DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > God and Country

God and Country Politics and Religion

Old 05-10-2016, 07:33 AM   #21
Strychnine
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc281 View Post
Blueprint for Armageddon is like 18 hours long if I remember correctly. You mean all 6 episodes?
Yeah, 6 episodes. Woops
Strychnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:03 AM   #22
sc281
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strychnine View Post
Yeah, 6 episodes. Woops
You'll enjoy it. Well worth the time.

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats." P. J. O'Rourke
sc281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:20 AM   #23
Strychnine
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc281 View Post
You'll enjoy it. Well worth the time.
Btw I know there was a podcast thread elsewhere, but you should go download the Port of Dallas episode of 99% Invisible.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:35 PM   #24
Strychnine
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Made it through about 6 hours of it today (almost through episode 2). The background leading up to WWI is pretty incredible.
The history on Gavrilo Princip was awesome.
The whole thought process about how this was what would take us from the old world to the new... that the Russian Czar, German (Prussian) Kaiser, (both words rooted in "Caesar"), etc are all constructs going back hundreds or thousands of years, but in this case those men were not the most powerful or best options - that blood put them in place, not merit - and that weak leadership (Wilhelm was a pussy compared to Bismarck, who managed a super complex group of alliances and kept the whole region in check) of powerful nations leads to very bad things... very thought provoking.

To the original question, yeah it would have made a difference. The French on the western front needed to stall long enough for the Russians to come in from the east and the stalling lent itself well to trenching in. It wouldn't matter if the Germans took Paris if the Russians were marching into Berlin at the same time. But Germany would have needed to win quickly and decisively... and not let another reason for stalling and drawing it out to come up.

I'll probably get through another 6 hours tomorrow. Will check in again.

Last edited by Strychnine; 05-10-2016 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:42 PM   #25
Strychnine
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Not to make this all about the podcast, but there are SO many details that you just don't learn about in American history classes.

When the Germans decided to try to coast right through Belgium and expected no resistance, but they put up a fight with their fort defenses... blew my mind.

Hearing stories from the Battle of Liège was nuts. The Germans needed to break through this line of VERY well built Belgian forts. The Belgians weren't having any of it though, and as the Germans charged they would mow them down with rifle and machine gun fire, along with field cannons (They were built so that a long line of these forts all had overlapping fields of fire and trenches connecting between them). Literal stories of Belgian officers wondering if they should have their men try to shoot holes through the mounting piles of bodies... or send men out to clear the piles of bodies so the Germans wouldn't have barriers to hide behind...

And then the Germans finally got their LARGE ass cannons up to the front. Large like 420 mm and 2200 lb shells (the gun crews, which were like 100 guys, had to move 300 yds away and fire remotely). They would shoot a 4000 ft high arc (60 sec flight time) and drop these shells straight down on the forts (which were mostly buried and had underground rail lines, etc) and just pound the fuck out of them until surrender or until a round connected with the magazine and blew it to hell and back.

Or the German general, who was not even fighting, just there as an observer, took over for a fallen leader, led a group of men straight through the fort line right to the citadel in Liège and pounded on the door with the hilt of his fucking SWORD and demanded surrender... which the Belgians finally did.

And that was just one of the VERY early battles.

Last edited by Strychnine; 05-10-2016 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:18 PM   #26
sc281
Lifer

Quote:
Not to make this all about the podcast, but there are SO many details that you just don't learn about in American history classes.

When the Germans decided to try to coast right through Belgium and expected no resistance, but they put up a fight with their fort defenses... blew my mind.

Hearing stories from the Battle of Liège was nuts. The Germans needed to break through this line of VERY well built Belgian forts. The Belgians weren't having any of it though, and as the Germans charged they would mow them down with rifle and machine gun fire, along with field cannons (They were built so that a long line of these forts all had overlapping fields of fire and trenches connecting between them). Literal stories of Belgian officers wondering if they should have their men try to shoot holes through the mounting piles of bodies... or send men out to clear the piles of bodies so the Germans wouldn't have barriers to hide behind...

And then the Germans finally got their LARGE ass cannons up to the front. Large like 420 mm and 2200 lb shells (the gun crews, which were like 100 guys, had to move 300 yds away and fire remotely). They would shoot a 4000 ft high arc (60 sec flight time) and drop these shells straight down on the forts (which were mostly buried and had underground rail lines, etc) and just pound the fuck out of them until surrender or until a round connected with the magazine and blew it to hell and back.

