DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > Home Improvement and Media

Home Improvement and Media Post up any home improvement, home audio, gardening, anything related to your house in here.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:56 PM   #1
Rick Modena
Cockasaurusmex

Question JBL sub making loud popping sound...

My JBL sub on my home surround sound is making loud pops at random times. It's hooked up to my HK AVR-320 by Optic wire, all connections seem firm.
When it makes the popping sound it's pretty loud and makes you jump, Sub or SS head unit?
Rick Modena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:50 AM   #2
juiceweezl
Lifer

What is the source coming from? My HK soundbar setup makes the wireless sub pop sometimes on certain channels (DirecTV) and the sound will often cut in and out. Never had the problem with u-verse and it doesn't show up with Blu-ray. Try a different source and see if it repeats.
juiceweezl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:48 AM   #3
BP
infidel

First unplug all of the inputs and see if it does it. If so it's probably an amplifier problem. If not then I'd try plugging it into another outlet, if no difference then try a different source. If it still acts up and you can access the speaker leads I'd run an ohm meter across the terminals and push the cone through it's full excursion. You are looking for a a shorted voice coil.

The amplifier is probably repairable, the speaker definitely is or you can replace it with one of the same impedance/size.
BP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:58 AM   #4
BP
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceweezl View Post
What is the source coming from? My HK soundbar setup makes the wireless sub pop sometimes on certain channels (DirecTV) and the sound will often cut in and out. Never had the problem with u-verse and it doesn't show up with Blu-ray. Try a different source and see if it repeats.
Have you tried turning off 5.1 decoding? Directv doesn't broadcast every channel in 5.1 and with a soundbar you aren't using it anyway. It might have a lag when switching between decoding modes.
BP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:40 AM   #5
juiceweezl
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP View Post
Have you tried turning off 5.1 decoding? Directv doesn't broadcast every channel in 5.1 and with a soundbar you aren't using it anyway. It might have a lag when switching between decoding modes.
Using PCM signal. I'm afraid the soundbar might be on it's last go round as well. It's an old Harman Kardan SB26. The unit actually does Dolby decoding too. I got it new for under $250 due to a mispriced unit. Love that it does HDMI switching so that I don't have to change TV inputs. Blu-rays work great on it though. I'll double check the DTV box though. I want U-verse back.
juiceweezl is offline   Reply With Quote