First paint job in progress......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave View Post
    I have it wet sanded to 1000 right now. I compounded a small area and it looks great. I'm just wondering if after the 2 medium coats of clear, and some 1000 blocking if there is enough clear left to just step up grits, buff and polish. I know it will have some peel, that's cool. I'm only out a few hundred bucks for the whole job. Well I plan to be finished soon and start my other project, in which paint is the ONLY thing done.
    I'm sure many people will tell you that the two coats are in enough, but I'd be leary about it. I was taught to always lay down 3 good coats at the very least. if I were you, I would concentrate on getting the clear you have really nice and flat with 1000 grit and shoot another 2 goats on it. cut and buff again and you should have something really nice and deep.
    --carlos

sigpic

Comment

Most clears that you would use in a garage are not a real high solid and designed to dry pretty fast. I agree on blocking the whole thing with 1k and putting on 2 more coats. In the future use 3 coats the first time and buff.

With a lot of the clears I use in a bake booth you just use 2 coats, I never go with 3 with the high solid clears.

Comment

Originally posted by sdun View Post
        Most clears that you would use in a garage are not a real high solid and designed to dry pretty fast. I agree on blocking the whole thing with 1k and putting on 2 more coats. In the future use 3 coats the first time and buff.

With a lot of the clears I use in a bake booth you just use 2 coats, I never go with 3 with the high solid clears.
        The man speaks the truth, after the next two coats though I wouldn't go with anything less than 1200k or 1500 and then buff away with a 3M white pad.
        Originally posted by Silverback
        Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

You can use your da w/ an interface pad(thin foam) and 1500 3m tri-zac dry followed by 3000 tri-zac used with a spray bottle. Use just enough water to make a good lather. Then you can buff with the 3m system the pads are numbered 1-2-and 3 the compounds are numbered with corasponding numbers. Use the #1 pad with the #1 compound etc... They make it idiot proof, kinda. tape your edges till you get some experience.

Comment

OMNI materials = faded out paint job within 3 years. OMNI is cheap garbage that has almost no UV protection. I give you much credit for at least attempting to take on this challenge though. When you have to repaint it in 2-3 years, spend the money ($1000) on good materials from Dupont or PPG and you won't have to do it again.

Comment

Well I'm just about finished. I still have some compounding and fitment to do but it's looking pretty decent for a garage paint job. I need to get some parts to put the rest of the trim on.

Not bad for my first time. I had some issues with the base coat laying down too thin in some areas, and some what i guess was solvent pop (little craters) in the clear that took some good sanding to get out. After the clear was on it was easy. Not perfect but it's not a show car. One of those showed up Wednesday, assembly to start next week.

Last edited by Baba Ganoush; 08-01-2011, 01:08 AM.

Comment

That looks great and I would be proud as hell with how it turned out...

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
                  That looks great and I would be proud as hell with how it turned out...
                  Thanks, and I agree. It may not be perfect but it was my first, and I'm pleased with the results. It may only last a few years, well maybe more since I've only put 2,300 miles on the car in two years lol. Its completely stock so I may just park it and let it collect dust for a few years now, let it age gracefully. It will be a classic in about a year.

Comment

Finally finished it up this weekend. Here she is! ( a few of the pics were taken before I put the badges on.)

Comment

looks good man. If I had a place, I would paint my own car too.
                      Vortex rear stand $75
                      8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
                      My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
                      but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
                      11 4 door
                      13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by Txstang1 View Post
                        looks good man. If I had a place, I would paint my own car too.
                        Well the first time was a real challenge, but painting anything since then is a little easier now. I painted the dash on my '66 and it was quick and easy. After taking all the old paint off and masking it all off, 4 coats of parchment base and two coats of clear, it went smoothly.

Comment

I'm diggin' the black 10 holes with the silver caps. Car looks good man.

Comment

Man it turned out really good! Nice going!

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                              I'm diggin' the black 10 holes with the silver caps. Car looks good man.
                              Yeah, I'm bringing them back lol!. The center caps are worth more than the wheels, lmao. The car is 100% stock, for now. It might stay that way. It's hard to resist some upgrades.

Originally posted by Cannon88 View Post
                              Man it turned out really good! Nice going!
                              Thanks! I was pleased with the outcome. In this case, I am my harshest critic since I know where to improve next time, but it turned out nice.

Comment

It looks really good!! We painted my 'Stang in the garage too. I like the black 10 holes as well.
                                Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Working...
                                X