Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to start an old Ford tractor ('53 Golden Jubilee)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to start an old Ford tractor ('53 Golden Jubilee)?

Got a friend who just got this tractor for his farm. When he bought it a couple weeks ago, he watched it start up on the first try, but hasn't had any luck since.

There's surely not much to it, but I couldn't make it come alive. You fellas know anything about old tractors?

Not to say the obvious, but, I would call the old owner and ask. Sometimes there's just a specific "way" to make it work.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
      Not to say the obvious, but, I would call the old owner and ask. Sometimes there's just a specific "way" to make it work.
      Tried that, got what sounded like simple instructions, and a whole lot of authentic farmer gibberish to go with it. We're hoping for something we don't need C-3P0 to translate.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
        Tried that, got what sounded like simple instructions, and a whole lot of authentic farmer gibberish to go with it. We're hoping for something we don't need C-3P0 to translate.
        haha well that was my .02. Good luck. Any pics of the tractor? I think those old tractors are pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
          haha well that was my .02. Good luck. Any pics of the tractor? I think those old tractors are pretty cool.
          Dangit, I should've taken a pic. It's in really good shape.

Looks just like this one:

Comment

They flood real easy. We don't even use the choke on ours because of this.

Open the throttle all the way while cranking it to see if it has flooded.

Just to make sure... Have you confirmed you have the three main ingredients (fuel, spark, compression) to combustion?

Comment

Pretty good looking tractor

Comment

Originally posted by Muffrazr View Post
                They flood real easy. We don't even use the choke on ours because of this.

Open the throttle all the way while cranking it to see if it has flooded.

Just to make sure... Have you confirmed you have the three main ingredients (fuel, spark, compression) to combustion?

Cool, previous owner didn't use the choke either.

I haven't spent much time with it, but we do have fuel, I didn't confirm spark or compression, but I have no reason to believe that there's any problem with either.

Chances are HIGH that it's flooded. Cranking with the throttle all the way should eventually start it, right?

What do you think is the optimal throttle position for starting when it's not flooded?

Comment

Cool, previous owner didn't use the choke either.

I haven't spent much time with it, but we do have fuel, I didn't confirm spark or compression, but I have no reason to believe that there's any problem with either.

Chances are HIGH that it's flooded. Cranking with the throttle all the way should eventually start it, right?

What do you think is the optimal throttle position for starting when it's not flooded?
                  We crank ours up at idle. If it falters a bit, then small increases until it smooths out.

If the spark plugs are horribly fouled, then you may want to pull them and let the gas evaporate before trying. Yes, if it isn't too terribly flooded then it should eventually crank up at full throttle.

Comment

We crank ours up at idle. If it falters a bit, then small increases until it smooths out.

If the spark plugs are horribly fouled, then you may want to pull them and let the gas evaporate before trying. Yes, if it isn't too terribly flooded then it should eventually crank up at full throttle.
                    Awesome, that us super-helpful. I think that's what I needed.

Thank you sir!

Edit: if this thing is maximally flooded, what would we do to fix that? This thing doesn't have a carb that's like anything I've ever seen.

Comment

Awesome, that us super-helpful. I think that's what I needed.

Thank you sir!

Edit: if this thing is maximally flooded, what would we do to fix that? This thing doesn't have a carb that's like anything I've ever seen.
                      IF it won't crank up that way, then remove the spark plugs and let it sit for a while. Take this time to clean them up.

The carb is a super simple one, which makes it baffling when something doesn't go right.

I have a Ford 8N, so I'm not sure how much of it is the same. Mine looks like a mix between Model T and Model A parts.

Comment

IF it won't crank up that way, then remove the spark plugs and let it sit for a while. Take this time to clean them up.

The carb is a super simple one, which makes it baffling when something doesn't go right.

I have a Ford 8N, so I'm not sure how much of it is the same. Mine looks like a mix between Model T and Model A parts.
                        Pretty sure this is an 8N also, just the 50th anniversary of Ford model.

Comment

Pretty sure this is an 8N also, just the 50th anniversary of Ford model.
                          That one looks tiny compared to mine, but it could just be the pic. Mine is a '47 or '48 model. I can't recall. I would need to look up the serial number again.

We use ours pretty regularly.

Comment

check the air filter make sure its cleana dirty filter will act like the choke

Comment

Dangit, I should've taken a pic. It's in really good shape.

Looks just like this one:
                              Oh wow, I had a very close friend die on one of those about 4 years ago. Still don't know what happend, all I know is he was found on the ground next to it and everything around him was burnt to the ground.
                              Wanna see my care face???

Comment

Working...
                              X