• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by likeitfast55 View Post
    http://shop.redxarms.com/16-FLUTED-T...LF-300BLKF.htm

CJ , is this not a .300 black-out?

Randy
    Yes it is, we were discussing the 7.5" barrel.

And by the way - I emailed them, you can get their 7.5" .300 BLK classic upper WITHOUT the muzzle brake for $315, just fyi.
    Last edited by CJ; 06-11-2012, 03:16 PM.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Explain why someone would want to go .300 BLK.

Just curious. Is ammo (for not re-loaders) decently priced?

Comment

The cheapest I could find it is $12/20 online. A big upside if you don't reload is: plenty of folks do, and will buy your brass. It's worth picking up.
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by yale View Post
          the cheapest i could find it is $12/20 online. A big upside if you don't reload is: Plenty of folks do, and will buy your brass. It's worth picking up.
          ssshhhhh
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
            Explain why someone would want to go .300 BLK.

Just curious. Is ammo (for not re-loaders) decently priced?
            It has more energy delivery, superior subsonic ballistics, .223 case, .30 cal projectile, both surplus available. Cheap to reload. .300 BLK has a slight advantage supersonic, and a considerable advantage subsonic. Such as 100-115gr loads, it's moving around 2500fps and that's more energy than a 77gr @ 2900 is going to do, so it's a definite advantage there. For example, A typical 20" AR15 target gun loading a 77gr @ 2900fps is going to deliver 1595ft/lbs of energy. A .300 BLK 115gr @ 2500fps delivers the same 1595ft/lbs - the same energy with a much shorter barrel, and it will retain the energy better than a .223. When it gets to bigger bullets and slower speeds it enters territory that .223 just can't offer. For instance, a .300BLK 225gr @ 1100fps is 604ft/lbs of energy - and it's super quiet subsonic and extremely efficient - it loses less than 10fps @ 100 yards. The best a .223 could do is a 77gr @ 1100fps for 206ft/lbs... pretty pathetic in subsonic and highly unstable, it might not even make it 100 yards without destabilizing. It's also important to remember even when energy delivery is the same, a .30 cal bullet is considerably larger than .223, so it will do more tissue damage.

I load my 24" long range rifle extremely hot, slinging 77gr .223 rounds @ 3080fps for 1621ft/lbs so you can best a .300BLK if you have a really long ass barrel and super hot rounds, but I think anyone would prefer a rifle 1/3rd the length and weight.
            Last edited by CJ; 06-11-2012, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
              more energy delivery, superior subsonic ballistics, .223 case, .30 cal projectile, both surplus available. Cheap to reload.
              And all this can be had by swapping your existing 5.56 barrel to 300 Black. It's the wave of the future.

Comment

I need to get into reloading...

....stupid house...

Can you shoot .223/5.56 through a 300 BLK barrel?

Comment

I need to get into reloading...

....stupid house...

Can you shoot .223/5.56 through a 300 BLK barrel?
                  .223 = .223" bore diameter. .300 blk = .30" bore diameter.

Comment

At least once!
                    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                    HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

.223 = .223" bore diameter. .300 blk = .30" bore diameter.
                      I guess I am showing my stupidity here.... .22 is smaller than .30, would the bullet try to tumble or something due to the extra space around it?

Comment

Yes it would bounce down the barrel.

Comment

Yes it would bounce down the barrel.
                          Ah, thank you. I somehow though the pressure would "cushion" it on the side, but with the extra space, I guess it would vent so quickly it would screw stuff up.

See...you learn something every day

Comment

Ah, thank you. I somehow though the pressure would "cushion" it on the side, but with the extra space, I guess it would vent so quickly it would screw stuff up.

See...you learn something every day

Because the bullet wouldn't obturate the bore, the much of gas would basically blow right by it.

Comment

You can't buy the upper until you have a registered lower though correct? The 7.5 that is?

Comment

Originally posted by GSXRK5 View Post
                                You can't buy the upper until you have a registered lower though correct? The 7.5 that is?
                                Yes as long as you have a lower in a pistol configuration.

Comment

Working...
                                X