Travel Trailer people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel Trailer people

Who owns a travel trailer? What is the difference of a 5th wheel vs a tow-behind? What is better between the two? Looking at possibly getting a Keystone 5th wheel or a tow-behind. Thanks.

Bumper pulls are super fun to pull in heavy cross winds...🤣

Comment

What you base your decision on should mainly depend on what kind of tow vehicle you have and it’s towing capability. Fifth wheelers are usually heavier, offer more creature comforts and are connected via goose neck, which have more stability and are easier to back up.

Comment

Sister has a 31ft bumper pull, weighs 6500lbs. My parents have a 36' 5th wheel, weighs 10K. The 5th wheel has WAY more room, more comfortable, better amenities, and a house sized bathroom.

I pulled the bumper pull with an 00 Expedition 5.4L, it was the scariest experience of my life. Even with a weight distributing hitch, sucker was all over the road, 45-50mph was as fast as I could comfortably go. I tried more tongue weight, less tongue weight, no effect. Traffic on I20 stopped dead and that trailer was pushing me big time until the trailer brakes came in hard.

Next time I pulled it, I wasn't fucking around, I got my 00 Dodge 2500 quad cab V10 4x4 with a 4" suspension lift. This truck is an absolute monster for towing, basic hitch and I rolled 70mph all day long with it.

The expedition has a towing capacity of 7Klbs. My dad's 19 Ram 1500 also towed it fairly easy, but it did have some sway, that truck is rated at like 8700lbs.

The 5th wheel, my parents have an 00 F250 V10. Stupid easy to pull, even in wind it's not difficult to control.

I would go 5th wheel without hesitation, if you have enough truck to do it.

Comment

The downside to a 5th wheel is having to have a truck, with substantial loss of bed space, so less optimal for families, but today's crew cabs are pretty accommodating. A minor inconvenience is that when set up with the right tires and suspension for towing a heavy trailer, your ride quality will be racecar stiff when tooling around town. If it's a dedicated rig these are a non-issue for the most part, especially if you're pulling a jeep or similar for use at the destination.

Comment

Go buy a cheap OTR w/ auto( big boy truck) for your 5th wheel.
            Used diesel trucks will last longer than any of the big 3 for less
            than 1/2 price. Take 2 simple DMV tests and you are good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
              What you base your decision on should mainly depend on what kind of tow vehicle you have and it’s towing capability. Fifth wheelers are usually heavier, offer more creature comforts and are connected via goose neck, which have more stability and are easier to back up.
              3/4 Ton Ram. I can pull up to 14,000#. So I have options. It does appear that like you said upon researching the 5th wheel offers that extra room up front. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                The downside to a 5th wheel is having to have a truck, with substantial loss of bed space, so less optimal for families, but today's crew cabs are pretty accommodating. A minor inconvenience is that when set up with the right tires and suspension for towing a heavy trailer, your ride quality will be racecar stiff when tooling around town. If it's a dedicated rig these are a non-issue for the most part, especially if you're pulling a jeep or similar for use at the destination.
                I already have the truck, I just got a 2500 Ram. We like to travel and have family all over from CA to TX, so with the kids getting older it's something I've always wanted to get.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                  Sister has a 31ft bumper pull, weighs 6500lbs. My parents have a 36' 5th wheel, weighs 10K. The 5th wheel has WAY more room, more comfortable, better amenities, and a house sized bathroom.

I pulled the bumper pull with an 00 Expedition 5.4L, it was the scariest experience of my life. Even with a weight distributing hitch, sucker was all over the road, 45-50mph was as fast as I could comfortably go. I tried more tongue weight, less tongue weight, no effect. Traffic on I20 stopped dead and that trailer was pushing me big time until the trailer brakes came in hard.

Next time I pulled it, I wasn't fucking around, I got my 00 Dodge 2500 quad cab V10 4x4 with a 4" suspension lift. This truck is an absolute monster for towing, basic hitch and I rolled 70mph all day long with it.

