Any cubscout/scout people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big A View Post
    No offense here, though I do happen to be a former scout, and appreciate why we wore the uniforms. Quite a bit more durable when camping than gym shorts and a t-shirt, and a lot more breathable than jeans. Brownies, is a different org btw.

Please do point me to this "well-documented" contempt for scout uniforms. My uncle is still quite involved in the troop that I grew up in, and they aren't hurting for scouts.
    Who said gym shorts and t shirts? All it takes is some PFG or similar functional camping gear. I'm not talking an overhaul...I'm talking keeping up with the state of the times.

Theres a common theme here among everyone that is set on it and it's the horrible but far too common "that's the way we've always done it" mentality. That permeates through an organization. Sure a uniform may seem like a small deal but that mentality leads to death by a thousand paper cuts.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
      Since a rectum cannot become pregnant no matter how much you cum in it your opinion in this matter doesn't count, I was addressing people that have or could have children.

The lowering participation rates in scouting has more to do with the left trying to compromise the organization then it has to do with the uniforms being uncomfortable. 1in 5 Boy Scouts in the US are members of the Mormon church and the Mormon church has decided to start their own scouting program and to kick the Boy Scouts of America to the curb.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.011a0b4e599e
      Dropping enrollment started long before that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
        Football Uniforms havent changed?
        Did I say football uniforms haven't changed? I said uniforms are worn for the same purpose.

Comment

Agree it is mostly about the Den and participation.

I did it for two years with my kids and felt like it was a little too arts and crafts for me.

Also didn't feel I was getting the value out of the costs.

We switched back to sports.
          WRX

Comment

Originally posted by jewozzy View Post
            Did I say football uniforms haven't changed? I said uniforms are worn for the same purpose.
            And I'm talking about updating the uniforms...

Modern football uniforms have been updated several times to improve their function. They dont stick by the old crappy design because of tradition and identification.

Comment

The primary components are a dress shirt with earned patches sewn on, and cargo shorts or jeans. Where tradition comes in is the color scheme and kerchief, and yes, tradition is a big part of the organization. If wearing a kerchief isn't your son's thing, then there are plenty of other after schools activities to get involved in. If the uniform is non-starter, your priorities aren't inline with what scouting is about. Last I checked, there isn't a pretty-boy merit badge. Seriously, what 8-year old boy gives a damn about their clothes?

There is zero mention of the uniform as being cause for the decline in participation in that link.

Comment

Originally posted by mustang_revival View Post
                Agree it is mostly about the Den and participation.
                This is what I have heard too. I'm on an outdoor oriented forum that is heavy into primitive living and survival skills (not prepper style, lost / injured / living in the woods type) and a lot of them are involved with scouting as leaders today, or otherwise grew up in scouting. The subject comes up periodically and those in the know really emphasize how dependant it is on the individual pack leaders, most of which are volunteers with kids in the program, similar to rec league sports coaches. Apparently many of today's 'leaders' never participated in scouting themselves, and are otherwise pretty clueless regarding outdoorsmanship (is that a word?), so they end up focusing on crafts such as the slot cars and the like.

I went to a few meetings as a kid, and a couple as a parent with my son, but neither were what we were looking for. They rarely did anything outside, and most of the meetings were half-assed and uninteresting.

The one I attended as a kid was pretty non-secular, with meetings held at a local elementary school and no real emphasis on religion (though I know they are primarily a Christian organization). The one I took my son to here was at a church, and most participants, including leaders, were members of that church and hammered us constantly to attend services. That was enough to push me away.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                  The primary components are a dress shirt with earned patches sewn on, and cargo shorts or jeans. Where tradition comes in is the color scheme and kerchief, and yes, tradition is a big part of the organization. If wearing a kerchief isn't your son's thing, then there are plenty of other after schools activities to get involved in. If the uniform is non-starter, your priorities aren't inline with what scouting is about. Last I checked, there isn't a pretty-boy merit badge. Seriously, what 8-year old boy gives a damn about their clothes?

There is zero mention of the uniform as being cause for the decline in participation in that link.
                  Did I respond to you or svo with that link? Scouts didnt teach you reading comprehension did they.

