Looking for a good home defense revolver for 70y/o mother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a good home defense revolver for 70y/o mother

My mother has expressed interest in a home defense weapon but at her age I don't think any type of semi-auto will work for her as I doubt she can pull back the slide. I shot my Taurus 605 (2" 357 polymer) a few days ago to test the recoil with 38 special but I think it is too much for her hands to handle. Looking for suggestions on a medium sized 38 that will absorb the recoil of standard 38 loads. Anyone looking to sell or trade..I have a Kahr CW-40 with 3 mags I would consider. Years ago I had an old Taurus 38 special that was basically a copy of the old S/W 38 police special and I shot it and could barely even feel any recoil.

I own one of those Taurus snub nose 38 specials. It was my wife's gun before she died. It is a sweet shooter, and has little recoil. I think a good choice for your mom.

Comment

S&W model 19 with some smaller grips. Hogue maybe.

Comment

Tough one. When my dad got older, he could no longer rack the slide on the 1911 I had bought him for his birthday a few years earlier. So I picked up a ported Taurus 85 in .38 Special that he had no problems with. Trigger is a little hard to pull but a lot easier than racking the slide on a semi auto pistol. Definitely stay away from the light pistols like the LCR, Air Weight, and polymer Taurus. Maybe find something with a 3" or so barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
          Tough one. When my dad got older, he could no longer rack the slide on the 1911 I had bought him for his birthday a few years earlier. So I picked up a ported Taurus 85 in .38 Special that he had no problems with. Trigger is a little hard to pull but a lot easier than racking the slide on a semi auto pistol. Definitely stay away from the light pistols like the LCR, Air Weight, and polymer Taurus. Maybe find something with a 3" or so barrel.
          Yeah I shot someones airweight with 38+p in it at the range meet we did a few years ago and it damn near blew my hand off.......I'm definitely looking for something with a little more mass.

Comment

What about a good ole break open double barrel 12 ga?

(with low recoil rounds)
            WRX

Comment

Oh.. looks like they make 380 revolvers too - https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/prod...25327610236.do
              WRX

Comment

Originally posted by mustang_revival View Post
                What about a good ole break open double barrel 12 ga?

(with low recoil rounds)
                She was quite specific about a handgun that can go in the nightstand drawer.

Comment

Beretta tomcat in 32 acp has a tip open barrel so you dont have rack the slide . Comfortably to shoot and fits in front pocket easily to carry.

Comment

These look cool for non lethal option , 7 shots $32.54

WRX

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                      She was quite specific about a handgun that can go in the nightstand drawer.
                      My mom was having the ole semi auto issues mentioned above so I got her a 38 Special. She has a Taurus 9mm someone gave her but even if I remind her she can't remember the simple stuff or work the slide well.

What she does love, I got her a pistol grip 410, pump. We shot it a few days ago and she really liked the recoil. Will almost fit in a drawer.
                      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
                        🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                          My mom was having the ole semi auto issues mentioned above so I got her a 38 Special. She has a Taurus 9mm someone gave her but even if I remind her she can't remember the simple stuff or work the slide well.

What she does love, I got her a pistol grip 410, pump. We shot it a few days ago and she really liked the recoil. Will almost fit in a drawer.
                          And Winchester makes a PDX load specifically for the .410. The .410 my dad had was pretty light and low recoiling. The only thing was the slide was a little hard to work but it was a Montgomery Ward/Western brand .410, I'm sure there are better ones out there.

Comment

I don't know who made it, but a neighbor of my Aunts had a 9mm revolver and since they live in Alabama I got to shoot from their back porch into a dirt berm. Great little gun, trigger pull was fine and had little recoil per the 9mm.

Comment

Working...
                            X