The expedition has a towing capacity of 7Klbs. My dad's 19 Ram 1500 also towed it fairly easy, but it did have some sway, that truck is rated at like 8700lbs.

The 5th wheel, my parents have an 00 F250 V10. Stupid easy to pull, even in wind it's not difficult to control.

I would go 5th wheel without hesitation, if you have enough truck to do it.
                  Thanks for the info. It sounds like the consensus is that the 5th wheel is easier, roomier and the better choice.

Comment

bro to be clear, i have never owned one. my best friend, basically brother, had owned several, so he and his trials with them is where i form my opinion. also coming from racing moto and cross country i have been in way too many of these things and heard all the complaints and have seen some shit.

if you have the means, avoid the bumper pull. any goose neck/fifth wheel attaching trailer will be much better than a bumper pull. the only negatives are size and cost for the fifth wheel.

by means i am saying i know people say their half ton pulled (insert whatever here) fine, but fuck all that shit. every bit of it. a loaded travel travel with full fuel and water tanks behind a half ton is a life changing experience when shit gets real and you have to go full on stig mode because some stupid fuck does stupid fuck shit in front of you. three quarter and one tons are just safer and better at everything towing, but everyone knows that.

i have watched first person a tahoe and an expedition loose their trailer and get pulled into a ditch or off the shoulder when their medium bumper pull starts to swap or emergency braking. the smaller sixteen foot worknplays are the only thing i would pull with my half ton, but they want a lot of money basically a converted cargo trailer.

also, you need to know these things are junk. i do not care how much you paid or how nice you think it is, it is trash on wheels. make sure you have a good generator and keep it serviced. beside plumbing and your fridge not working, the generator can make or break an entire trip. that said though, you can almost bandaid anything else with a trip to homedepot or lowes.

i despise traveler trailers so much i would buy a used funmover if my wife and kids ever show real interest in riding. and those are built like shit too, just shit on top of a moving van chassis.

i think i would rent a class c motor home before i bought a travel trailer.

this is all just my own opinions bro.

Comment

i was typing and walked off forgetting was typing before you posted the truck.

solid.

Comment

So you guys are saying airstreams are a no go because bumper pull?

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                          I pulled the bumper pull with an 00 Expedition 5.4L, it was the scariest experience of my life. Even with a weight distributing hitch, sucker was all over the road, 45-50mph was as fast as I could comfortably go. I tried more tongue weight, less tongue weight, no effect.
                          Weight distribution or anti-sway? There’s a huge difference. If you had one that does not have a solid connection to the trailer a-frame then it will not control sway. I use an Equal-i-zer on mine and it’s rock solid even at 80mph with a crosswind.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                            Thanks for the info. It sounds like the consensus is that the 5th wheel is easier, roomier and the better choice.
                            It really is. They're usually a little cheaper than the bumper pull too, because people don't have the truck to pull them.

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                            Weight distribution or anti-sway? There’s a huge difference. If you had one that does not have a solid connection to the trailer a-frame then it will not control sway. I use an Equal-i-zer on mine and it’s rock solid even at 80mph with a crosswind.
                            Weight distribution. Didn't think I would need one since the Expedition goes up to 8Klbs with nothing but 3.73 gears and I had pulled 6K worth of car with that same truck. Short wheelbase + light truck + big trailer = 200 miles worth of butthole pucker.

Comment

I'll agree to bumper pull being a bitch if you want anything over maybe 24 feet. I pulled a 6000LB 28' with my 2018 S-CREW rated to something like 7,700 lbs and it was a nightmare just going to COTA. Anything over 60mph was pretty rough and the highway out there is 85mph so I was well hated.

Wind area makes a huge difference so its not just a weight thing. I also had a weight distribution hitch.

I would imagine a 2500 will be better...but never as nice as a 5th wheel.

Just rent one and try it out. Thats a big ass purchase to not at least test. If you don't have a place to store it just rent the 2-3 times a year you'll actually use it. People never use them as much as they plan unless they are retired.

Comment

Working...
                              X