Cutting/shaving the cord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting/shaving the cord

In short, what are your solutions to watching/recording television without paying the juice for the pleasure of using your service providers hardware?

We have in my neighborhood what I would consider very decent internet speed with Suddenlink (cable). AT&T/Dish is the only other option for TV programming and I'm not super excited to have a satellite service provider. We have three TV's in the house. TV #1 gets 85% of the workload, #2 gets 14%, and the last one rarely gets turned on. One requirement is DVR capability for TV #1 and it would be great if #2 could also watch recorded content.

The other requirement is ease of use. It needs to be functional for kids/wife who aren't l33t hackers. I want it to just turn on and work and with one remote, not a keyboard or 2-minute boot-up every time the TV is turned on.

Tivo is what Suddenlink uses however I'm not thrilled about kicking up what looks to be around $25-30 per month. I know there have got to be other options in 2018..... Our TV's are newer models that have wired LAN connections available. We use Amazon Prime apps on the TV's occasionally and that works fine. Really just looking to find a DVR solution for what Suddenlink provides through their coax connection.

This isn't going to be a viable answer for most people I know...but if there is something I really don't want to miss that's being broadcast on over the air HDTV....I program the HDTV tuner I have in my desktop computer to record it and then can either watch it on my computer OR I can burn it to a Blu-ray disc and watch it on living room TV using my Blu-ray player...then wipe the disc when I'm done. I haven't had subscription TV service in several years and honestly don't miss the 250 channels I don't watch, the game blackouts, the constant bickering and blocking of channels due to contract disputes between ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS and DISH, DIRECTTV, Comcast, Charter...etc. If I can't watch it over the air for free then I don't need it.

Comment

If your family can use Amazon for TV they should be able to figure out how to use something like PSVue. Turn on the device, click on their icon and then change channels within the app. You can stream 5 different feeds for the same price. Their DVR is all cloud based and it works great.

DirectTV Now, Hulu and Youtube offer something similar but I've only used the PS version and loved it. Unfortunately I have a couple of household members that can't manage to use an app for TV for some reason so I'm back to using Spectrum. Whose DVR absolutely sucks and their hardware is even worse btw.

Comment

Netflix.

Downloading online. Ahem. Cough. Use a VPN.

Hulu and all the rest. (Don't know if they're worth a poop though. Last I checked their interfaces were kind of shitty and so was the responses of the interfaces. That was like 2 years ago.)

Amazon prime TV

I will admit that there are some shows, and a few stations that I miss from Dish Network. But at $130-$250 per month, they done priced themselves out of the market. I'd pay 'em $60 per month for the full package, all channels. More than that, they can get bent. Or if they'd get with the times and allow you to pick ONLY the channels you're willing to pay for, and cut off any that you aren't. Idiots think I need 20 spanish channels.
        WH

Comment

I want a service that offers Fox News, Fox Southwest and HBO. Is that too much to ask for? Maybe FXX when It's always sunny comes back.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
            I want a service that offers Fox News, Fox Southwest and HBO. Is that too much to ask for? Maybe FXX when It's always sunny comes back.
            Mobdro and livenettv oughta do that for ya👍🏻
            "PSH!!!"

Comment

Working...
            X