Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
    You STILL haven't used that damn thing?
    If you knew how much shit I do on a daily basis you wouldn't be surprised.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
      If you knew how much shit I do on a daily basis you wouldn't be surprised.
      Just seems like forever ago that you bought it. Not bagging on you.
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
        Just seems like forever ago that you bought it. Not bagging on you.
        It's been a while. I initially bought it to re shoot some panels on my F100. I ended up selling the truck to build up a Jeep. I bought a rolled Jeep TJ and built it up and had to replace a lot of body panels. I have 1 more set of panels and some chassis work to finish and then I'll have my first opportunity to use the gun.

I'm interested in what is a good easy to shoot primer/base/clear I should look for.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I'm interested in what is a good easy to shoot primer/base/clear I should look for.
          IMO if this is the only paint job you are gonna do, or if it's something you are just gonna do out of the garage, why spend the money on a brand name gun for primer. look into the hvlp gun that harbor freight has. when I'm piddling around in the garage and shooting test panels or experimenting with pearls and metallics my primer goes down with a HF special.
          --carlos

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by projectPONY View Post
            IMO if this is the only paint job you are gonna do, or if it's something you are just gonna do out of the garage, why spend the money on a brand name gun for primer. look into the hvlp gun that harbor freight has. when I'm piddling around in the garage and shooting test panels or experimenting with pearls and metallics my primer goes down with a HF special.
            I've debated doing that. Is this because primer has a higher tendency to clog up the more expensive guns?

Comment

this is what I use when I do a paying job. it's not top of the line, but it gets the job done.

We carry the best selection of auto body tools, shop supplies, car paint, & car lifts for any garage. Call today for all your body shop needs!

BTW, you'd be surprised what the HF special can do. I've owned to of them for about 8 or 9 years and they still work fine. they come standard with a 1.4 needle and tip.
              --carlos

sigpic

Comment

this is what I use when I do a paying job. it's not top of the line, but it gets the job done.

We carry the best selection of auto body tools, shop supplies, car paint, & car lifts for any garage. Call today for all your body shop needs!

BTW, you'd be surprised what the HF special can do. I've owned to of them for about 8 or 9 years and they still work fine. they come standard with a 1.4 needle and tip.
                What exactly would be the difference for primer? I don't want to sacrifice my paint job. My Satajet 2000 has a 1.4 tip. If you're using a different gun for a pay job, that makes me wonder if it's sacrificing quality.

Comment

a 1.4 setup will get the job done providing that all you're shooting is primer sealers and fillers. if you want to shoot high build polyester primers than you will have to step up to a larger needle setup. my primer gun has a 1.8 setup.
                  --carlos

sigpic

Comment

What exactly would be the difference for primer? I don't want to sacrifice my paint job. My Satajet 2000 has a 1.4 tip. If you're using a different gun for a pay job, that makes me wonder if it's sacrificing quality.
                    the SATA guns are known for their great ability to atomize, and that is exactly what they do. better atomization means less orange peel and a nicer flow out which then equals to a lot less work afterwords.

the cheaper guns don't atomize as well, but who cares if the result is a little more orange peel. you have to block sand anyway.

is your main concern the gun's ABILITY to shoot the primer??
                    --carlos

sigpic

Comment

the SATA guns are known for their great ability to atomize, and that is exactly what they do. better atomization means less orange peel and a nicer flow out which then equals to a lot less work afterwords.

the cheaper guns don't atomize as well, but who cares if the result is a little more orange peel. you have to block sand anyway.

is your main concern the gun's ABILITY to shoot the primer??
                      my main concern is your concern why I shouldn't use it, lol.

Comment

If you're using a different gun for a pay job, that makes me wonder if it's sacrificing quality.
                        the only reason I use my expensive primer gun is because it atomizes the primer a little better. that means my final block sanding will go a little faster. time is money.
                        --carlos

sigpic

Comment

my main concern is your concern why I shouldn't use it, lol.
                          OOOH, I gotcha. if you want to use your SATA for primer, go ahead. you're not gonna damage it. it will work just fine. I wouldn't shoot polyester primers through it though. their viscosity is too great for a 1.4 IMO, you'll end up with an orange peel mess.

I know of several painters that shoot primer with a gun like yours.
                          --carlos

sigpic

Comment

pretty sure that's what I have. Been a loooong time since I've used it. Well, mine is similar but not for primer, I think.

Comment

OOOH, I gotcha. if you want to use your SATA for primer, go ahead. you're not gonna damage it. it will work just fine. I wouldn't shoot polyester primers through it though. their viscosity is too great for a 1.4 IMO, you'll end up with an orange peel mess.

I know of several painters that shoot primer with a gun like yours.
                              If you wouldn't mind, let me run through a typical paint process and let me know if I'm doing it wrong.

Bleed all water/condensation from air tank. Scuff existing paint and remove any paint with adhesion problems. Shoot with a medium build primer. Wetsand to get any sanding marks out. Thin base paint to spec, adjust HVLP gun to cigar like pattern, shoot vehicle in long passes until covered. Slightly increase flow on gun, thin clear to spec, shoot vehicle with gun slightly closer to panels in long sweeping passes with slight overlap. Additional coats when clear is still tacky. Allow to air dry for a week, wetsand any orange peel.

Is that a reasonable strategy for success? Do I need to invest in an inline drier/condensation collector? Inline air filter? Any other suggestions?

Comment

If you wouldn't mind, let me run through a typical paint process and let me know if I'm doing it wrong.

Bleed all water/condensation from air tank. Scuff existing paint and remove any paint with adhesion problems. Shoot with a medium build primer. Wetsand to get any sanding marks out. Thin base paint to spec, adjust HVLP gun to cigar like pattern, shoot vehicle in long passes until covered. Slightly increase flow on gun, thin clear to spec, shoot vehicle with gun slightly closer to panels in long sweeping passes with slight overlap. Additional coats when clear is still tacky. Allow to air dry for a week, wetsand any orange peel.

Is that a reasonable strategy for success? Do I need to invest in an inline drier/condensation collector? Inline air filter? Any other suggestions?
                                Hey, if you need a vehicle to help "practice" on, I would like to paint this pick-up bed trailer I bought. I would do any prep, and will pay for the paint. The front and inside are all rhino-lined, I just need the two sides and back of the tailgate.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X