Is a 250F enough power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a 250F enough power?

Ok eyeballing a super clean 08 KTM 250XCF. I am 511 235, will the beast do what I need it to do. I do not ride like I use to but I want to get out and play some. I was looking at the 350's but they are priced like gold compared to everything else. Any of you fella's dropped down to a 250 and thought, wow why have I been riding these big bikes all these years? I rode the 500's for years, then switched to a 250t for a long time with no issues. Of course I slimmed down a bit also. Really just wanting to trail ride and do some light jumping. Oh and electric start is a must, my knee says FU on the kicking anymore (only reason I sold my 04 450f). Last 250t I had was a 03 KX250 and I just sold the Yama a month ago. Should I just wait for a deal on a KTM 450? I refuse to buy a DB new since they probably have the worst deprecation of anything.
    Whos your Daddy?

I am 6'1 210 and my 250f's I have had in the past got me around the track just fine. I had to wring it out everywhere to maintain momentum to get over obstacles but you can be fast on them. I just sold my 2015 yz250f that had headwork, TB, 276cc big bore, exhaust, etc and it made 48hp/26lb-ft torque! I currently have a 2016 KTM 250sxf that I am doing similar work to. It will have over 50hp!

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
      I am 6'1 210 and my 250f's I have had in the past got me around the track just fine. I had to wring it out everywhere to maintain momentum to get over obstacles but you can be fast on them. I just sold my 2015 yz250f that had headwork, TB, 276cc big bore, exhaust, etc and it made 48hp/26lb-ft torque! I currently have a 2016 KTM 250sxf that I am doing similar work to. It will have over 50hp!
      I won't lie the new YZ250FX is tempting. I found a really clean 06 CR450FX tonight but the guy is making me a deal on the KTM I may not be able to pass up. Plus I have always wanted to try a KTM. I had a 13 KTM 450 lined up but the guy threw me some line about he had no idea the front wheel was out of true. In all my years of riding I have never bent a front wheel much less that bad.

Thanks for the feedback.
      Last edited by kingjason; 03-25-2016, 09:49 PM.
      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I just got off a 250f to get back on a 2 smoke. They have plenty of power for big guys as long as it's not a triple out of a corner.

Comment

if you plan on riding a lot, get a 450. easier to maintain.

Comment

Originally posted by snacksnack View Post
            I just got off a 250f to get back on a 2 smoke. They have plenty of power for big guys as long as it's not a triple out of a corner.
            Sir I can assure you I am not messing with no triples. I like big smooth tabletops and mainly trail riding and screwing off these days. Shit I went down a few months ago and thought I broke some ribs. Damn kid was following me and I thought " this little fker is not passing me". Yeah I overshot a corner and went down on a flat slide. He laughed when I told him why I wiped out as he helped me pick the bike up and then load it later.

The KTM has 89.7 hours on the stock top end. I am worried it will need one fairly quick but the guy is in his 50's and said he just trail rode it. Guess I could big bore it. Oh and what the hell. I researched bike weights today. My 04 450, this KTM 250f, my 03 YZ250t, and the newer 450's all weight about 221 lbs. I have always heard everyone talk about the smaller bikes but really they all weigh the same. I guess the milder power delivery makes them easier to ride?
            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I prefer 250f's over 450s. The 450s feel so damn heavy and cumbersome. Outside of low end grunt, or serious altitude, I think the 250f is fine.

Comment

Well I rode a 2012 CRF250x today that had a whopping 49 miles on it. Guy wants 3750 for it. First gear was peppy but second and up was just not doing it for me on the street. Maybe I wasn't keeping it revved up enough or something but I wasn't sure. Maybe I just need to give it a spin in the dirt. I have a 2012 KTM450SXF lined up also with worked suspension for my weight , low hours (Unknown total), and minty clean but I haven't rode it yet or seen it. I guess the big bikes just spoil me and make me lazy not having to shift gears all the time and power on demand. I will figure it out and pick one up on Wed. I did like that the 250 was like brand new.
                Last edited by kingjason; 03-27-2016, 10:10 PM.
                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

They do feel like turds in fields, roads and flat land in general but they do work in trails and tracks.

Honestly from thinking back to some of your past post about riding you may very well be happier on the bigger bike.

Comment

Food for thought but did you know you can put electric start on the the ktm 2 strokes? I hear 300's are awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by snacksnack View Post
                      Food for thought but did you know you can put electric start on the the ktm 2 strokes? I hear 300's are awesome.
                      Yeah I think all of their new ones have it. I have been looking but you have to be fast right now or they are gone. I like the idea of not mixing the gas but I do like the fact you can do a 2 stroke top end in two hours or less.
                      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

The 300's are animals, great bikes.

If you're interested, called SMS KTM, and talk to Todd Tarver. He can find you one, or let you know when one comes in. Probably not a bad idea to join some of the local racing facebook pages. Those guys seem to think they need a new bike every year so they can be competitive - not realizing they are 45, out of shape, and slow to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                          The 300's are animals, great bikes.

If you're interested, called SMS KTM, and talk to Todd Tarver. He can find you one, or let you know when one comes in. Probably not a bad idea to join some of the local racing facebook pages. Those guys seem to think they need a new bike every year so they can be competitive - not realizing they are 45, out of shape, and slow to begin with.
                          Yeah the guy that had the 13 450 with the bent wheel had a new 450 decked out. I have got it narrowed down to three and two are not even advertised so Wed I will have one most likely. Thanks though.
                          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I'm 6'2" and 235lb, and I just bought a 15 yz450f with Factory Connection B kit on it. Best bike I've owned. Had CRF450Rs, KTM450SXF, KX450F, etc. Suspension is awesome, lots of power, etc.

So, for me, the 450 is the way to go. Easier to ride, easier to maintain long term, etc.

Comment

The 450 won out. Had I known the weather was going to peter out I would have eased up to RRMT.
                              Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Working...
                              X