Or the German general, who was not even fighting, just there as an observer, took over for a fallen leader, led a group of men straight through the fort line right to the citadel in Liège and pounded on the door with the hilt of his fucking SWORD and demanded surrender... which the Belgians finally did.

And that was just one of the VERY early battles.
Ludendorff: certified badass.

I think I'll re-listen to it along with you to give better commentary. I mixed Erich Ludendorff with Erich Von falkenhayn for a second there, so I could use the refresher anyway.

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats." P. J. O'Rourke
Old 05-10-2016, 08:27 PM   #27
sc281
Lifer

Quote:
Btw I know there was a podcast thread elsewhere, but you should go download the Port of Dallas episode of 99% Invisible.
That looks pretty damn interesting. I'll get to that at some point.

I'm ankle deep in Paul Rahe's The Grand Strategy of Classical Sparta, and then to continue with Edward gibbon's The Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire - which is 127 hours in audiobook format

Yikes

A good podcast for you if you're still on a history kick after this is The History of Rome by Mike Duncan. Chopped up into 20 Minute or so episodes gives a good way to absorb the info. Also the format is much more entertaining than Plutarch, Livy, and I fear, Gibbon.

Last edited by sc281; 05-10-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:33 PM   #28
mstng86
MEAT HOARDER

I started the podcast today too. Probably where you are strych. It's pretty crazy when he talked about the Germans callin in the big guns to take out the forts. He talked about the size difference in the cannons from napoleons time to the battle. Crazy how big the guns were
mstng86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:43 PM   #29
davbrucas
Lifer
VIP Member

Five 12-14 minute videos that summarize each year of the conflict. Very well done and very informative.

davbrucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:42 AM   #30
jw33
These go to eleven...

I'm on part V of this podcast and came across this one night while looking for the matrix.

It is actually showing at a few places close on the 17th and I'm going to make an effort to check it out.

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/...tm_term=warner
jw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:52 AM   #31
Shaggin Wagon
Shaggin'

From what I've seen, the world punished Germany so bad after the first world war that it caused them to raise up and start the second world war for redemption.

But I will say, If we didn't have the wars we've had so far, there would be other wars, its what humans do, been doing this since the beginning of time for us.
Shaggin Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:04 PM   #32
Broncojohnny
Lifer

Funny this thread came back up. I am finally listening to this and am on episode V.

Also, Dan has started a new series about the Japanese, Supernova in the East. It fits in well with my comment earlier about the Japanese eventually taking on the Americans. I think one thing to remember about the Japanese is that they were absolutely savage because of their propaganda centered society and the fact that they went from a quasi medieval/feudal state to an early industrial power in a matter of a decade. If they had been allowed to continue with their nonsense without challenge it could have been disastrous. One thing you will hear in the Armageddon podcast is that America, thanks to Woodrow Wilson, was very non-interventionist until the sinking of the Lusitania and Germany's trying to convince Mexico to join the Central Powers. If we had not entered the war at all thanks to an early German victory we may not have become the industrial power we were. That industrial power won the war against Japan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by racrguy View Post
Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.
Broncojohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:44 PM   #33
AnthonyS
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw33 View Post
I'm on part V of this podcast and came across this one night while looking for the matrix.

It is actually showing at a few places close on the 17th and I'm going to make an effort to check it out.

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/...tm_term=warner
I want to see this too. I’m glad a film maker like Jackson did this. Preserving history is important. In Dallas schools are busy teaching the pillars of Islam instead of the wars the us fought to preserve freedom.
AnthonyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:39 AM   #34
Gasser64
Lifer

Question is, would it have been better if they'd won ww2
Old 12-07-2018, 09:47 AM   #35
Strychnine
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojohnny View Post
Supernova in the East.
4 months since episode 1 came out... I'm getting impatient.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:53 PM   #36
scootro
Lifer

Hypothetical Axis victory in World War II

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoth...n_World_War_II
scootro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:18 PM   #37
Broncojohnny
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser64 View Post
Question is, would it have been better if they'd won ww2
You must be drunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by racrguy View Post
Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.
Broncojohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:41 PM   #38
Nash B.
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojohnny View Post
You must be drunk
Every minute of his life
Nash B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:27 AM   #39
Gasser64
Lifer

Well there's people saying there were no gas chambers now. So you've got that.

Tags
dohctr came so hard, ludendorffstolesvoglory, svo #1 russian killer, svo founded germany, svo knew prinzip in 30s, svo partied w/ hitler, svo shot the archduke, svo won ww1