Don't have a girl!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't have a girl!

for real, Caught my 13yo has been going behind our back and texting and talking to a little wanna be thug from her school. I caught her on one of my routine checks of her phone. The wrath of God has been released upon her, him and his little friends who thought it would be cool to text her around midnight last night out of the blue. So here's the thing now, any of you guys with kids with iphones happen to know an app that logs their calls and texts to your phone or a cloud? so even if they delete them they are still kept? If I ever give her her phone back I want to instantly know whats going on.

good luck! you're fighting a losing battle with girls texting

Comment

Maybe im out of the loop...What's wrong with texting a guy?

Also...teenagers (and people in general) are going to do what they want to do. So overreacting just means they know they cant come to you to talk about it and will have to hide things better. Itll just drive a divide.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
        Maybe im out of the loop...What's wrong with texting a guy?

Also...teenagers (and people in general) are going to do what they want to do. So overreacting just means they know they cant come to you to talk about it and will have to hide things better. Itll just drive a divide.
        I never told her she couldn't date, I told her I had to meet the kid first. So she went to great lengths to keep it from me. Also There's nothing wrong with texting with her guy friends, it's the setting his number to do not disturb so it doesn't make a sound when he texts, and the texting till 1:30am on week days, and the lying to us about why she wants to get to school early saying she wants to hang out with a girlfriend but really its this guy. or the don't call until after my parents are asleep. all the lies are what got her in hot water.

Comment

I don't know about going all big brother on her phone. However, to answer your question. Yes, many apps to monitor activity. Depending on your model, it's built into the phone. You have to enable Parent mode and configure it. https://www.iphonefaq.org/archives/976696

With that being said, keep in mind that one sure fire way to really piss off a teenage girl is to make them feel like you are invading their privacy.

I understand your concern, but it could cause estrangement. Tread lightly.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post

I've always told her that she can come to us about anything, and that the worst trouble she'll ever get in with me is if I find out from someone else. I'm on her side, and I want to help her get through hard times as she grows up. I can't do that if she doesn't tell me or her mom.

Comment

Originally posted by 4bangen View Post
              I've always told her that she can come to us about anything, and that the worst trouble she'll ever get in with me is if I find out from someone else. I'm on her side, and I want to help her get through hard times as she grows up. I can't do that if she doesn't tell me or her mom.
              Very clearly she feels she cant be honest with you...and obviously doesnt trust that she really can come to you about anything.

What you tell her doesnt mean a damn thing....what you show her does. My parents used to say the same shit..."you can always talk to us". But I know that really meant "as long as you're doing exactly what I want you to...you can talk to us without getting in trouble ". Her priorities and your priorities dont align here...and she's going to do what she wants.

Hopefully she responds well and I'm over thinking it. But when I was in this position it just meant I had to get better at hiding things.

Comment

if her bedroom is on the first floor and has a window, plant a shit ton of cactus around it. At some point, there will be someone sneaking in or out of that bish

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
                  I don't know about going all big brother on her phone. However, to answer your question. Yes, many apps to monitor activity. Depending on your model, it's built into the phone. You have to enable Parent mode and configure it. https://www.iphonefaq.org/archives/976696

With that being said, keep in mind that one sure fire way to really piss off a teenage girl is to make them feel like you are invading their privacy.

I understand your concern, but it could cause estrangement. Tread lightly.
                  I also agree with this. I had the difficulty of "letting go". I wanted to do the same exact thing you want to do but in reality, that's a major invasion of privacy and could backfire exponentially.

I'd focus more on locking it down via an app so that it's useless past a certain time. Just know they're always going to find a way via apps. The harder you try, the more they will try. And unless you're just one app savy mf'er, you'll always be one step behind. One way to make it difficult as far as them using other apps is to gain control of the iTunes account that it uses. Then lock the phone down to require a passcode for all downloads. If you do this, just know that at some point they will learn that they can set the phone to record the screen (forget the actual name of it) but it will record everything that's on the screen...including your passcode.

Teenagers are some sneaky, yet resourceful, sonsabitches

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                    if her bedroom is on the first floor and has a window, plant a shit ton of cactus around it. At some point, there will be someone sneaking in or out of that bish
                    Her widows are alarmed, and we have a camera covering all entry and exit points on the exterior of the house.

Comment

This sounds like the kinds of things teenagers do. They are teens and since you were a teen once, you know what they go through trying to grow up and have fun doing it.

As a parent, you have to pick your battles. Give them room to grow and be their own person while protecting and guiding them. I am going through the same kinds things with my teens now. Mom thinks I'm too lenient, but I would rather have them trust me enough to come to me when they really need it, than to shut off communication with me because I ride them like a horse. Besides, she seems to delight in doing the dirty work.

Good luck.

Comment

bro, so pumped i have boys.

good luck with this shit. whatever you do, it will be wrong.

so go medium and see how it plays out.

Comment

Comment

Are you really that surprised? What did you think she was going to do with a cell phone?

You should prepare yourself for when somebody catches her smoking weed in a year or two.
                            2012 GT500

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X