No announcement yet.

School me on DA sanders ; Electric vs pneumatic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe I should go ahead and paint it myself. In this case a better compressor is a must I'm sure.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Buick355 View Post
      Maybe I should go ahead and paint it myself. In this case a better compressor is a must I'm sure.

I shot rustolium through a home depot gun powered by a pancake compressor.
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

My compressor kept up but I had to add a nice drier to it as well as a filter before the gun. The hardest part was setting up a makeshift paint booth in my shop and having proper air movement.

It was a valuable learning experience all around for me, teaching me exactly what's involved in paint/body work and how to fix/maintain anything with a paint job. I'm extremely glad I went through the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
          My compressor kept up but I had to add a nice drier to it as well as a filter before the gun. The hardest part was setting up a makeshift paint booth in my shop and having proper air movement.

It was a valuable learning experience all around for me, teaching me exactly what's involved in paint/body work and how to fix/maintain anything with a paint job. I'm extremely glad I went through the process.
          What size compressor is yours? Did it keep up with the DA sander?

Edit, just read above, 20 gal, but you did all sanding by hand.

Comment

What size compressor is yours? Did it keep up with the DA sander?

Edit, just read above, 20 gal, but you did all sanding by hand.
            Sorry, it's actually a 33 gallon craftsman that I have. But yes I only used an old National-Detroit (and I mean ancient lol) DA sander for stripping and knocking down bondo, but all primer was hand blocked.

Comment

Well, after a few hours with a pressure washer this is where it's at:

The black paint just peeled right off. Now I'm wondering if I should go all the way to the metal, or just feather out what I can and get it all smooth. It has about 3 more layers of different colored paint or primer from what I can tell on the main body. I'm also not sure what to do on the inside. It's been sprayed with some crappy red paint.

Comment

you'll spend the next 2 years trying to get it to metal.. roll with what ya got!

Comment

Where do you live? is that in texas? Looks like my old neighborhood in Michigan with the garage like that.

Comment

Media blast it, then get it coated in epoxy.

Comment

Originally posted by Tremor14 View Post
                      Where do you live? is that in texas? Looks like my old neighborhood in Michigan with the garage like that.
                      In Fort Worth

Originally posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
                      Media blast it, then get it coated in epoxy.
                      Sounds expensive!!

Comment

I was quoted $500 for a mobile blaster to come do my truck cab at my house

Comment

Originally posted by Tremor14 View Post
                          I was quoted $500 for a mobile blaster to come do my truck cab at my house
                          Not bad. Did they clean up?

I could easily transport the body to a blasting shop since I'll be pulling it off the pan anyways. If I could keep blasting under $1000 I could justify it in the time and materials savings, plus it'll have a much better outcome. I just spent a little time reading up on it and this may be the way I go when the time comes.

Comment

from my email, i said
                            I am looking to get a price to have a Chevy truck cab blasted. Cab only, it is stripped, and there is no glass in it. Looking to have it blasted and or epoxy primered if you guys do that.
                            he said
                            To blast the cab is $500 or less. Depends on amount of bondo and how many coats of paint. Let me know if you have any questions thanks Randy 817 808 1061.

Comment

Not bad. Did they clean up?

I could easily transport the body to a blasting shop since I'll be pulling it off the pan anyways. If I could keep blasting under $1000 I could justify it in the time and materials savings, plus it'll have a much better outcome. I just spent a little time reading up on it and this may be the way I go when the time comes.
                              With what you're working with there, blasting is a no-brainier. Your first impression is correct though. I could recommend a place that would do it right, remove all paint/filler/rust and thoroughly coat it in epoxy of your color choice but it would be closer to $1500, depending on time in the blast booth. You could always call and get a quote from them. I know it's about $100/hr blast $200 should paint it.

Do you see any heavy filler? If I was on the cheap I'd just get to sanding, the inside will be fun.

Comment

I see some filler, but I don't think there's a heavy amount. The inside is what makes me want to go the blasting route the most.

Comment

Working...
                                X