Peruvian Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peruvian Chicken

Sharing this here, as this has quickly become a staple in our house. Some of the best chicken you'll ever have.

I've heard about this dish several times in a FB group I am in. Finally decided to do some digging and give it a shot. Most people use Kenji's recipe, which can be found at the link below. I then found an adaptation of Kenji's recipe which used lime juice for the acidity instead of vinegar. I can only handle vinegar in light doses, so I used the adaptation, and incorporated some of the things from Kenji's recipe that the adaptation did not include. The adaptation is from Jenn Segal via onceuponachef.

1 whole chicken

Marinade
    • 4t kosher salt
    • 2T cumin
    • 2T paprika
    • 1t pepper
    • 4 large cloves garlic, rough chop
    • 1t dried oregano
    • 2t sugar
    • ¼ cup lime juice (2 limes)
    • 3T EVOO
    • 4 lb chicken

Ahi Pepper sauce
    • 3 jalapenos, rough chop. Add seeds and stems for heat
    • 1 cup cilantro leaves
    • 2 cloves garlic, rough chop
    • ½ cup mayo
    • ¼ cup sour cream
    • 1T lime juice (1 lime)
    • 1/2 t salt
    • 1/8 t pepper
    • 1T aji pepper paste
    • 2T EVOO

-Mix marinade in food processer. Spatchock whole chicken. Separate skin from meat and rub underneath and on outside. Marinate overnight in ziploc in fridge. Vac seal if you have the ability.

-For pepper sauce, mix all ingredients in blender and blend. Drizzle oil in slowly, blend, refrigerate. (lots of sauce leftover, enough for 2-3 chickens, can also be used on vegetables, as dip, etc)

I cook on my egg. 350-375 dome temp, cooked indirect for 50 minutes. Remove diffuser and flip skin side down, direct over coals for 10 minutes to crisp the skin. Could be done on a regular charcoal grill if you're able to have an indirect cooking area, and a direct cooking area. Would also work in the oven (no need to spatchcock if in oven).

Enjoy. I've been eating the hell out of this.

Kenji's recipe -

Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.
Working...
X