Cold weather, Ice, Snow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
    We have to drive back from Austin tonight... late. Leaving here after 9pm. How screwed am I?
    Probably ok unless it's up towards Denton and Northward.
    2014 GT
    2013 FX2 ecoboost

Comment

• Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
      Texas may need to start investing in some snow plows and de-icing equipment like the north here. You have been getting hit quite frequently with winter storms.
      Yeah, the spreading of dirt of fucking mush so it turns into red ice doesn't exactly work. I've been carrying salt with me so I can sprinkle it for traction as I walk into some place.

Originally posted by 1carcrazyguy View Post
      Looking at how the ice is piled up by the guard rail. It is no surprise that it would jump off the bridge.
      Wonder if he started signing "Just a good ol boy...." as he went airborne?

Comment

• Lesson learned for future reference, generators are good. I've been without power for 2 days and the house got down to 20 degrees. I had the missus and kiddo wrapped up and warm and had a deep cycle marine battery for my breathing machine and to charge phones as the landline went down too.

Back up to speed now after I bought a huge ass generator. Get home and the power is restored.
        I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

• Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
          Lesson learned for future reference, generators are good. I've been without power for 2 days and the house got down to 20 degrees. I had the missus and kiddo wrapped up and warm and had a deep cycle marine battery for my breathing machine and to charge phones as the landline went down too.

Back up to speed now after I bought a huge ass generator. Get home and the power is restored.
          How exactly do you wire a generator into the home electric system or do you just plug in what you need (space heater, etc?)
          Ford
          GM
          Toyota
          VAG

Comment

• Originally posted by quikag View Post
            How exactly do you wire a generator into the home electric system or do you just plug in what you need (space heater, etc?)
            Turn off your main breaker so you don't backfeed the grid. Turn off all non essentials via the breaker box. Make a cable that will plug directly into your electrical system. Crank up generator.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wish4svts View Post
              I've been stuck on 20 east on the west side of weatherford for 6 hours now and counting.
              10 hours and counting...
              Detailing is an Obsession!!

1996 MYSTIC Cobra #405 of 2000

Fox Coupe "Calypso Killer"

Comment

• Originally posted by Wish4svts View Post
                10 hours and counting...
                Fuck a bunch of that.

Comment

• Originally posted by quikag View Post
                  As I lack many skills, I was planning on running a short extension cord to the generator and running a multiplug on that with a small heater, chargers for the laptops and phones and the router so we'd be warm and have some connection with the outside world.
                  I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

• Originally posted by Jose View Post
                    Another member of the board from El Paso is stuck in that area as well, since 3am. Can't remember his screen name but his real name is Chuck.
                    Sucks... If he's still stuck in it ... It's gonna be awhile. Jack knifed 18 wheeler taking up both lanes.
                    Detailing is an Obsession!!

1996 MYSTIC Cobra #405 of 2000

Fox Coupe "Calypso Killer"

Comment

• Originally posted by Snatch Napkin View Post
                      Turn off your main breaker so you don't backfeed the grid. Turn off all non essentials via the breaker box. Make a cable that will plug directly into your electrical system. Crank up generator.
                      Thanks! Sounds like a project for an electrician I know. I would invariably blow up the house.
                      Ford
                      GM
                      Toyota
                      VAG

Comment

• glad i called into work again, they sent a van to get my replacement and take him down south to be ready for a train.

Been in a van for 9hrs and counting. usual trip is 2-3hrs stopping for food in west.

Comment

• Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                          Lesson learned for future reference, generators are good. I've been without power for 2 days and the house got down to 20 degrees. I had the missus and kiddo wrapped up and warm and had a deep cycle marine battery for my breathing machine and to charge phones as the landline went down too.

I heard last night that my cousin in McKinney has been without power for the past 2 days. I'm told they're camping in front of the fireplace.

Thankfully, we have power still. My plan was to do the same as them: keep the fireplace blazing and use the camping gear & outdoor grill for cooking. Though, having a small generator for the phones, space heater and a portable cooktop wouldn't be a bad idea.
                          "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

• Just played ice hockey on my street.

Comment

• I'm camping by myself at Loyd Park. Got a tent, but won't head in there for a while. I'm the only person in the whole park tent camping. There are maybe 10 RVs here, but nowhere near me. It's awesome.

Comment

• Originally posted by jluv View Post
                                I'm camping by myself at Loyd Park.
                                Is that at Joe Pool Lake?

Comment

Working...
                                X