Home network help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home network help

I know we have some network gurus here, so hoping I can get some help setting up, or expanding a home network.

Here is the current setup: Have Fios here at the house with wireless modem. One end of the house is a dead spot and want to put another wireless router in for better coverage.

The Fios modem/router only has one spot left for a hard line, so I guess first question is can I use a port extender of something that turns 1 port into like 4? Maybe called a switch?

Will that degrade anything as far as signal?

How would I set up the 2nd wireless router?

Would I still be able to use the hardline ports on the second router without any slow down?

Originally posted by 91GriggsGT View Post
    I know we have some network gurus here, so hoping I can get some help setting up, or expanding a home network.

Here is the current setup: Have Fios here at the house with wireless modem. One end of the house is a dead spot and want to put another wireless router in for better coverage.

The Fios modem/router only has one spot left for a hard line, so I guess first question is can I use a port extender of something that turns 1 port into like 4? Maybe called a switch?

Will that degrade anything as far as signal?

How would I set up the 2nd wireless router?

Would I still be able to use the hardline ports on the second router without any slow down?
    To extend mine I have an old linksys wrt45g loaded with ddwrt and its set as a wireless bridge. Have one behind tv in the game room for htpc and xbox360. Also had in the garage to plug in an old small desktop wired.

The other option is to look at the powerline ethernet adapter kits.
    2013 F150 STX Supercab 5.0L w/3.55 LSD
    1990 GT Convertible

Comment

How are you planning on getting the network connection to the new wireless router? Do you have a hard line running to that side of the house you can hook it up to?

Comment

Hmbre97's question is clutch.

However, assuming you have a cable from one end to the other, you need a switch and an AP. A wireless router can be an AP, but you want to be an AP and disable any "routing" functionality. Also, put it on a different channel than your other AP is on.
        Originally posted by MR EDD
        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I still have one port on the back of the Fios router that I can run a line to the second router.

Jesus, some of this shit sounds french to me guys. Can you put it in idiot terms?

Comment

Best bet, is if there is a word/etc that you don't understand - google. Someone has already broken it down a little more.
            Originally posted by MR EDD
            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I still have one port on the back of the Fios router that I can run a line to the second router.

Jesus, some of this shit sounds french to me guys. Can you put it in idiot terms?

Comment

If you are in/near Mansfield I might be able to help set this up. PM me if you're interested. Might cost you a 6 pack or so.
                Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
                There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren M View Post
                  If you are in/near Mansfield I might be able to help set this up. PM me if you're interested. Might cost you a 6 pack or so.
                  Appreciate that offer, but I am just a tad bit north of Mansfield.....Like Denton.

This looks like it might be the easiest way right here. Thanks

Any downsides to doing the above method? Signal deterioration?

Comment

This looks like it might be the easiest way right here. Thanks

Any downsides to doing the above method? Signal deterioration?
                    That diagram doesn't fit your scenario. This is more of what you need - getting a wireless repeater or using different firmware to turn a wireless router into a repeater.

If you're upgrading to a faster, stronger wireless router , don't chuck your older Wi-Fi box. With the magic of DD-WRT , you can turn your older wir

You would need find a good halfway point between your current wifi router and where your dead spot is. That way the repeater can still get a good signal, then output a signal that would cover your current dead spot.

What I would suggest if you can is running a line off your current router to the other side of the house. Then hook up an access point to that hard line.

Comment

Or make It really simple.

Use that last port tor another wireless router, run the line to where you want it and let it have its own network.

Mine is like that and you aren't going to lose any speed as long as your second wireless router is up to snuff. Yes they will be two separate signals but it doesn't matter as ling as you aren't planning on file sharing from a laptop in the "dead spot" of your house.

Comment

Looks like I have a couple options here. Might have to pick up another router and do some testing to see what works the best.

When I install the DDWRT on the router, can I uninstall it or work around it if I decide another way to go?

Comment

Looks like I have a couple options here. Might have to pick up another router and do some testing to see what works the best.

When I install the DDWRT on the router, can I uninstall it or work around it if I decide another way to go?
                          The DDWRT is just like a software/firmware upgrade, I would think you can generally revert back to factory settings with the factory firmware/software, but I haven't read much on it, so don't quote me. Also, you need to make sure that the router you get is compatible with the DDWRT. There's a website somewhere that lists all the models capable of the transformation and has all the different versions for each specific model and revision.

Sorry if the link I posted didn't fit your scenario, just googled for it and skimmed it.

Comment

Ok. Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated. I will pick up another router and do some testing to see what works the best.

Comment

Working...
                            X