Yearly post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
    Imagine the insecurity that would motivate posting such a thread. I pity you sir.

re: self awareness-

LEVEL 3 – WHAT THE HELL ARE YOUR BLIND SPOTS?

The more you become aware of your own emotions and your own desires, the more you discover something terrifying: you are full of shit.

We realize that a large percentage of our thoughts, arguments, and actions are merely reflections of whatever we are feeling in that moment. If I am watching a movie with my wife and I’m cranky because I had an argument with my editor that afternoon, I’ll decide that I hate the movie. And the more my wife tries to convince me the movie was good, the more I’ll relish the fact that I get to argue with her about it – because it suddenly becomes a way to justify my anger.

(By the way, if you ever wondered why we tend to fight the most with the ones we love the most, this is partly why: we can use them as an emotional punching bag to validate all the crap that we are feeling, whether they deserve it or not – usually not.)

We all think of ourselves as independent thinkers who reason based on facts and evidence, but the truth is that our brain spends most of its time justifying and explaining what the heart has already declared and decided. And there’s no way to fix that until you’ve learned to recognize what the heart is saying.

I’ve written quite a bit about how flawed our conscious minds are, both in my book and on this site. But to give a quick synopsis:
    1. Our memories are unreliable and often flat-out wrong, especially when it comes to remembering how we felt at a certain time or place. Our ability to predict our thoughts and feelings in the future is even worse.
    2. We constantly overestimate ourselves. In fact, as a general rule, the worse we are at something, the better we think we are, and the better we are at something, the worse we believe we are.
    3. Contradictory evidence can often make us surer of our position rather than inspire us to question it.
    4. Our attention naturally only focuses on things that already cohere to our pre-existing beliefs. This is why two people can watch the exact same event and come away with two completely contradictory memories of it (think of two opposing sports fans both convinced they saw the ball land in or out of bounds.)
    5. Most of us, when given the opportunity, will tell small lies to improve our results. Sometimes (i.e., usually), we’ll even tell these lies to ourselves.
    6. We are abysmal at estimating statistics, making cost-benefit decisions, or reasoning about large populations of people. It’s actually both depressing and hilarious how bad we are this.

I could keep going, but I’ll stop there. Basically, the point is that you suck, I suck, everybody sucks. Humans kind of suck. All the time.

And that’s OK. The important thing is just that we’re self-aware about it. If we know our weaknesses then they stop being weaknesses. Otherwise, we become enslaved to our mind’s faulty mechanisms.

Comment

This is just sad. Do you have this marked on your calendar so you know when to make these pathetic posts? Guess I won’t find out until next year. Seek help.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
        Out of curiosity, why do yall validate this troll by responding to him?
        You know, I've often asked that same question. ROFL!! Some people just can't resist. You'll notice they're also the ones that would consistently respond to naynag. that he was, always nagging people. I hate

wtf you can't even say

WH

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
          Mental midget
          You’re being too generous.
          Originally posted by Broncojohnny
          Would you like your reparations in 5.56mm or 7.62mm?

Comment

who is paladin?

god bless.
            It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

some guy that has a plethora of evidence on the clintons.

Comment

Its SvO alter ego

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
                  who is paladin?

god bless.
                  Old board, he used to be Fort Worth PD. Eric used to call him Lieutenant Don.
                  Originally posted by BradM
                  But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Wow, and admin on Mustang FB groups?!? Can I get your autograph?

lmao!.. What a fucking loser..

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post

Originally posted by MR EDD
                      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Do you care to share your real thoughts on the matter?

Comment

Are you an admin on a FB group??
                          G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
                            Only in my dreams! I mean, imagine all the 'Likes' I could get!!

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
                              I know people that are admins on FB groups.

Comment

Only in my dreams! I mean, imagine all the 'Likes' I could get!!
                                Originally posted by BradM View Post
                                I know people that are admins on FB groups.
                                I used to be a mod on LS1.com...can I join yalls group of cool kids?
                                G'Day Mate

Comment

Working...
                                X