No announcement yet.

AR15 ammo for home defense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not to long ago, a gentleman in L Town dispatched another gentleman with a whole barrage of AR15 rounds in his house. Guess how many he missed with? Guess how many went into the neighbors house? Not saying they are the best for home defense but they will work, and work well. Last time I checked, most entry teams use AR15's and not shotguns. Plus my wife can handle the AR15 a lot better than the 12 gauge. They sell plenty of low penetration ammo for them also. Realistically the odds of you being home when some one burglarizes your house are very slim though unless you are sling in. Personally I am going to buy the old lady a Circuit Judge I think. Revolver and .410, the best of both worlds. Am I right fellas!
    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by ryuu View Post
      Nope, got a gun, it needs ammo, what is good? Not a hard concept and the answer for me is Federal GM223M

Like the way y'all think, hey I need to use my ar, let me run down to wally world, grab whatever they have and I'm good.
      You don't use an AR-15 for home defense, it's negligent.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
        You guys are all idiots. The obvious choice for home defense is the Taurus Judge.
        Only if you're dealing with zombie snakes.
        Originally posted by Broncojohnny
        HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
          An AR is not the weapon you want for defense, nor do I foresee a reason to have mags loaded for it. I keep some mags in an ammo box with loose rounds that i can get to in a pinch if need be, but I keep a 12ga with #3 buckshot handy, a .40 S&W bedside, and a 9mm stashed elsewhere. If something arises that I need one of my AR's to 'defend' myself, I'll know of it well ahead of time.
          Sure.......... A 9mm is way better than a AR in home defense. Lets watch a little video on that. Anything that will kill you, that is fired out of any firearm, will penetrate multiple levels of sheetrock. If that is your fear, then use a bat, sword, beanbag round, rat shot or whatever. Just know that you are most likely not going to permanently stop the threat with any of those, except maybe a sword. I have never heard anyone in LE use the word negligence when dealing with a home defense, deadly force situation(Maybe the news). If you were shooting at a home intruder, and popped your neighbor (The odds are astronomical), the likely hood of you being charged for anything is really low. Kill the intruder and a case will be filed with the grand jury, same as LE, and they will choose to indict or not, same with stray bullets. There are plenty of low impact .223 rounds that are designed to fragment and disintegrate after they strike something solid. What should probably be asked is, where he lives, distance between houses, type of house, wife, kids, etc. From what you guys are saying is if you ever get attacked in a retail store, parking lot, etc, you better not shoot a weapon or it might be negligence. Training, training, training is the key. If you are going to use a firearm, there will always be the possibility of severe consequences. Don't get me wrong, you hit someone with rat shot a few times I doubt they will shrug it off. However it just depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you are in a complex, ehhh, that might be different. Still if your going to shoot anywhere, there is always that possibility.

Last edited by kingjason; 03-11-2015, 04:52 AM. Reason: Wrong damn video
          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
            Only if you're dealing with zombie snakes.
            Well, screw going back to sleep.

Comment

In not watching all of those after seeing 1 and a half..but do any of them consider defense rounds or even #6 or 7 shot? The one I watched had one point to prove and they made sure to pick a round that would do that.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                You don't use an AR-15 for home defense, it's negligent.
                I must be really negligent since I consider an M1A or G3 to be perfect for defending myself at home or about.
                Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                  In not watching all of those after seeing 1 and a half..but do any of them consider defense rounds or even #6 or 7 shot? The one I watched had one point to prove and they made sure to pick a round that would do that.
                  But you are missing the point. People blindly defend this or that and then call people stupid for using something else. If that's all he has got then that's all he has got. You do realize how many pieces of sheetrock those went through right? Not just two but like 10. So that's equivalent to how many trailers or apartments? Like I said before, I highly doubt anyone is going to shake off being hit by any shot gun round or bean bags. It's the whole bang and then being hit with something that gets them. Bean bags leave a nice 6-8 in bruise also but generally don't penetrate. Now if your attacker/intruder is hopped up on any drugs, you might want to follow that up with 00. There is no perfect solution. Build a safe room and run and hide if you are that worried about it.

To the OP, any soft point or maybe Varmint round would be your best bet if you are worried about penetration. What I find funny also is the fact that most people think LE rounds are hotter or more lethal than standard rounds. Actually its the opposite. LE shotgun= low recoil, LE 223=usually soft points. Now the handgun stuff is a little better though usually.
                  Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
                    I must be really negligent since I consider an M1A or G3 to be perfect for defending myself at home or about.
                    This guy...

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                      This guy...
                      172 confirmed kills, bro.
                      Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                      HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
                        Yes. Funny you say that, I've actually fired a full auto G3 inside a domicile and seen what happens. I just remembered that. I also had no ears. It was loud.
                        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

the pile of UPS, Fedex, and mail trucks prove it

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                            This guy...
                            See post 20. This is how I do it and it will never change.

As the title says. What is your nightstand gun? What do you grab for first for a sound out front? Is it chambered and ready? Loaded? Locked? Mine has always been my xd40 with a 180lumen light/strobe, but I just recently bought a new 870 tactical express that I'm thinking is going to take it's place just waiting on the mag

I also have a 1919a4 at a choke point inside of my house along will some passive/semi active defensive measures.

Just one confirmed.

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                            Yes. Funny you say that, I've actually fired a full auto G3 inside a domicile and seen what happens. I just remembered that. I also had no ears. It was loud.
                            Peltors are your friend. I keep a pair hung over my head board.
                            Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

While doing a search on here to see recommendations for home defense ammo for the AR I stumbled across this and see a lot of people against using an AR for protection at home.

In light of everything that has happened since this post was last update three years ago, I'm curious if anyone has changed their opinion about keeping a loaded AR handy at home. The Sutherland Springs Church shooting as an example coming to mind.

My goto weapon would be a handgun as I always have one either on me or nearby when I'm at home. But I'm thinking more and more that the AR would be second in line and it wouldn't hurt to keep a couple of magazines of ammo loaded.

So thoughts/suggestions on an ammo choice?

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                                While doing a search on here to see recommendations for home defense ammo for the AR I stumbled across this and see a lot of people against using an AR for protection at home.

In light of everything that has happened since this post was last update three years ago, I'm curious if anyone has changed their opinion about keeping a loaded AR handy at home. The Sutherland Springs Church shooting as an example coming to mind.

My goto weapon would be a handgun as I always have one either on me or nearby when I'm at home. But I'm thinking more and more that the AR would be second in line and it wouldn't hurt to keep a couple of magazines of ammo loaded.

So thoughts/suggestions on an ammo choice?
                                I keep a .380 and .45 handgun beside me on/in the nightstand or carry one of them around pretty much at all times in the house...I don't have any long guns out but they are in the gun safe and easily accessible. Mags are loaded in the AK and AR and the 12 Gauge is loaded with slugs but nothing in the pipe...all I have to do is chamber and they are ready to go.

Comment

Working...
                                X