School Me on Buffing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave View Post
    Yes there are different firmness or abrasiveness in the pads. I wish I took more pics of my fresh paint job I just wet sanded and compound polished. I wet sanded with 1000-1500-2000 used 3M Compound ($45 bottle) and a white wool pad, then fine foam pad and 3m spray on polish. Worked perfectly. I could get the part #'s if needed.

sdun is right on, your hood looks like it lost its finish. If the compound can't bring out a shine then you're toast. No more clear. Time to repaint.
    The more I think about it the more I think that is the case. The "faded" part is only around the engine and the sides and near grill are still shiney...
    Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
    Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Well let me know if you're gonna plan on dropping by. I'll be out there working on my truck later on. So I'll be home with all my crap out.

Comment

Originally posted by waxman View Post
        Well let me know if you're gonna plan on dropping by. I'll be out there working on my truck later on. So I'll be home with all my crap out.
        That's Hawt!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
          That's Hawt!!!!
          Jealous?

Comment

I plan on being there but work has been to random lately. Last Wednesday I was in the office til midnight. I will let you know by 5 PM.
            Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
              I plan on being there but work has been to random lately. Last Wednesday I was in the office til midnight. I will let you know by 5 PM.
              Sounds good

Comment

Mike, where are you located?
                Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
                  Mike, where are you located?
                  Roanoke/Keller. 170 and Alta Vista or 35 and 170 near Alliance Airport.

Comment

Nick, first off. Thanks. Second, thanks again. Thirdly, thanks for the wool and foam pad, it helped and probably "made" this job.

Here is a before and after. I still need to polish - It got late quick and have to get up early tomorow, so I left it unfinished. This is a before and after and the after picture is a small spot I polished. The rest is just compounded.

I was battling daylight badly and after I stopped, I stood back and smoked a cigarette and I noticed quite a few places that I need to tackle where there is still some wet sanding rough patches.

If I can get every car like this I want to go around and polish cars! lulz...

Anyways, here they are:

Last edited by 347Mike; 08-01-2011, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Very nice! Man that hood was dull. Shined right up.

Comment

No problem! Glad we were able to find a solution.

Comment

I can't stop looking at the comparisons. lol I am sure you could spot the imperfections but I think it came out pretty good.

Thanks again.

Comment

Nick,

Can you send me the link to the online store you use? I want to buff the rest of the truck and would like to get some pads. The pad connector you gave me is a 6", right?

Oh and btw, the one that came with my polishing is larger than the one you gave me.

Comment

Nice work! Nick is def someone you could learn a ton from and do as he says!

Comment

I got it all finished and it is not as nice as the first new picture I posted. It seems as if I didn't wet sand enough the really bad areas and it still has a little bit of the dull affect. Given the fact I had shit for light and practically worked in the dark last night, I think it came out alright.

I am not going to fuck with it anymore seeing as I just finished and don't want to do the whole process over and accidently burn the clear. It is 100 times better IMO than before and was my first job. So I am happy to say the least.

It was a good learning experience and will probably finish the truck this weekend. Thanks again, Nick.

Comment

Working...
                                X