Anyone use plex media server?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use plex media server?

I just got a new Synology server and was hoping to use it to stream movies over the internet so I can watch them from work/wherever. Seems to be a nice software but they charge $2.50 a month for mobile/streaming capabilities. My other option is to just log into the server and download it which works well on a laptop but not a phone.

Synology rocks btw

I have used it before but switched to "Qloud Media" to stream to my Android device. It seemed to work better. I don't have my PC set up anymore so I no longer use it.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
      I just got a new Synology server and was hoping to use it to stream movies over the internet so I can watch them from work/wherever. Seems to be a nice software but they charge $2.50 a month for mobile/streaming capabilities. My other option is to just log into the server and download it which works well on a laptop but not a phone.

Synology rocks btw
      xbmc will stream it over the internet.

Comment

I use the local streaming from Plex for my MP3/Movie library and iTunes library. Honestly, it is fine for that but my honest opinion is that it's a little...messy. That's about the best way I can put it. Duplicate information in different menus, on my GoogleTV it is always popping errors (but it works) and so forth. I got it due to being a cheap solution for my TV...etc, but I am paying attention to this thread myself to see alternatives.
        Originally posted by MR EDD
        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Which box did you buy. Synology is bad ass, but if you try to transcode, good luck.
          2009 Chevy Tahoe LTZ

2011 GMC Terrain SLT2

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2

Comment

I ended up getting a 1512+. I dont ever plan on transcoding off the synology, I will always use a media player of some sort.

Comment

I have 6 of these deployed at each one of my offices. 5x3tb WD's. Great units. Just used for a backup unit.
              2009 Chevy Tahoe LTZ

2011 GMC Terrain SLT2

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2

Comment

Well, I installed their media platform on the laptop and I can stream movies just fine from the synology. Im at work and just finished up Hunger Games. I have it set to 720p and it streams just fine from home. This is on their free platform. I assume that the plex plus is for the mobile platform only.

Synolog + Plex = rocks

Comment

Synology is solid.

Comment

Working...
                  X