windows 8 blows.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
    And not having a FUCKING POWER OFF BUTTON.
    Do you mean this power button?

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
    Are you using IE?
    I was about to ask the same thing - I normally use chrome and firefox. I have had no problems with either.

And in general I have had no problems with the OS. The only issue I encountered was my wifi dropping the connection. That was caused by having multiple programs trying to control the car. Uninstalled the offending program and it has been resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
      And in general I have had no problems with the OS. The only issue I encountered was my wifi dropping the connection. That was caused by having multiple programs trying to control the car. Uninstalled the offending program and it has been resolved.
      People fear change and will do a lot to defy it instead of integrating themselves with it.

It's quick, it's lightweight, and it's forward looking. Yes, it's different and you'll have to learn some new things and ways of doing things. But tough shit. It's not like you woke up knowing how to work Windows 3.1, you crotchety old motherfuckers.

Comment

No, I don't. Is that the recommended way of making it less retarded?

I figured I would suffer through the shit, because as the 'computer guy' of my family, everyone's gonna expect me to be able to answer their questions. This OS baffles even me.
        Yes, and it's free. Do it.
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

well 3 hours on the phone with dell, and we thing we got it.

Had to manually uninstall all vid drivers and do a few other things and do a re install.

So far so good. This is the first computer ive ever had software problems that i couldnt solve.

Comment

i have yet to try a program "whocrashed" on Win 8 cause my WIn 8 is running ok (i have one quirk). Anyway Whocrashed is good for reading dump files. I used to it to resolve a Server 2008 issue i had on a company Router. Damn Internal NIC had a driver issue with Server 2008.

On a my PC i added shortcuts to get a shutdown and restart button on the metro screen. reduced 4 clicks to 2 clicks.

Overall i like Win 8 its much faster (especially with SSD) in boot, restart and shutdown. Aps run fine so far... I ran the trial version for 3 months and after i made a few changes i learned to like it alot. Some things should be disabled when you first setup WIN 8 and there should be a wizard to allow you to quickly disable silly tablet features. One example is the silly slide to unlock screen.. pointless on a laptop.

Only issue i have right now is my Asus power management stuff doesn't play well with the computer sometimes. If i leave the computer for more than 12 hours or so the computer may not resume. They have a cute BSOD lol.. so far only happened twice, but this is a 2 week fresh install..

I was shocked at USB 3.0 transfer speed.. same hardware yet it runs MUCH faster for my External HDD.. WIn 7 averaged 45-55MB/s WIN8 is closer to 85-90MB/s with large files...

Comment

Are you using IE?
              Yessir from the Desktop. It drives me insane.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXRK5 View Post
                Yessir from the Desktop. It drives me insane.
                Drop that shit, now. Get Chrome and watch it run like Swiss clockwork.

Comment

Drop that shit, now. Get Chrome and watch it run like Swiss clockwork.
                  I'll try that tonight. I've always liked chrome.

Comment

The OS is designed quite deliberately to very rarely ever be shut down (pretty much never, specifically), which is how most people use their computers. It's been an adjustment for me, because I generally shut my computers down quite often before, but it's just the same now.
                    And? What is the benefit of keeping a computer in hibernation mode except to appease the McDonalds crowd that expects their computer to be surfing the web at a moment's notice? I'm content with the computer booting up for 30-45 seconds, especially knowing that there is no NIC i/o when it's powered down. But that's probably just the paranoid infrastructure administrator in me talking.
                    People fear change and will do a lot to defy it instead of integrating themselves with it.
                    Now that's fucking bullshit right there. I don't fear change. I just bought a thousand dollar laptop to experience the changes for myself! And so far Win8 is horrendous IMO. It's a fine OS for a phone, which has a completely different intended use and operating parameters than a laptop.
                    It's quick, it's lightweight, and it's forward looking. Yes, it's different and you'll have to learn some new things and ways of doing things. But tough shit. It's not like you woke up knowing how to work Windows 3.1, you crotchety old motherfuckers.
                    I don't disagree with any of that actually, except to say that Win8 is an immature, half-baked, transitory OS that's being forced down consumers' throats. They are trying to cater to a generation of "touchy feely" Apple users that don't want administrative tools and actual useful programs getting in the way of their Facebook browsing and Instagram sharing. The technology will work fine for personal-use touch screen devices. I don't see a time that it will be an appropriate OS for business or high security usage. I see these functions as separate and distinct, therefore separate and distinct OSs are appropriate. You can't haul lumber in a Miata.

PS, I found that disabling the preloaded Norton protection makes web pages on IE10 load much faster. I was getting 15-20 second page loads before and annoyingly I couldn't scroll until the page was 100% loaded. Fucking asswhip.
                    When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

They are trying to cater to a generation of "touchy feely" Apple users that don't want administrative tools and actual useful programs getting in the way of their Facebook browsing and Instagram sharing.

PS, I found that disabling the preloaded Norton protection makes web pages on IE10 load much faster. I was getting 15-20 second page loads before and annoyingly I couldn't scroll until the page was 100% loaded. Fucking asswhip.
                      None of those capabilities have been taken away with Win8. You might not access them the same way, but they're all there.

Running Norton and/or IE10...I don't even know what to say to either of those. Neither should be run on any computer, regardless of the OS.

Comment

None of those capabilities have been taken away with Win8. You might not access them the same way, but they're all there.
                        I didn't say they were GONE, I said their intended audience doesn't want to see them so they've taken huge strides to hide them.
                        Running Norton and/or IE10...I don't even know what to say to either of those. Neither should be run on any computer, regardless of the OS.
                        I wanted to experience Win8 exactly as it comes, exactly as my friends, coworkers, and family will experience it. If the first thing I have to do to make this a viable computer is uninstall the virus protection, install two or three different browsers, disable 20 plugins, and then install a third-party application to make it emulate older, functional Windows OSs, then it's probably a piece of garbage.

Comment

I didn't say they were GONE, I said their intended audience doesn't want to see them so they've taken huge strides to hide them.

I wanted to experience Win8 exactly as it comes, exactly as my friends, coworkers, and family will experience it. If the first thing I have to do to make this a viable computer is uninstall the virus protection, install two or three different browsers, disable 20 plugins, and then install a third-party application to make it emulate older, functional Windows OSs, then it's probably a piece of garbage.
                          Disabling pre-installed Norton and getting rid of IE has been standard procedure on Windows OSs since XP.

Comment

Disabling pre-installed Norton and getting rid of IE has been standard procedure on Windows OSs since XP.
                            One would expect Microsoft to deliver a satisfying Windows experience, especially since they've had ~20 years to work with internal teams, vendors, and resellers to get a good virus protection and web browsing product packaged with their OS.

Comment

One would expect Microsoft to deliver a satisfying Windows experience, especially since they've had ~20 years to work with internal teams, vendors, and resellers to get a good virus protection and web browsing product packaged with their OS.
                              You can't expect anyhting from anyone anymore

Comment

Can't explain IE, but Security Essentials/Windows Defender (in Win8) does a pretty good job with virus protection. Norton being pre-installed is just a matter of free revenue for MSFT.

Comment

Working...
                                X