First paintjob,spraying flat black and need info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First paintjob,spraying flat black and need info

Ok im wanting to spray my 89 coupe flat/matte black and need all the input ya'll can give me.The bodyworks 97% finished,all thats let is were the hood flew up and dented in the cowl peice. But besides that the cars already been primed and just needs wet sanded.Ive got the use of a big compresser and filters are covered. So im wanting to know best way to spay it so it doesnt look like black primer but not that much shine.
    Ace Duce

I can't play in the deep end of the sandbox, that's where the leprechaun is and he tells me to burn things!
    sigpic

please don't
    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Plastidip it, that way you can take it off when you get tired of it
      --Marcus

Comment

I like the flat colors and its a toss up between grey or black. Im leaning towards black since i have the red and black int.
        Ace Duce

I can't play in the deep end of the sandbox, that's where the leprechaun is and he tells me to burn things!
        sigpic

Comment

kinda like this
          Last edited by geartaker; 09-03-2012, 05:11 PM.
          Ace Duce

sigpic

Comment

If its all ready to go, paint it the way it should be. Not too many people on here like that look. Just sayin. Do what you like. Its your car afterall.

Comment

And everyone has there own opinon and i respect that,but im askin how to and not what do you think.Not trying to be a$$hole,just saying
              Ace Duce

sigpic

Comment

You'll have to base the car black, then clear it with clear, but you put a flattening agent in the clear to make it flat looking. I have found that if you try to polish a spot though, it will buff to a high shine.

Comment

There is zero margin for error with a flat/satin finish. Being you first time, it wont come out right, andtgere is no buffing or sanding.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Matte finishes are tough to master. Are you wanting to do a single stage or BC/cc? Single stage is easier and cheaper but it will water spot really bad and the BC/cc can tiger stripe or be different finishes of satin. Figure out what material you want to use then find out how to spray it. If this is your first, be extremely careful. That cobra looks like a pro job.
                    Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

The couple people i know where saying its the easist to do.They said its just like primer, dumd asses. The cobra was just a pic off google to show what i was wanting, cause there are some that look to flat like black primer and i seen some that had to much shine. My buddy that has the compresser works at a body shop as a bodyman and the painter there is letting me use one of his sprayers.Id ask him to show me but we had some issues.
                      Killinsbf:I was thinkin single just for the fact of its going to be my first spray so if it looks like ass im not out much money and im just wanting to do somthing with it cause im tired of the primer look
                      Ace Duce

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by geartaker View Post
                        The couple people i know where saying its the easist to do.They said its just like primer, dumd asses. The cobra was just a pic off google to show what i was wanting, cause there are some that look to flat like black primer and i seen some that had to much shine. My buddy that has the compresser works at a body shop as a bodyman and the painter there is letting me use one of his sprayers.Id ask him to show me but we had some issues.
                        Killinsbf:I was thinkin single just for the fact of its going to be my first spray so if it looks like ass im not out much money and im just wanting to do somthing with it cause im tired of the primer look
                        Hit it with plastidip for the practice.
                        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Very hard to make look right. You have to use the same distance from panel, speed, air pressure and mix(when using a flattner) EVERY pass. If you try to slick out the top panels they will have more shine than the sides. More material means more shine. I would go to English Color (or any good paint store) and buy a factory pac "hot rod black". Several companys are selling them now. Doing that will take one of the variables out and then you just have to spray it correctly.

Comment

and it will still look like a primered mustang...

you put a nice satin black job on a $250k car? it looks like a $250k car...

you put the nicest possible flat job on a mustang? it looks like a primered POS IMO
                            http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by geartaker View Post
                              And everyone has there own opinon and i respect that,but im askin how to and not what do you think.Not trying to be a$$hole,just saying
                              Just gonna put that out there in case people still can't comprehend what he is asking.
                              Slow moving projects
                              1964 C10 350/700r4
                              1992 LX 5.0

Comment

Working...
                              X