DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > Technology Rules

Technology Rules iPhone suxx, Q/A for all computer, networking, phone, and gaming issues

Old 02-03-2020, 10:51 PM   #1
Fourx4Brad
Time Served

Default ISP options when moving to the country?

We are thinking of moving to East Texas to be near her elderly relatives. This past weekend we found a great house in Omaha, Texas but the realtor said the only ISP option was satellite internet. Since we both work from home we need more reliability and speed.

Anyone here use a 4G or LTE sim card modem for their home? Or know of other options?
Fourx4Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:53 PM   #2
Tx Redneck
Wannabe puter fixor
VIP Member

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Send a message via Skype™ to Tx Redneck

If Tmobile works there, see if they offer their new Home service. https://www.t-mobile.com/isp
Tx Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:29 AM   #3
BP
infidel

Eventually SpaceX will have their starlink service operational, until then check your address for coverage with the different cell carriers. There are companies that offer unlimited tethering for all of the major carriers.

It looks like both AT&T and Verizon have 4G there. Search for things like RV unlimited hotspot tethering and you'll find several different options. The big carriers don't offer unlimited 4 or 5G tethering plans but the resellers do.
BP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:01 AM   #4
ceyko
Lifer

*most* rural/country areas have line of site type services that tend to blow satellite out of the water. Check into that - sometimes this requires a mast to be put up though if LOS is not available/trees in the way...etc.
ceyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:31 AM   #5
JV106
Time Served

I have satellite, itís all I can get and it blows. Most of the time I regret even paying for it. Sounds like you already know that.
JV106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:21 AM   #6
Gasser64
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV106 View Post
I have satellite, itís all I can get and it blows. Most of the time I regret even paying for it. Sounds like you already know that.
I'm not sure what the deal is but there seems to be good ones and bad ones. My friend has it and he lives in the sticks, and he's got nothing but good things to say about it. Back when I had it, the rain always fucked it up. He says his isn't bothered by the weather. Maybe he's just got newer better equipment or something.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:55 AM   #7
ceyko
Lifer

Was not up to speed on the Starlink service BP referenced, but for my Dad - the line of site service just would not work out. A 30-40' mast would be an eye sore and his current internet via sat is just horrendous.

That Starlink service is supposed to be available in the next 3-6 months and could possibly be game changing for those in rural/country areas.
ceyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:32 AM   #8
Fourx4Brad
Time Served

This weekend we are driving out there to walk of the property. I plan to check my cellphone for signal strength and then visit a few neighbors and ask the local store clerk for suggestions.

Considerations
1. Mobile hotspot by sim card - 1st choice so far. I'm researching sim card modems and antennas.

2. Fixed wireless by line of site - I've not found an ISP yet. The pine trees are real tall on this property so I'm sure i'd need an antenna tower (more $$).

3. Starlink - News to me and I will be watching it closely to see when its released.

4. Satellite - Leaving this one as a last option. As I have only heard bad opinions of Satellite ISP services.

We would go from Fios 150/150 to ? so I imagine some adjustments. Might have to block her Facebook access

Thanks for all suggestions.
Fourx4Brad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nay in for cock, run cable from neighbors, tmobile sucks cock