Anyone know about Traxxas RC cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know about Traxxas RC cars?

Got these in at my thrift store and I know nothing about them. Value, how to charge, how to turn them on, etc. I already PMed 4bangen, but I figure I will ask the whole board. This is so not in my wheelhouse.

You take the battery out and charge it. Traxxas includes a fairly cheap nicad battery with most of their models, they have a plug in wall adapter with a molex type plug. There are loads of cheap multi chemistry chargers on Amazon in the $20 range though if you didn't get one with them.

As for turning them on there should be a power button on the speed controller. Some you have to hold it down for a few seconds, others are instant.

Comment

The smaller one is a Slash and they have several versions. If it's one of the brushless ones they list for almost $400, it's worth a lot more than the other.

Comment

I have a Traxxas 4-Tec that’s currently buried somewhere in storage. There isn’t an on switch just plug the battery together. Because of this make sure the controller is on first so you don’t have a runaway car. Mine is about 25 years old haven’t turned in on in about 20. Also make sure you get that thing, not sure what they call it but you plug it in after your car is almost dead and it drains the rest of the battery before you recharge it. It’s like a ceramic block with a plug.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
          You take the battery out and charge it. Traxxas includes a fairly cheap nicad battery with most of their models, they have a plug in wall adapter with a molex type plug. There are loads of cheap multi chemistry chargers on Amazon in the $20 range though if you didn't get one with them.

As for turning them on there should be a power button on the speed controller. Some you have to hold it down for a few seconds, others are instant.
          Ok, odds are that the batteries are shot. The remotes power on fine, so the main battery is either totally dead, or bad.

Originally posted by BP View Post
          The smaller one is a Slash and they have several versions. If it's one of the brushless ones they list for almost $400, it's worth a lot more than the other.
          That helps.

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
          I have a Traxxas 4-Tec that’s currently buried somewhere in storage. There isn’t an on switch just plug the battery together. Because of this make sure the controller is on first so you don’t have a runaway car. Mine is about 25 years old haven’t turned in on in about 20. Also make sure you get that thing, not sure what they call it but you plug it in after your car is almost dead and it drains the rest of the battery before you recharge it. It’s like a ceramic block with a plug.
          I figured you just plugged them in, but I am more used to the RC drones with actual switches on the unit.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
            I figured you just plugged them in, but I am more used to the RC drones with actual switches on the unit.
            I've got a 5 year old Slash, and it does have a switch, but I do recall back in the day getting a tire burn when I plugged whatever I had at the time in without the controller being on.

Comment

The monster truck one is a very old Stampede and the other SCT (Short Course Truck) is a Slash. Take the body off of the Slash and take another picture for more details. The Stampede battery is probably a Nicd or possibly a NiMH. Either way they are likely shot unless you have a decent charger that could maybe get them back to life some.

Comment

jw33 has nailed the car identification. The batteries do look old and they're certainly not the newer ID connector. Vintage bodies can have some value. Some random helpful tips and corrections:

Modern Traxxas cars have on/off switches...usually on the ESC

NEVER fully drain a LiPo. Plugging in a resistor to drop it to 0% is a bad idea. NiMh has no memory effect so theres no real need to pull it to 0% either. If those are NiCad...dump em.

The motor you show is brushed and looks similar to a titan or stinger. If its 20 turn...its a stinger and 12 turn is a titan.

The ESCs will limit your battery and chemistry selection.

Comment

Given that the slash has a TQ and not a TQi controller...I would guess its brushed but could be upgrades.

Comment

I'm guessing that Stampede is really old because it has a mechanical speed control and that tamiya style battery connector. I bet the battery is a Nicd too and if it is, don't bother trying to bring it back to life. Nicd is shit anyway even if it was brand new. You can get a new Nimh battery pretty cheap that will have plenty of punch.

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
                      I'm guessing that Stampede is really old because it has a mechanical speed control and that tamiya style battery connector. I bet the battery is a Nicd too and if it is, don't bother trying to bring it back to life. Nicd is shit anyway even if it was brand new. You can get a new Nimh battery pretty cheap that will have plenty of punch.
                      I've never run a car with an MSC...that explains why I've never had the runaway issues lol.

Comment

Fun cars to use and abuse. Not much a “race car” brand. The only thing of value are some of their original body shells in mint condition and the original Trx1 and trx3 2wd race buggies. Those being really good money in mint condition.

Comment

badass thrift store!

Comment

Originally posted by 1carcrazyguy View Post
                            Fun cars to use and abuse. Not much a “race car” brand. The only thing of value are some of their original body shells in mint condition and the original Trx1 and trx3 2wd race buggies. Those being really good money in mint condition.
                            The old trx1 brings back some memories. Lol. What a pile of shit. Traxxas is a fun backyard bashing toy. Nothing more.

Comment

Man, I had that same stampede in the early 2000s. I loved that thing
                              DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Working...
                              X