Cold weather gloves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hell-Bent SS View Post
    I wear latex gloves along with golf gloves when I fish out in the cold.. latex seems to keep the heat in.
    I used to do this when I rode bikes in the winter. It helped keep out the wind and like you said, kept in the heat.

Comment

Originally posted by KBScobravert View Post
      I have a pair of very thin but warm Under Armours and a pair of thicker Mechanics Wear gloves. I actually have several pairs of the mechanics gloves scattered in different range bags/cases/etc. No matter the temp, it is good to have a pair to keep the heat of the gas tube/barrel and suppressor at bay.
      I didn't realize that Mechanix made cold weather gloves; I actually never realized how many different kinds of gloves they made. Doing some things outside today and yesterday and it was particularly bitter cold and figured I better go ahead and order some winter gloves so I picked these up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
        I didn't realize that Mechanix made cold weather gloves; I actually never realized how many different kinds of gloves they made. Doing some things outside today and yesterday and it was particularly bitter cold and figured I better go ahead and order some winter gloves so I picked these up.

https://www.amazon.com/Mechanix-Wear...echanix+gloves
        Quick review. Got these in yesterday and fairly thick gloves and very warm. Walking the dog last night in 20 something degree weather and my hands felt fine. Finger dexterity on the other hand is noticeably affected. Although I could disengage the ALS on my Safariland Holster for my Glock no problem, it might be difficult to get a good (accurate) trigger pull. Might be something to practice on next time I'm at the range.

Regular Mechanix gloves on the other I have no problems with and I'll put those in my bag for this weekends class.

Comment

I’ve got a great pair of Husky gloves I found at Home Depot in the work glove section. They’re not all that thick or warm but all around great for work in the cold.

Comment

Originally posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
            I’ve got a great pair of Husky gloves I found at Home Depot in the work glove section. They’re not all that thick or warm but all around great for work in the cold.
            I'm guessing leather and no insulation?

Comment

Running Gloves

Related though not exactly what you may be looking for. I only mention these because I am so happy with them and thought others might like them.

I have rarely been one to wear gloves in cold weather, primarily because of the loss of dexterity and I usually end up having to pull them off a hundred times to do stuff. The exception is when doing rough work with my hands, purely for protection, or just sitting around a camp fire. Hell, I use them so rarely, I still use 2 pairs of the nice leather work glove shells and wool liners (thick and thin) from my Army days. I've had them over 25 years now and one pair is almost like new!

I received a pair of Craft running gloves in a subscription box about 2 years ago and just started wearing them last year (2017) and have fallen in love with them. I have mostly been wearing them camping, especially for sleeping in the hammock when it's under about 45*.

They're mostly polyester, so are great for moisture wicking. With this cold weather over the last couple of weeks I have been wearing them a lot around here. They work very well in keeping the wind off your skin, and knocking the edge off of the cold, but still retain dexterity. The grip due to the silicone is great too.. Super grippy. The last couple days in particular, I have been using them for driving in the mornings and the are a nice buffer from the freezing steering wheel.

One major caveat.. These are not durable or work gloves, just to keep in mind. They are pretty thin (mostly polyester) and not padded. They are much more akin to slightly thick glove liners.

These appear to be the current model, though mine are slightly different (just in the logo and mine have a thin reflective strip running down the side of the palm). Mine also work with a smartphone, though this product description doesn't mention that.. https://shop.craftsports.us/1902955-...rip-glove.html

Comment

I might have to order a pair to check out. I'm like you, I rarely wear gloves but when I need some I want some good ones. And it takes me a long time to go through a pair so paying a little more for some good ones is worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                  I might have to order a pair to check out. I'm like you, I rarely wear gloves but when I need some I want some good ones. And it takes me a long time to go through a pair so paying a little more for some good ones is worth it.
                  I think the biggest thing is that they are comfortable and thin enough that I actually don't mind wearing them and am not in a hurry to take them off as soon as possible, as I usually am with thicker gloves.

These are just enough to take edge off without being too much. They kind of remind me of nomex flight gloves a lot of guys used when I was in the Cavalry.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                    I think the biggest thing is that they are comfortable and thin enough that I actually don't mind wearing them and am not in a hurry to take them off as soon as possible, as I usually am with thicker gloves.

These are just enough to take edge off without being too much. They kind of remind me of nomex flight gloves a lot of guys used when I was in the Cavalry.
                    Exactly! The newer Mechanix cold weather gloves are warm and windproof but have little dexterity for working with much. If they provide some wind protection that will work for me in most cases. And it was mentioned previously, throwing on some latex gloves also helps with the wind.

Comment

Working...
                    X