Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turns out nobody cares about oil filter placement...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The F-150's don't really appeal to me. We had one for a week or two as a loner when the wife's car was getting worked on. 5.0l 4x4 4 door XLT. It was quite large, and had okay power, but the bed was smaller than the one on my 83 ranger, and gas mileage blew.
    The new Ranger is more what I think would be useful for me, but that's just a ton of money. (this coming from the idiot that bought two 6th gen GT premiums! lol) I think I'm just out on new cars in general, so what ever opinion I have it void.
    Last edited by 4bangen; 01-31-2019, 04:26 PM.

Comment

The market might be different today than it was 10-15 years ago, but the negligible price difference between the price tag on the ranger and the f150 was it's demise back then. Sounds like we're bringing that back too. Maybe people just dont want that big of a truck. The new ranger is roughly the size of my f100.
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I change my own oils on all four of my vehicles and rotate my own tires. Fuck those monkeys at oil change and tire places.

I like the new Ranger and would purchase one if I needed a truck with a bed and not a full size truck...
        Originally posted by Silverback
        Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

I have 9 work trucks that I do all of the maintenance on including oil changes. Since 5 are the exact same model I keep a pretty good stock of spare parts. Rockauto must love me because I consistently spend about 20 grand a year with them between my work vehicles and personal vehicles. I do the work on all of my own personal cars as well.
          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I missed whatever the issue is with the oil filter?

Comment

Originally posted by frank View Post
              i missed whatever the issue is with the oil filter?
              have to take a wheel off to get to it.

Comment

Originally posted by 4bangen View Post
                have to take a wheel off to get to it.
                Well, that's just bonkers. I wonder what all the 3rd world people are gonna do.

Comment

Have a Chrysler that to change the battery, the left front wheel and plastic fender well liner have to come off. Needless to say, the OEM battery was replaced by the time it was 4 years old as insurance against it crapping out away from home.

Comment

Originally posted by Blandnuts View Post
                    Well, that's just bonkers. I wonder what all the 3rd world people are gonna do.
                    No shit, if it takes you more than a couple of minutes to grab a floor jack, two pumps and a lug wrench to pull a tire off, well you don't need to be doing oil changes or any type of vehicle work/maintenance on your shit...
                    Originally posted by Silverback
                    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

For me the cost savings is pretty negligible changing you're own oil, hauling it to recycle, and clean up vs. paying someone to do it and be on my merry way in less than 30 minutes.

Comment

Like @Rick Modena though, I don’t trust the monkeys at a lube shop to use the oil I want to use or to do the change correctly every time.

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                          Like @Rick Modena though, I don’t trust the monkeys at a lube shop to use the oil I want to use or to do the change correctly every time.
                          It helps when you know said "monkeys" and remember when you were one once.

/me steps off his high horse

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                            For me the cost savings is pretty negligible changing you're own oil, hauling it to recycle, and clean up vs. paying someone to do it and be on my merry way in less than 30 minutes.
                            I have to change the oil every 7 weeks in my trucks, if I went to a local lube shop for that it would be close to 6k per year just for oil changes. Doing it myself it is about 40 percent of that.
                            Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                              I have to change the oil every 7 weeks in my trucks, if I went to a local lube shop for that it would be close to 6k per year just for oil changes. Doing it myself it is about 40 percent of that.
                              There is such a thing as a contract where you negotiate rates. More importantly, they assume liability.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                                There is such a thing as a contract where you negotiate rates. More importantly, they assume liability.
                                No going to happen with me. I may bitch about the money but in truth I am just a control freak and don't want them touching my shit. The oil change places also use shit filters whereas I use top quality ones.

In the past even mechanics that I know and trust have fucked up so badly that they had to buy a new engine from me. I have found that I can not get the quality of work that I provide myself from anyone at any price.

Comment

Working...
                                X