My Remodel Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
    The backsplash needs to be pretty flat. Mastic goes down with a 1/16" or 1/8" v notch trowel...its a small trowel. I wouldnt expect perfection but if you have a vertical seam, I would want it floated at least once, preferrably twice. A horizontal seam taped/bed once as the tape goes in the factory depressed joint.

thinking about it...if its not a factor long edge joint, I would wanted it floated twice. I doubt you will have two panels coming together correctly
    The bare drywall has a good bit of diselevation in refence to the old stuff.

I've got my drywall guy coming saturday to float it all out so that should cover it hopefully. I've got a 12" knife that I may work it a little to save them some work between now and then. My main concern was whether floating it with drywall mud was going to have an adverse effect on the mastic.

It looks like I will be doing the floor tile myself. Every tile contractor I talk to is 2 weeks out and we can't wait that long. I've got our kitchen and utility room tile ripped out.

Any suggestions on the best way to prep the slab? I didn't really do a thorough clean up the first time around and my tile came up pretty easily. I had one spot that broke free from the slab about 14 months after laying it. I got a hollow sound along a grout line.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

• Tile will be going in on Saturday. Our tile punch guy from work is available and is going to lay it for $2/ft. I trust his work, and I don't have to do it, money well spent!

Granite is getting measured this afternoon. They originally gave a 5-10 day turnaround, I am hoping for something closer to 5 day. If I can have this thing put back together by the middle of next week I will be happy.

Comment

• well, the granite company was scheduled to come by at 4 and measure, they still haven't arrived. So, I called my salesman for the company we use at work. Not sure why I didn't call them before to see if they could help me out. He is going to get with the rep in my area and see how soon that can get me taken care of. Hopefully the amount of business we do for them gets me a cheap install.

Comment

• I would Acid etch the floor and use a Good polymer modified thin set for the floor.
          One day at a time.

Comment

• Bench seat went in this morning, along with a new floor to ceiling cab with the spice rack and tray dividers. They retro'd the other two cabs and my tile is going in now!

Comment

• Here is where we are now. Tile completely installed!

I will grout it myself in the morning. Cabinet company will be back Tuesday to take care of the bench seat top. They will be leaving it raw and unattached so that I can stain it. Granite should also be in on Tuesday morning as well. Hopefully by the end of the week I can have the back splash in and the drywall finished up. I have some can lights to install, I just haven't mustered to courage to go through that process yet!

Comment

• The tile looks awesome!

Comment

• Originally posted by Unicorn Jeff View Post
                  The tile looks awesome!
                  It really sets the cabinets off and gives the contrast that we need. The wife loves it because it has glitter spots in it

Comment

• Well, it took me all afternoon/evening but the floor is grouted. Hopefully tomorrow I can get a little painting done, get the fridge put in its place and swap out thr nook light fixture.

Comment

• Well, a HUGE step forward today. Granite was installed, and I think the cabinet company is finally finished. The top is on the bench seat, drawers are straight, they are touched up, and the floor to ceiling cabinet is cut down. We found out last night the opening was not wide enough for our fridge. So, they cut the overhang off of the right stile and put it back in place. We should be good to go now. Once they both packed up and left, I got to work on the backsplash. An 8 PM run to Home Depot to rent a tile saw and I finished up about 11. Here is a teaser shot:

I will post a backsplash photo once it is grouted.

Comment

• Here is one of the best parts of the new cabinets. A huge spice rack pull out

I am torn on how to finish the back splash. I am thinking I need to run bull nose along the top here and end it at the cabinets

If I do that, this bull nose corner will move up

And here is the completed sink side

Comment

• I'm not a fan of the bullnose tile you're using on the ends, it just doesn't match the beveled subway tile at all.

Comment

• just caulk the edges and grout it and it will look fine

Comment

• Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                              I'm not a fan of the bullnose tile you're using on the ends, it just doesn't match the beveled subway tile at all.
                              The edges of the tile are unfinished and have a beige color to them. I didn't like the way it looked with the open end of the depression at the ends of the splash, I felt it needed something to finish it off.
                              Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                              just caulk the edges and grout it and it will look fine
                              Right now, the top corner of the tile is protruding out past the corner bull nose piece.

Comment

• I am currently regretting not pre-wiring for under cabinet lighting. I didn't feel like I had time to run all of the wires before the cabinets went in. Now, I am looking for alternatives. I am currently entertaining low voltage puck lights. The oven cab side shouldn't be a problem, I can mount the transformer in the cabinet above the microwave and run the wires along the inside corners of the cabinets down to where I need them without much issue. The sink side will take a little more figuring on how to get that one run as the cabinets are split and I don't have a good way to get to the cabinet to the left of the sink with power.

Thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                                X