Carry question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carry question

So I'm searched it and can't find any clarification. So my daughters school has a small 6x6 sign that says the school is a safe zone and that firearms and tobacco are not allowed. Now for me having my ltc, is it illegal to have my pistol concealed in my truck when I'm in the parking lot? I'm not sure if by them adding that sign it bans weapons on any school property or if I can still keep it in my truck when picking up my daughter from school.

Good to go up to the school doors.
    2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

^^^^^
      What he said, Texas law only prohibits carrying on the "premises" of a school which they define as the building(s) and not the parking lots or sidewalks. State law in this situation trumps whatever restrictions an ISD might attempt to add.
      Last edited by The King; 02-16-2018, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Questions about Texas school law? TASB’s School Law eSource provides access to helpful resources that address the questions most frequently asked of TASB Legal Services.
        Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I was told when I went to get my chl that if I’m to get pulled over in a school zone don’t stop in the school zone. Go right past it and they can’t get you for having a gun on you or in your truck. Now this has been 4 years ago and I know some stuff has changed. But I wouldn’t be out waving it around or anything. I always have a gun hidden on me on near me in my truck when I take my kids to school and I just make sure to follow all the laws to not have an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Blackout View Post
            I was told when I went to get my chl that if I’m to get pulled over in a school zone don’t stop in the school zone. Go right past it and they can’t get you for having a gun on you or in your truck. Now this has been 4 years ago and I know some stuff has changed. But I wouldn’t be out waving it around or anything. I always have a gun hidden on me on near me in my truck when I take my kids to school and I just make sure to follow all the laws to not have an issue.

Though allowed to do so, I never open carry and don't have any desire to do so where permitted. Would rather not show my cards so to speak to the other players. Interesting that schools do not post conspicuous 30.06/30.07 signage at their entrances, but then again they need not do so since Texas law already specifically prohibits carrying on their premises.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackout View Post

When I took my first class maybe 10 years ago, they were very clear that "premises" doesn't include parking lots or sidewalks and definitely wouldn't include any stretch of road inside a school zone.
              Originally posted by Broncojohnny
              HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Probably should be mentioned but any sporting events held at the school (gym, field, etc) would be a no no for carry from what I understand

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                  Though allowed to do so, I never open carry and don't have any desire to do so where permitted. Would rather not show my cards so to speak to the other players. Interesting that schools do not post conspicuous 30.06/30.07 signage at their entrances, but then again they need not do so since Texas law already specifically prohibits carrying on their premises.

You know I never thought about that. That is weird that they don’t have that out front. But perhaps they don’t need it cause it’s a law you can’t carry on school grounds so theirs no need to post it.

Comment

The link that @kingjason posted includes that interpretation too. Hospitals however must do so, and the ones I’ve seen along with doctor’s office buildings all do. In the case of businesses, I still follow a personal policy of not spending a dime at any one that chooses to do so.

Comment

Ok I just wanted to make sure that the fact they put a sign out front that I'm still allowed to have it in my vehicle. As mentioned I don't intend to do anything to get stopped but if someone were to see it mounted in my truck when the door is opened, or what ever, don't want to have any issues.

I agree with the open carry, I conceal all the time as well. It's fine if someone else wants to do it, but it's not for me personally.

Comment

To tag on to this, the information posted is correct. Once you go through the doors, it's a violation. Same for a sporting event (football stadium or gym). The parking lot and your vehicle are yours though, and it's fine to carry/have one in the vehicle.

One tidbit to this that I asked the instructor when I took my class. Many, like me, are always armed in the vehicle. Say you're volunteering to work concessions or something at a school event (say a football game). You drive through a gate and to the concession stand because you have several cases of drinks to place in the concession stand. Are you still legal to have the weapon in your vehicle or not? Does driving to the concession stand constitute school grounds? He didn't have a clear cut answer and made a case to see it both ways. I took it this way -- if I'm even in that situation, someone can bring a cart to the parking lot to get the drinks...

Comment

Working...
                        X