Its extremely hypocritical for an organization to stress the importance of the uniform as far as boyscouts do and then claim it's wrong to care about it. They place more emphasis on appearance than any of the other organizations. They are the ones dictating the exact appearance. I know you're smarter than this.

You're a grown man with google. You can see complaints all over the place about how uncomfortable those crappy uniforms are. Maybe your kid is used to wearing starched out crap like that but mine is too active to wear that nonsense. So add in discomfort with the stupid look and you've got a bad idea that's pushed for the sake of "that's how we've always done it ".

But if you're representative of scout values....you are spot on...I have no desire for my kid to be part of that failing organization. I'm not going to teach my son to be a sheep because some old dude said thats how he did it. I'll let him do the activities he enjoys without artificially imposed discomfort.

Like I said, I don't have a problem with it if its functional. I've worn plenty of FR uniforms at different rigs, but those are stiff and uncomfortable for a great reason. They look dumb for a reason.

Comment

Dropping enrollment started long before that.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/...ls-heres-means
                    You are not aware of what you don't know. At their peak the Mormons accounted for 1/3 of all Boy Scouts. Starting in the early 2000s Mormons started pulling their kids out of the Boy Scouts because of social issues that were known throughout the scouts but hadn't quite made the news yet. That is why only one in five Scouts today are Mormons. Soon no Mormons will be members of the Boy Scouts and that will pretty much mark the downfall of the Boy Scouts of America.
                    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Did I respond to you or svo with that link? Scouts didnt teach you reading comprehension did they.
                      Why can't you have a discussion without throwing insults?

Its extremely hypocritical for an organization to stress the importance of the uniform as far as boyscouts do and then claim it's wrong to care about it. They place more emphasis on appearance than any of the other organizations. They are the ones dictating the exact appearance. I know you're smarter than this.

You're a grown man with google. You can see complaints all over the place about how uncomfortable those crappy uniforms are. Maybe your kid is used to wearing starched out crap like that but mine is too active to wear that nonsense. So add in discomfort with the stupid look and you've got a bad idea that's pushed for the sake of "that's how we've always done it ".

But if you're representative of scout values....you are spot on...I have no desire for my kid to be part of that failing organization. I'm not going to teach my son to be a sheep because some old dude said thats how he did it. I'll let him do the activities he enjoys without artificially imposed discomfort.

Like I said, I don't have a problem with it if its functional. I've worn plenty of FR uniforms at different rigs, but those are stiff and uncomfortable for a great reason. They look dumb for a reason.
                      The uniform is part of what Scouts do in daily living, you are required to have a clean uniform and ironed so it is neat. This is done to promote and teach young men how to take of ones self and not rely on a woman or mom to take care of some basic needs. When a scout earns his patched he then can iron/sew them on himself. It's about teaching basic outdoor living, first aid, cpr, etc.
                      Yes, I was a cub scout, boy scout and then middle/high school sports and pussy took my attention away, but being in the scout program taught me things that I used later in life and to this day.
                      Originally posted by Silverback
                      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                        Why can't you have a discussion without throwing insults?
                        Did you miss the part where he called me a judgemental prick? Or is this just selective bias?

Comment

Man, this thread has me so conflicted. I figured Ruffdaddy would be all in on boy scouts given his homosexual tendencies when posting. He comes in here bashing them, making me think it was all a facade, then he basses his hatred on the uniform, and we are right back where we started.
                          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Did you miss the part where he called me a judgemental prick? Or is this just selective bias?
                            You are being judgmental and you like prick, right?

And he put in a after his sentence so you wouldn't get offended...
                            Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                              You are being judgmental and you like prick, right?

And he put in a after his sentence so you wouldn't get offended...
                              Lol nice recovery...I'll give you that

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                                I figured Ruffdaddy would be all in on boy scouts given his homosexual tendencies when posting. He comes in here bashing them, making me think it was all a facade, then he basses his hatred on the uniform, and we are right back where we started.
                                lmfao!!!

Oh and the TAG, "ruff cnc own badge" is fucking on point!

Comment

Working...
                                X