FiTech feature concerns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FiTech feature concerns

I've been contemplating converting my F100 to EFI from the day I brought her home, and now I'm at the point where I want to pull the trigger. I find myself stuck between two kits. Kits in question are the Go EFI 4 600hp #30002 and the Meanstreet EFI 800hp #30008. The Meanstreet kit offers a few more features that I'm interested in, like a fan control and an a/c input, of which the Go EFI 4 kit does not. At least to the best of my knowledge. What the EFI 4 kit does offer is timing control but lacks a couple of the features the other one offers.

My question are these. How important or beneficial is it to have the unit control timing? Will the system perform better?

Any help thinking this thru will be highly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    --carlos

sigpic

I believe the kit we have in our 66 mustang is the 600hp kit and it does have fan input wiring. My dad and I bought it last year when they first took off, so the builds were rushed. We did have to send the system back for ecu failure. Since then it's been reliable. I will say you need to make damn sure your existing wiring is in good shape. If not, get ready to deal will small gremlins in the system. You may also look at the holleybsystem that runs in the same price range.

Comment

What is it about the Holley that you like?

--carlos

sigpic

Comment

If it were me I’d want timing control. I assume you want this for street ability. Which IMO you’ll want it to control spark.

If all you were doing is drag racing then you could tune a carb for good fuel trims at WOT and lock out the distributor.

Comment

I would want to control timing unless you can just lock the thing out at full advance without problems.

But honestly, Holley all the way. Biggest reason to me is that in five years you will have a vendor who will be there if you need repairs. I learned this a long time ago with the FAST classic system. It worked great but they no longer support that setup so it is god damn paper weight if you have problems. I'll never buy anything from FAST again. They can suck me.
          Originally posted by racrguy
          What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
          Originally posted by racrguy
          Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by JV106 View Post
            If it were me I’d want timing control. I assume you want this for street ability. Which IMO you’ll want it to control spark.

If all you were doing is drag racing then you could tune a carb for good fuel trims at WOT and lock out the distributor.
            Yes, I'm looking for street-ability, driveability, and dependability.

--carlos

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
              I would want to control timing unless you can just lock the thing out at full advance without problems.

But honestly, Holley all the way. Biggest reason to me is that in five years you will have a vendor who will be there if you need repairs. I learned this a long time ago with the FAST classic system. It worked great but they no longer support that setup so it is god damn paper weight if you have problems. I'll never buy anything from FAST again. They can suck me.
              So Holley for the support base? I'll have to look into it a little more then.

--carlos

sigpic

Comment

Timing plays a greater role in making power then air fuel ratio does. Having total control over every aspect of ignition timing is critical.
                Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 12-12-2017, 08:44 AM.
                Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I'm just really worried about what my options would be concerning a/c connectivity with a kit that has no a/c input.

--carlos

sigpic

Comment

You’ll just lose the wot ac cutoff. No big deal. You’ll need the ac to connect to an electric fan controller (if you’re running one) but otherwise no big deal.

Comment

If the system does idle control you do not really need an a/c output in the ECU. If you want WOT a/c cutoff you can simply add a switch to the throttle linkage that will kill power to the a/c clutch relay at WOT.

I personally like to control the fan and a/c outside of the ECU and to save the ECUs outputs for more important functions.
                      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Most v-8s have enough torque to not be affected by a\c cutting on and off at idle. There will me a dip in idle speed but it should recover easily, unless you are running some old school compressors like an A6 or York/Tecumseh style that pulls a crap ton of load.

351 in my buddies 93 Lightning hardly flinches when the FS10 compressor engages at idle. He's running Fast XFI that I installed.

Comment

I've been looking at these systems too considering an engine swap into a Miata or 944. It seems a lot simpler than using any oem efi solution. Using a carb manifold will also help with hood clearance. I've looked at and studied fast fitech, but honestly I'd go with the new Holley setup too. The Holley systems are priced right, it's a reputable company and they didn't rush their system on the market.

Comment

Working...
                          X