New 94 Mustang AC/Heat control panel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 94 Mustang AC/Heat control panel?

1994 Mustang GT. It seems my temperature control panel has died. Those old 3 knob ac heat and fan controls. Does anyone here know if new units are being made... by some company somewhere?

I could just buy an used one off ebay of course, but who knows how long it will last. Then I'd be paying $100+ for one that could be just as old as the one I've got. And thus, just living on borrowed time before it too finally dies. Then I'd have wasted money and still have the same problem to deal with. And to top it all off, the used ones all seem to have the faded out red line for the heat indicator. Just like mine. I'd really like to get one that was still red. Trying to keep the car in as good of shape as I can.

So I want to get my hands on some kind of new unit. This is probably a long shot, but I wouldn't even care if it came off of a different vehicle as long as it was black and it would fit and work. Or if that just isn't possible right now, what about fixing the one I've got? Anybody done that? tia
    WH

Have you tried a dealership or 5.0 Resto, or an internet search?

Comment

Originally posted by cool cat View Post
      Have you tried a dealership

But I forgot about 5.0 resto. Tried the others but I'll go check 5.0resto right now.

EDIT: Doesn't look like they have em. Unfortunately
      Last edited by Gasser64; 12-22-2017, 09:59 PM.
      WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post

But I forgot about 5.0 resto. Tried the others but I'll go check 5.0resto right now.

EDIT: Doesn't look like they have em. Unfortunately
        I’m serious about the dealership. You may guy have to find one outside of a big city, and that has been in business since the mid 90’s.

Comment

nearly all the cars and trucks in the 90's used the same one. I bet a dealer can source a new old stock on laying on a shelf somewhere. Hell I bet you can find one on ebay new in the box. Ford trucks, vans, mustangs, etc. all the same control. I know because I have a few used ones that I bought to take apart and play with when I was thinking of moving the controls into the cubby of the armrest and put gauges in place of the controller.
          Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

They never changed the connections on the back?

If not, thats going to make this a hell of a lot easier.
            WH

Comment

Well what part has died? I know one of the controls is gear driven to a cable. I'd just get one out of the junk yard or ebay, theyre too cheap not to try.
              Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Not real sure yet, but probably more than one part of it has died. The fan only works on setting 1 or 4, and the vents will only go to floor, or defrost.
                WH

Comment

The vent issue is more likely due to broken, cracked or otherwise disconnected vacuum lines. I know I had that problem with my old 5.0 Bronco.

The fan may also just be the motor going out.

The controls are probably the most reliable piece of the pie.

Comment

But when I tear into it to fix the other stuff, I'll have an excuse to replace a fairly inexpensive part that gets on my nerves. lol

There is some small possibility that it could be controls related, and that faded red part for the heat indicator mocks me. Figure if I've got to go in there, good time to replace!
                    WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                      But when I tear into it to fix the other stuff, I'll have an excuse to replace a fairly inexpensive part that gets on my nerves. lol

There is some small possibility that it could be controls related, and that faded red part for the heat indicator mocks me. Figure if I've got to go in there, good time to replace!
                      I think they sell stickers that go over the panel, and new knobs, so you can still make it look new!

Totally serious on the vacuum line thing though, I had one line under the hood that was literally just disconnected. All I ended up needing to do was push the damn line back in and it was fixed. I was irritated because I had put it off for weeks.

Edit.. BTW, if you check out youtube I bet there are a bunch of videos with common failure points to look for. I swear by youtube these days and always watch a few videos before working on my stuff. Pretty much everything I have ever needed (in the last 5 years anyhow) I have found there and it has saved me an assload of money and time.

Comment

The 94/95 have a vacuum line that runs from the booster area, along the firewall and into the cabin around the heater core connections, its VERY common for that hose to crack and cause your vent issue. But yea, the faded colors would be annoying, and you can upgrade to LED's for cheap. If you do white LED's it'll actually have a light blue glow FYI. I used blue once and they looked purple.
                        Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
                          The 94/95 have a vacuum line that runs from the booster area, along the firewall and into the cabin around the heater core connections, its VERY common for that hose to crack and cause your vent issue. But yea, the faded colors would be annoying, and you can upgrade to LED's for cheap. If you do white LED's it'll actually have a light blue glow FYI. I used blue once and they looked purple.
                          I love the idea of upgrading dash lights, and did put in better bulbs when I rebuilt my Suburbans' gauge cluster, but be aware that once you replace a couple, you are going to want to replace them all so that they match. lol

That was another youtube win, BTW.. Bought all new new stepper motors, lights (several of each were out), a cheap soldering iron, and watched a couple youtube videos.. Easy peasy

Comment

I do intend to replace them all with LEDs at some point. Gotta look a lot better. I'll want green ones though, as the stock colors are supposed to be green.

Then I need to find some new needles. Using finger nail polish or spray paint to fix the faded needles, doesn't seem quite right to me. Its supposed to be translucent dangit! I'm probably too much of a stickler for shit looking either factory, or at least professional as hell. Makes some of the goals for fixing up the car kind of difficult to achieve, but when it happens its all worth it imho
                            WH

Comment

Working...
                            X