Buying a Bagger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a Bagger

Looking at getting a bagger, that being said I don't want to go drop alot of coin on one before I know that I really like riding one.

I am just curious what everyone is riding and how they like that bike. Mainly I am looking at:
    Kawasaki Nomad
    Road Star
    VTX 1300 or 1800

Thanks for any input

I had a 06 Vulcan loaded out and it rode fantastic. I dont think you can go wrong with any of them to be honest. I ride a 96 HD Electra soloed out now and although it is a really sweet ride my Vulcan would eat it alive, however I look cool and love my tunes. LOL. The Nomad with a front fairing and radio would be a really nice set up.
    Last edited by kingjason; 12-05-2010, 03:43 PM.
    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

RADIO is a must.

I baggered my star 1300, ebay radio faring and some soft bags.

I have ridden the Stratoliner a bunch because my buddy has one. It is a bigger framed bike than my star, and I like the stretch out feeling I have. He sometimes feels like it is a bit of reach.

Bout how big a boy are ya?
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I had a vtx1300 for a few years and to be honest wouldnt do it again. Not that it didnt have power but the power band was weird and the gearing not the best for highway riding. Also try it on first but my back didnt like it after a few hours riding.
        Originally posted by Sean88gt
        As always, my criticisms should never be taken as if I wouldn't go balls deep in it.

Comment

Triumph Rocket III, 500 more ccs and tons more torque than anything HD offers. I don't own one yet but will.

Comment

Kingjason, which Vulacn did you have the 1500 or 1600? Did it have any issues/quirks you noticed? I have looked at a few of them with the fairings and they look good.

Baron, I am 6 ft 210 so I want something that is comfortable for that size, on sport bikes I normally ended up raising the bars to fit. Thanks for included the Stratoliner I had forgotten about that one.

Dawkins, thanks for the input. The VTX is low on my list but it is nice to know about the gearing/power issues.

BP, I think the Rocket may be out of my price range for the first/intro bagger.

Thanks everyone for the input, all of this is very helpful.

Comment

well we are roughly the same size. Most of the 1300+ bikes should be fine. Check out the Royal Star Tour Deluxe, they seem to get good reviews from what I have read, and are v4's, making them really smooth. I like my Star 1300, it is water cooled and belt driven, so you dont have to worry about hot days at low speed in traffic or chains or drive shafts to lube and maintain.

When are you going to make your move? I will have the tank back on mine in a week or two, you are welcome to come check it out. I havent really thought too hard about selling it, but I would be interested in an upgrade, so I would consider it. Either way it will give you a bit of reference, my buddy's Strato is right around the corner.
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I had the 1600 and you can pick them up pretty decently. I had zero issues in the three years I owned and I bought it new. It was very smooth on the highway. Dont forget the VRod they are nice too and pretty decently priced plus you can bagger them out. LOL

Dammit deleated all my pics. Pffft
                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                  well we are roughly the same size. Most of the 1300+ bikes should be fine. Check out the Royal Star Tour Deluxe, they seem to get good reviews from what I have read, and are v4's, making them really smooth. I like my Star 1300, it is water cooled and belt driven, so you dont have to worry about hot days at low speed in traffic or chains or drive shafts to lube and maintain.

When are you going to make your move? I will have the tank back on mine in a week or two, you are welcome to come check it out. I havent really thought too hard about selling it, but I would be interested in an upgrade, so I would consider it. Either way it will give you a bit of reference, my buddy's Strato is right around the corner.
                  I won't be getting anything before June since I just got back to TX and my apartment complex doesn't have detached/attached garages and I am here until June. So right now I am just trying to do any research I can, talking to people who have ridden the bikes I am looking at. Also, I have been looking online at the different bags and fairings that are available so I can see if it's better to get one already "bagged" or select them myself. If all works out I plan on taking whatever I get on at trip around August/September from here to CO to Utah and back so I am looking to get something with power and capacity.

I test drove a Raider and a M109R about a year back and agree with you about the Belt Drive besides the maintenance it was smoother than the shaft drive.

Comment

check out corbin, their stuff looks great (most of the time) as long as you dont like money.

I bought the $300 ebay fairing and made brackets to mount it up. It took me about a day of work to mount the speakers, radio, and make the brackets. Overall, I am very happy with it, and would do it again. It really cuts the air better than a billboard style windshield.

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                      Dont forget the VRod they are nice too and pretty decently priced plus you can bagger them out. LOL
                      naw, the vrod I had was def not a good bagger, cause it wasn't geared for the highway and only had a 5spd. it was revving hella high at 70mph. I wouldn't get one again.
                      HD Parts
                      paul@maverickhd.com

Comment

I have 05 Hd Electra Glide that I am fixing to sell. I have had it almost 2 years and love the style of bike and want a 2011 Street glide with the 103 kit. I know you are not looking now but I am fixing to put mine for sale for $10k with 22k miles.
                        2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                          I had the 1600 and you can pick them up pretty decently. I had zero issues in the three years I owned and I bought it new. It was very smooth on the highway. Dont forget the VRod they are nice too and pretty decently priced plus you can bagger them out. LOL

Dammit deleated all my pics. Pffft

I have been looking, I think getting the Vulcan and adding the bags is the best bet. The Nomads seem to be priced higher then the cost of adding bags to the Vulcan.

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
                            I have 05 Hd Electra Glide that I am fixing to sell. I have had it almost 2 years and love the style of bike and want a 2011 Street glide with the 103 kit. I know you are not looking now but I am fixing to put mine for sale for $10k with 22k miles.

I rode an 06 a few years ago when I was visiting Atlanta but it was only for like 20 miles. It seemed to be very comfortable but is out of my current price range. GLWTS on yours.

Comment

I have a Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Classic.04 model with leather bags, seat by Carey, MP3 radio set up. 17k miles and not a thing wrong with the way it runs. There is a couple of dents in the gas tank that can be fixed for a couple of hundred. I have not laid it over, bought it that way. Has crash bar and highway pegs as well.

$4000.00 takes it.

Last edited by SSMAN; 12-05-2010, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X