Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abraham Lincoln monument torched in Chicago: ‘An absolute disgraceful act’

Abraham Lincoln monument torched in Chicago: ‘An absolute disgraceful act’

Abraham Lincoln has joined George Washington on the list of those targeted by Chicagoans in a national debate over Civil War-era monuments.
    Alderman Raymond Lopez took to Facebook Wednesday night to decry a defaced statue of the nation’s 16th president in the Englewood neighborhood. The giant bust appears to have been damaged after someone in the 15th Ward sprayed and ignited a flammable liquid.

“What an absolute disgraceful act of vandalism. This bust of Abraham Lincoln, erected by Phil Bloomquist on August 31, 1926, was damaged & burned,” Mr. Lopez wrote, a local NBC affiliate reported. “If anyone has any information regarding this act, please contact the police or my office immediately.”

“F- Abe Lincoln,” responded Quintin Mitchell, whose comment was “liked” or deemed “funny” by 160 others.

The official’s finding came just one day after President Trump stated opposition to tearing down memorials related to America’s past with slavery.

“I wonder is it George Washington next week and is it Thomas Jefferson the week after? You know, you really do have to ask yourself, where does it stop?” Mr. Trump asked reporters on Tuesday while addressing violence in Virginia.

Heather Heyer, 32, was killed at Charlottesville protests over the removal of a statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee last weekend. Police arrested suspect James Alex Fields, 20, after he accelerated his car into a crowd.

Bishop James E. Dukes of Chicago’s Liberation Christian Center responded to Mr. Trump’s comments by calling on Mayor Rahm Emanuel to rename Washington Park and remove a statue of the first U.S. president over his ties to slavery.

“It’s time,” Mr. Dukes wrote on his Facebook page, The Washington Times reported. “Please read my letter to Mayor Rahm Emanuel and The Chicago Park District. I’m calling on them to change the names of Washington and Jackson Park. Slave owners do not deserve the honor of our children playing in parks named after them. There is no way a Native American Community would allow a General Custer Park or a Jewish Community allow a Gestapo Park in their community.”
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

interesting times ahead. Some folks need to be made an example of. So much disrespect for our country it's sickening. What a shame

Comment

In that book I recommended last week there's a whole chapter on the founding fathers, monuments, what they represent, and how we if we're going to survive as a nation we can't let those be taken away.

While I don't agree with the removal of the Confederate statues, it should be noted that Robert E. Lee himself, speaking about the Gettysburg Memorial, said this in 1869:

“I think it wiser not to keep open the sores of war but to follow the examples of those nations who endeavored to obliterate the marks of civil strife, to commit to oblivion the feelings engendered.”
      also

“As regards the erection of such a monument as is contemplated, my conviction is, that however grateful it would be to the feelings of the South, the attempt in the present condition of the Country, would have the effect of retarding, instead of accelerating its accomplishment; [and] of continuing, if not adding to, the difficulties under which the Southern people labour.”

But Lincoln? Washington? Jefferson? They can get right the fuck out of here with that bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
        In that book I recommended last week there's a whole chapter on the founding fathers, monuments, what they represent, and how we if we're going to survive as a nation we can't let those be taken away.

While I don't agree with the removal of the Confederate statues, it should be noted that Robert E. Lee himself, speaking about the Gettysburg Memorial, said this in 1869:

also

But Lincoln? Washington? Jefferson? They can get right the fuck out of here with that bullshit.
        If you take in the full context of his statement, he could have been speaking from the point of view that the war had not been over long enough and such monuments would keep wounds open. He wrote this in 1869 and the reconstruction period lasted 12 years. Who knows really.

One of the things that absolutely drives me crazy are the idiots who live in this revisionist version of history where everything is black and white.
        Originally posted by racrguy
        What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
        Originally posted by racrguy
        Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
          If you take in the full context of his statement, he could have been speaking from the point of view that the war had not been over long enough and such monuments would keep wounds open. He wrote this in 1869 and the reconstruction period lasted 12 years. Who knows really.

One of the things that absolutely drives me crazy are the idiots who live in this revisionist version of history where everything is black and white.
          Even beyond that, the lack of logic and common sense is bafffling. Do they honestly believe that a statue that has been standing 50/100 or more years (with ZERO violence and rallies to take it down) is what is holding people from improving their life? Do they really think that a statue is making whites hate blacks or vice versa? It's absurd to think like that and to try and lay blame of a statue. This country has gone to hell, and it shows no signs of making a u-turn.

Heck, how does a Dem think hanging a picture with cops depicted as boars and shooting people is okay but a statue of Robert E Lee is bad?

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
            This country has gone to hell, and it shows no signs of making a u-turn.
            And the collusion of the media with the democratic party to keep a certain block of voters in "hate" mode to keep voting for them will never allow it to make that U-turn. Got to start there first before you can turn the wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
              Do they honestly believe that a statue that has been standing 50/100 or more years (with ZERO violence and rallies to take it down) is what is holding people from improving their life?
              In short, having people foaming-at-the-mouth-angry over a bunch of statues is politically convenient at a moment when they need something, anything, to try to take down the sitting POTUS.

Here's even another way to look at it.

When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

It would be giving these insects way too much credit but,

You'd think they'd want all that around somewhere so that it wouldn't happen again. Although lincoln's monument of course wouldn't even apply for obvious reasons.
                WH

Comment

Working...
                X