Cop saves STG44 from shredder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cop saves STG44 from shredder

Hartford, CT officer John Cavanna made himself a hero of the gun world last weekend, as he rescued a piece of history from a gun buyback program shredder, by refusing to accept an StG 44 brought in by the daughter of a World War II artilleryman.

The StG 44 is an early assault rifle, the first to see major military adoption, and the reason why every current military in the world issues assault rifles to this day. It changed the way war was fought, and changed the world of small arms. It represents a turning point in history, and continues to make it, in small ways like this.

"Usually, this rifle would be issued to SS troops," said Cavanna. "In excellent condition, this gun is rated at $30,000 to $40,000."

The StG 44 was a war trophy belonging to the woman's father. "You could kill a solider back then, and if the captain of your fighting unit signed off on it, you could send that gun home to your family or kid brother or cousin. Anything you wanted. Her father, who was a World War II army man, had brought this gun home from the European theater," Cavanna said.

Cavanna is not just a peace officer but also a gun historian, and we thank him from rescuing this artifact and elevating himself above the buyback fray. The owner will be allowed to keep the rifle and sell it to a museum.

"The chance to see a piece of history—this…is absolutely unbelievable," said Officer Lewis Crabtree of the Hartford Police Dept. "This is a gun that should actually be in a museum rather than in a shredder."

Gun buybacks are already hugely controversial. At best they disarm the poor, at worst they are used to destroy evidence and artifacts like these. For every gun buyback that's exploited as a children's fundraiser, there are dozens that raise all sorts of red flags like this recent buyback in Massachusetts that exchanged guns for flu shots.

But it's nice to see that there are sometimes silver linings to these largely ineffective and counter-productive programs.

And we hope that other officers follow his lead. We've all heard stories of amazing, often singular firearms going to the big armory in the sky because they were found by people who didn't know better and they turned them into gun buyback programs. The world needs more John Cavannas. Keep up the good work, and as gun lovers, we're all in your debt.

haha how many of you would have just snatched the guy from shredder or bought outright from her

I've been tempted so many times to buy shit from people, but in the end the good conscious side of me says don't do it. Most of the time I offer money for parts and cut it up with proper legal avenues involved or direct them to a museum who is capable of receiving such possessions if the want to keep whole.

The Denton County Sheriffs Office, thanks to the help and persuasion of my father, has been good at preserving historical firearms for the last 40 years from destruction. Whether the guns are turn ins or confiscations, if it has some historical precedence they save it. They've also been gracious enough to bring the items out for public viewing at events etc.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
      I've been tempted so many times to buy shit from people, but in the end the good conscious side of me says don't do it. Most of the time I offer money for parts and cut it up with proper legal avenues involved or direct them to a museum who is capable of receiving such possessions if the want to keep whole.

The Denton County Sheriffs Office, thanks to the help and persuasion of my father, has been good at preserving historical firearms for the last 40 years from destruction. Whether the guns are turn ins or confiscations, if it has some historical precedence they save it. They've also been gracious enough to bring the items out for public viewing at events etc.
      I would have bought it.. Honestly I dont think I'd feel bad for some one turning in a family members war time prize. That says a lot to me.............. Like those people on pawn stars selling family members prized items for nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by onemeangixxer7502 View Post
        I would have bought it.. Honestly I dont think I'd feel bad for some one turning in a family members war time prize. That says a lot to me.............. Like those people on pawn stars selling family members prized items for nothing.
        Buying it and legally owning it are two different things. If its registered it may be worth the price quoted in the story with capture paperwork (no capture paperwork it's worth half that), if its unregistered its worth $0-$2500 in parts.

Comment

I have often wondered what qualifications are necessary to start a museum that would allow stuff to be put on a form 10 over to.
          Originally posted by lincolnboy
          After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by onemeangixxer7502 View Post

show is fake dewd....

Comment

Originally posted by MattB View Post
              show is fake dewd....
              It was a generalization. Ive seen people sell off family heirlooms first hand in pawn shops! Either way that would have been a find!

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                I have often wondered what qualifications are necessary to start a museum that would allow stuff to be put on a form 10 over to.
                I think you have to be federally recognized/acknowledged in some fashion.

Comment

I think you have to be federally recognized/acknowledged in some fashion.
                  I would assume so. I have an adequate facility and have pondered opening a museum for cars and firearms. Hell, I'll call it the Torque and Recoil Society.

Comment

I would assume so. I have an adequate facility and have pondered opening a museum for cars and firearms. Hell, I'll call it the Torque and Recoil Society.
                    Yeah I always wanted to own museum. But what a pain in the ass sometimes.

But if you do it right, you get access to a ton I cool shit from the govt.

Comment

Yeah I always wanted to own museum. But what a pain in the ass sometimes.

But if you do it right, you get access to a ton I cool shit from the govt.
                      My degree in History qualifies me to either curate a shoddy museum or manage a grocery store. Maybe someday I can get something going. I have the space, just not the time. Also I don't believe that curating a museum from 10,000 miles away is feasible at this time.

Comment

Start a museum of American history in Australia?
                        Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                        HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
                          Start a museum of American history in Australia?
                          Nah, I'll wait for Texas to secede and then construct a few consulates/embassies. Anyone from this site want a cushy job by the beach? Pay might suck but I can guarantee an infinite supply of pussy.

Comment

Pussy is my preferred currency.
                            Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                            HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Nah, I'll wait for Texas to secede and then construct a few consulates/embassies. Anyone from this site want a cushy job by the beach? Pay might suck but I can guarantee an infinite supply of pussy.
                              I'm down.
                              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Working...
                              X