Need Mechanic for Head Gasket for 99 Lightning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by svtlght99 View Post
    I was told to take it to gearheads but they're booked for awhile.
    I'll be first to say find another place whether they are booked or not. Not only no,but hell no.

You can pull the heads without pulling motor or cab. Just have to hold a head bolt up with rubber band or rag. The block is likely fine, bit def need to be checked with the heads. Good time to freshen up all the usual or upgrade now.
    Last edited by orphan Shelby; 11-09-2018, 05:14 PM.

Comment

That's why I'm asking for a mechanic. I wouldn't know how to do that.

Comment

who the fuck thought of pulling the cab? likes that is easy way to do it!!! hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by black50 View Post
          either the cab has to come off or the engine has to be removed to pull the heads....

sounds like it's time to go built with a whipple on top
          Then I must be a fucking awesome mechanic (I am by the way), because I removed the heads on my dads 01 King Ranch without removing the engine or the cab. Unless there is something vastly different about the lightning, it can be done.

Comment

If I had to pull a 160k engine get block milled head fixed all that bs I’d just get new motor. Find a reputable reman shop send in core get new motor have a shop do the swap out. Get references from shops so many people do shit work nowadays. Sux about the motor but 160 ain’t bad from a ford. This is just an idea but a 5.3 Chevy motor with a pro charger and blower cam is a lotta fun. You can get them all day long salvaged

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Crawfish View Post
              If I had to pull a 160k engine get block milled head fixed all that bs I’d just get new motor. Find a reputable reman shop send in core get new motor have a shop do the swap out. Get references from shops so many people do shit work nowadays. Sux about the motor but 160 ain’t bad from a ford. This is just an idea but a 5.3 Chevy motor with a pro charger and blower cam is a lotta fun. You can get them all day long salvaged
              Oh yeah, tons of salvage 5.3s with complete harness, trans adapter plate, a Procharger, and cam/lifters/push rods/rockets sitting around in the junkyards for sub-$1,500 (approximate shop cost for headgaskets on Lightning).
              Originally posted by PGreenCobra
              I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
              Originally posted by Trip McNeely
              Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
              dont downshift!!
              Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

ok maybe a tad bit on the expensive side.... that's what I want to do to my pos. 1500 aint bad for a messed up block and cylinder head. Its pretty messed up that you have to go and modify cooling systems because the factory failed to get it done.

Comment

Originally posted by svtlght99 View Post
                  I know it's been awhile from when I posted this thread but I've saved up some funds to hopefully get the 99L fixed. I live in the Grand prairie area off ih20. Anyone know a respectable mechanic that i can take it to? I know it's a job but someone that is reasonable and would tell me what makes sense, as far as, the idea route to go. It's a 99L stock with about 160k miles. Head gasket and does have water in oil. Thanks
                  Check with Apple's Auto. They're in Euless at 183 & 360.

Specialties: At Apple's Automotive we specialize in repairing all types of automotive problems. From the simplest to the most complicated. If you need a complete motor overhaul or replacing light bulbs in your dash. We work on all types of vehicles, foreign an domestic. Any personal or commercial vehicle.

Comment

Working...
                  X