No announcement yet.

The official 2012 deer hunting thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The official 2012 deer hunting thread.

6 weeks to go and i can go poke one with a stick. I've seen a few nice bucks on the wildlife refuge next to me. I'm going to put in for the draw to hunt over there as well. They come onto my land, but it takes them usually last light. Id like to shoot the 160 inch ive been watching over there.

I dont have any pictures of them as they dont go far. 1/4 mile from bedding at most.

I hope this year is better then last since my stand has been up this whole time instead of dropping in a stand a couple weeks before season

the temps need to cool down here though.. dad was there last week and said it was 110 when he got there at 4p
    1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

The heat has been helping me, but they are loving my 180 acres of soy beans and the water running down the rows. There is atleast 3-4 in my field all day long. Dawn and dusk im up to 25ish, but only 4 bucks.

In the winter i usually have a herd of 40-60 during rifle season.
      Last edited by Sleeper; 08-05-2012, 09:32 PM.

Comment

They are EVERYWHERE up here too. This mild winter has made them crazy around here. I see at least 5 a day smashed on the side of the road and have seen a few cross in front of me. Can't wait for this season. Last season I saw 1 doe, and no buck on our land. We go on my father in laws farm, he has 160 acres and it borders state game land. Its a good time.

Comment

I have 600 or so acres that borders a federal wildlife area.

Trip you rifle hunting? If you really want to know where the deer are on your place find the trails in the spring and set yours stands up then. Feed lots of protein in the early year, and then move over to carbs and fatty stuff during rut. I put out salt licks, but still learning about the mineral side of it.

I've got access to wheat, soybeans, corn from crops, so im set in that aspect. Ask a local farmer to buy directly in the fields. Itll save him transport cost, and taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
            I have 600 or so acres that borders a federal wildlife area.

Trip you rifle hunting? If you really want to know where the deer are on your place find the trails in the spring and set yours stands up then. Feed lots of protein in the early year, and then move over to carbs and fatty stuff during rut. I put out salt licks, but still learning about the mineral side of it.

I've got access to wheat, soybeans, corn from crops, so im set in that aspect. Ask a local farmer to buy directly in the fields. Itll save him transport cost, and taxes.
            Rifle hunt, yes. Already taking opening day off work.
            Yeah we scope it out, trails etc beforehand. We have a few game cams set up too and stands. We have seen a few bears on the game cam this off season already.

Comment

I'm going to try and get a cull cow elk hunt going on a high fence joint out here, but it's strictly to fill the freezer. Other than that, I doubt I end up killing anything.
              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Going to try to get a couple of whitetail does this year as well as a hog or two in south Texas and arkansas to stock the freezer.

Definitely going dove hunting opening day in south Texas, and hoping to get some fall and spring turkey hunting done too.

Comment

I haven't been hunting in years. Hope all goes well for you guys. Looks like another year of sittin on the sidelines here.

Comment

I'm ready for season to get here, our lease is pretty dry but not as bad as last year hopefully the deer have faired a little better. I plan on dropping at least 1 doe this year we have some thinning of the heard that needs to be done, hopefully I can get my cameras up in the next week or so and see what all is coming in.
                    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                      They are EVERYWHERE up here too. This mild winter has made them crazy around here. I see at least 5 a day smashed on the side of the road and have seen a few cross in front of me. Can't wait for this season. Last season I saw 1 doe, and no buck on our land. We go on my father in laws farm, he has 160 acres and it borders state game land. Its a good time.
                      Man I hope you're right, been paying for out of state buck license for years and have not seen one that was legal to shoot. (See them all the time in Commerce, TX)

Did not go last year (was moving), but turns out have to find a new area. Oil companies decided to make a road where I used to be at.
                      Originally posted by MR EDD
                      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

If anybody needs some game recovery please don't hesitate to ask me. I've got some tracking dogs and they're certified with UBT so they have certificates of usefulness if that's important to you. I'll travel anywhere in Texas during deer season. I just ask for the gas money plus $250 recovery fee once the game is recovered. If the game isn't recovered it's free of charge. Happy hunting everybody good luck in season.

Comment

^i need someone to collect on a debt, will your dogs bite them until they pay?

Comment

Originally posted by Jwp View Post
                            If anybody needs some game recovery please don't hesitate to ask me. I've got some tracking dogs and they're certified with UBT so they have certificates of usefulness if that's important to you. I'll travel anywhere in Texas during deer season. I just ask for the gas money plus $250 recovery fee once the game is recovered. If the game isn't recovered it's free of charge. Happy hunting everybody good luck in season.
                            Could have used this three seasons ago. Lost a very nice 10 pointer. Waited over an hour to start tracking him, found a huge puddle about 75 yards into the brush. Guess we spooked him across the creek, should have stopped then. Found another large puddle across the creek then tracked him for over a mile and loss him in a creek crossing....

Comment

Originally posted by Chopped54 View Post
                              Could have used this three seasons ago. Lost a very nice 10 pointer. Waited over an hour to start tracking him, found a huge puddle about 75 yards into the brush. Guess we spooked him across the creek, should have stopped then. Found another large puddle across the creek then tracked him for over a mile and loss him in a creek crossing....
                              Shot too far back or just a tough sob?
                              "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Working...
                              X