Intel 6th gen i5/i7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
    I can loan you my atom powered netbook if you need to get something done!
    Hey it's lasted 6 years and still turns on. I give it an hour to load everything on Mondays before I get to work. We use ringcentral for work and I get a lot of images texted. I can download them, drag them to our claims screen and view them on the claim side before my PC will load the image.

It works okay for almost everything but with skype and ringcentral at the same time it's choking to death and forget about trying to manipulate any spreadsheets while doing anything else.

Comment

Shit I just bought a refurbished Dell Optiplex with an i7-3770 because I decided to get back into Android development and my 10 year old Core2Quad architecture isn't supported on the newer Android platform emulators
      Originally posted by Broncojohnny
      HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
        *cries in 4790k*

(Of course I have a 3800x build I need to finish and the wife has a 8600k for online shopping and pinterest)
        *Cries in I5 4670K* Fucker is still going strong though.

Comment

I'm rockin an I5/6500 with 16gb of ram and have had zero trouble getting it to do anything I've thrown at it. Board can support 7th gen but until I have the need to upgrade it I see no reason to.

Comment

And here I am wanting to upgrade my Ryzen 7 1700x to the up and coming 4th gen, but my 1st gen does everything I need.

I'll say this, next build I do, I'll use a less budget conscience mobo. I learned the hard way on this one that the chipset cuts half of your sata ports if you wanna use nvme and who doesn't. I also need a larger case to support more 3.5" hdds.

Comment

I'm actually considering the exact opposite route. Couple nvme drives, one 2tb 2.5 platter drive, 10900k, and whatever video card I can fit in to something like this:

sigpic

Comment

I need the ability to expand in drive count beyond 4 because I use this as my plex server as well as it's my main box for work in malware research. I'd love more cores and higher clocks so I can do more parallel tasks, but this one still meets my needs.

The only limit I've found is if I'm running Folding@Home on max, it won't allow enough cpu time to allow plex to transcode. What's odd is I can run 2 vms with 4cores and 4gb ram, f@h, have 20+tabs in chrome open, 3 different chat clients, muptiple ssh and vpn all at teh same time and you'd never know the cou was maxed by f@h. I guess transcoding is demanding work.

Comment

I finally bit the bullet and ordered another PC so I'll have an i7-9700T next week! I'm not really a PC gamer so hopefully it'll last me another 6-7 years.

I'll miss the potato quality webcam on my zoom meetings though.

Comment

That'll be one helluva upgrade for ya. Please tell me it'll be ssd based as well.

Comment

I built a i7 3770 gaming machine and it works great, does everything I want, but I don't do competitive gaming tho...

Comment

Yeah, the 3770 is still more than competent for 1080 gaming with good results. I gave my old 3770k to a coworker and he runs multiple vms, android studio device emulator, etc and it's kicking along great for him. I'm actually rather impressed especially since it's also using the AiO I installed when I built it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                          That'll be one helluva upgrade for ya. Please tell me it'll be ssd based as well.
                          Yeah it has an SSD drive for the OS and a regular drive for storage. Heck I might even reload steam on it and play some more CIV5. I love nuking the shit out of India.

Comment

It works!

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                              It works!
                              Score!

Comment

Working...
                              X