told me he couldn't ride more than 90 miles without getting nervous. On a side note me and some buddies did a leisurely ride to Hard 8 bbq in Stephenville last Thursday and I managed to squeeze 259 miles out of the 5.4 gallons it took to top off when I got back home on my Blackbird...thats almost 50mpg:shoc
            ked:
            02-05 I think came with a 3.5 gallon tank iirc. 100 miles was the smart fill up since the one major flaw was the gas gauge. It would go down but not up after accelerating.
            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Never owned one I was just going by what a buddy of mine that has one was telling me...guess it could be the way he rides or maybe he's just full of shit (prolly the latter). He told me he couldn't ride more than 90 miles without getting nervous. On a side note me and some buddies did a leisurely ride to Hard 8 bbq in Stephenville last Thursday and I managed to squeeze 259 miles out of the 5.4 gallons it took to top off when I got back home on my Blackbird...thats almost 50mpg
              I regularly. Get 50 or better sometimes On my star.
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Sounds about right. I'm riding a 2010 Sportster XR1200 right now with a 3.5 gallon tank. I get the low fuel light between 100-105 miles and I'm sucking fumes at 120.

Harley twins have never been known for great fuel economy.

Comment

I've been trying to find a Harley rental place that rents XR1200s here. No joy so far only the cruisers.

Sent from my iPhone
                  2004 Suzuki DL650
                  1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

Originally posted by Downs View Post
                    I've been trying to find a Harley rental place that rents XR1200s here. No joy so far only the cruisers.

Sent from my iPhone
                    I've never seen them for rent either. I've seen only cruisers and Vrods

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                      02-05 I think came with a 3.5 gallon tank iirc. 100 miles was the smart fill up since the one major flaw was the gas gauge. It would go down but not up after accelerating.

lol. yeah. Had to take my '08 in twice for the gas gauge that stopped working. they could never figure out what was wrong with it.
                      HD Parts
                      paul@maverickhd.com

Comment

Originally posted by bucky View Post
                        Sounds about right. I'm riding a 2010 Sportster XR1200 right now with a 3.5 gallon tank. I get the low fuel light between 100-105 miles and I'm sucking fumes at 120.

Harley twins have never been known for great fuel economy.
                        completely different bike though. The Vrod has a different motor and is more geared for drag. I got better mileage around the city than on the highway. Vrod also has a gas guage AND a low fuel light. The Vrod also has the gas tank under the seat and the airbox is above the motor. that's how it was a 5 gal tank.
                        HD Parts
                        paul@maverickhd.com

Comment

Originally posted by Downs View Post

Sent from my iPhone
                          ANY HD dealership will let you take a XR1200 or XR1200X out for a spin, as long as you have your class M license.
                          HD Parts
                          paul@maverickhd.com

Comment

Had it since I was 16. I want to rent one for a few days not for a demo ride.
                            2004 Suzuki DL650
                            1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

V4's have been used in sportbikes for over 20 years....Honda pretty much established the modern sportbike with its VF750F Interceptor in 82 and made several versions thru the 80's in smaller and larger displacement. The V-Max V4 wasn't used in any Yamaha sportbikes that I know of but it was used in the larger Touring Voyager. The Honda V4 was used in the Interceptor 400, 500, 750, 1000 as well as the Magnas and Sabres...and also one of the most successful racebikes ever raced (RC30 and the RC45). An INLINE 4 does not make a sportbike, and there are quite a few sportbikes with inline and V twin's.
                              Im talking about the current modern sport bikes which are the street versions of the AMA race bikes. The RC51's and the TLR's of the world are the v-Twin sport bikes of yester year. The Honda Super Hawk, the Suzi SV's, are FZ's, are sport touring.
                              Last edited by gnturboray; 05-29-2012, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 89stangGT View Post
                                ANY HD dealership will let you take a XR1200 or XR1200X out for a spin, as long as you have your class M license.
                                And sometimes without. Longhorn let me ride anything they had with a waver signed.
                                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
                                X