New Scooter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
    Well that sucks. Glad you're ok. One of the reasons I really don't like to go riding alone offroad.
    and then the rear tire came unseated on the rim. I had let some air out to try and get more traction (pointless) and half way back down the trail, flat tire. I converted to tubeless on the rear a while back, and if you run very little air, especially on a rough road, that's what happens. Rode 3 miles back down to the road on a flat, and somehow the bead seated back on. Long day.

Comment

How fast are those bikes in terms of top speed over a flat surface?

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
        couldn't say for sure. with stock gearing maybe 90ish. i sure as shit won't be going that fast in the dirt!

Comment

Man looks like some beautiful riding scenery
          WRX

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
            Just saw your question and wanted to follow up...I've had my 690 Enduro up to a GPS verified 110 on Interstate 20 using Dunlop Trailmax Mission Enduro tires. On knobby tires it was terrifying at anything over 85. I guarantee that 950 will go faster than 110.

Comment

I just wanted to add to some of these dual sport comments. I recently acquired a spotless 1100s Hypermotard. I am still on the fence after I rode it an hour the other night. It is cool and all, but more of a 20-80 bike, or a pissed of dirt bike. Like it doesn't like to creep around, and it doesn't like to go balls out, but somewhere in the middle it thrives. It has good torque but really not as fast as I thought it would be. My last sport bike was a TLR, maybe it has just been to long to remember, but I know it was hella more stable on the highway. I almost, and I mean almost , bought a KLX300, for both duties, but just like a little speed to get away from crazies on the highway if need be and I have always thought those big ass dual sports would be cumbersome though. I bought a beater KTM 450 for the dirt so I tried to split the duties up. I really wanted to give a 250/300 4 stroke a shot, surely by now they have as much power as my KX500's use to. But the Duc has street tires and does not like crazy speeds, I can't imagine knobblies. I remember riding the KX500 on the street as kid and doing crazy shit. Maybe I am getting old.

Guy I got the Ducati from was jonesing for a BMW Scrambler. The price for those, which look like a 70's dirt bike, is nuts.
              Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                I just wanted to add to some of these dual sport comments. I recently acquired a spotless 1100s Hypermotard. I am still on the fence after I rode it an hour the other night. It is cool and all, but more of a 20-80 bike, or a pissed of dirt bike. Like it doesn't like to creep around, and it doesn't like to go balls out, but somewhere in the middle it thrives. It has good torque but really not as fast as I thought it would be. My last sport bike was a TLR, maybe it has just been to long to remember, but I know it was hella more stable on the highway. I almost, and I mean almost , bought a KLX300, for both duties, but just like a little speed to get away from crazies on the highway if need be and I have always thought those big ass dual sports would be cumbersome though. I bought a beater KTM 450 for the dirt so I tried to split the duties up. I really wanted to give a 250/300 4 stroke a shot, surely by now they have as much power as my KX500's use to. But the Duc has street tires and does not like crazy speeds, I can't imagine knobblies. I remember riding the KX500 on the street as kid and doing crazy shit. Maybe I am getting old.

Guy I got the Ducati from was jonesing for a BMW Scrambler. The price for those, which look like a 70's dirt bike, is nuts.
                I enjoyed my DRZ400s that I went to Red River with you on but it sucked on freeways and was out of power at 75-80. In 2018 I picked up a well beaten down 09 KLR650 for a good deal and fixed it up...it was adequate on the freeway but it felt like a school bus off road. Sold it and on the same day picked up an 01 Honda XR650L..it was considerably better offroad but sucked on the highway at anything over 75. Made the jump to my 2014 KTM 690 Enduro R after reading tons of reviews and so far...2 years in...I think it is my unicorn until something significantly better comes along. I can ride it like a legitimate dirt bike..it has great suspension and barely weighs more than my old DRZ but then can hop on pavement and cruise all day long at 90mph. Riding it to Arkansas with some buddies over Memorial day weekend to hit the east side of the K trail.

Comment

Ktm/husky 500/501 hands down best all around dual sport/dirt bike ever!

Comment

What are the advantages of a bike instead of a 4 wheeler? They’ve got some cool trails here to explore and if I need to haul a deer or something out of the woods I feel a 4 wheeler is more advantageous for myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                      What are the advantages of a bike instead of a 4 wheeler? They’ve got some cool trails here to explore and if I need to haul a deer or something out of the woods I feel a 4 wheeler is more advantageous for myself.
                      For me they're just way more comfortable to ride (suck up the bumps) and much more maneuverable. Plus they're just way more fun.

Comment

new 690/701 in SM trim will do almost 130mph. the 450/501 ktm husq variants have stupid maintenance schedules, I feel bad for anyone street riding one.

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
                          new 690/701 in SM trim will do almost 130mph. the 450/501 ktm husq variants have stupid maintenance schedules, I feel bad for anyone street riding one.
                          Pretty sure if I was brave enough to pin the throttle on my 690 and hang on it could do 120. I've had it to 115 just to see if it would do it..its pretty sketchy at that speed so I generally keep it under 100 unless I'm passing slow traffic. My buddy bought a 17 Husky 701 Enduro with the newer engine..it is smoother and there is more power up top..quite sure it can easily top 120. The oil change intervals were a big factor in my decision to go with the 690/701. I also like the styling.

Comment

Pretty sure if I was brave enough to pin the throttle on my 690 and hang on it could do 120. I've had it to 115 just to see if it would do it..its pretty sketchy at that speed so I generally keep it under 100 unless I'm passing slow traffic. My buddy bought a 17 Husky 701 Enduro with the newer engine..it is smoother and there is more power up top..quite sure it can easily top 120. The oil change intervals were a big factor in my decision to go with the 690/701. I also like the styling.
                            i've seen 127 on the dash on mine on the track. i still change oil at 1k intervals but thats about all it takes. valves were all in spec at 5200mi.

yes, the new lc4 with both balancers is awesome, super smooth for a thumper.

Comment

I enjoyed my DRZ400s that I went to Red River with you on but it sucked on freeways and was out of power at 75-80. In 2018 I picked up a well beaten down 09 KLR650 for a good deal and fixed it up...it was adequate on the freeway but it felt like a school bus off road. Sold it and on the same day picked up an 01 Honda XR650L..it was considerably better offroad but sucked on the highway at anything over 75. Made the jump to my 2014 KTM 690 Enduro R after reading tons of reviews and so far...2 years in...I think it is my unicorn until something significantly better comes along. I can ride it like a legitimate dirt bike..it has great suspension and barely weighs more than my old DRZ but then can hop on pavement and cruise all day long at 90mph. Riding it to Arkansas with some buddies over Memorial day weekend to hit the east side of the K trail.
                              I knew you liked that bike and I looked hard at those. I just hate to compromise one area for another, especially if I can find a deal. Plus, I guess the one thing that tipped me to 2 was thinking about either crashing or being tired as F, then having to ride it home. Probably better than loading and unloading maybe buttttt. I still want to try a 250X one day, I really doubt I need a brute these days. I guess I also solidified my position though when I snapped my 520 Gold O-Ring chain 20 minutes into riding.
                              Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                                I knew you liked that bike and I looked hard at those. I just hate to compromise one area for another, especially if I can find a deal. Plus, I guess the one thing that tipped me to 2 was thinking about either crashing or being tired as F, then having to ride it home. Probably better than loading and unloading maybe buttttt. I still want to try a 250X one day, I really doubt I need a brute these days. I guess I also solidified my position though when I snapped my 520 Gold O-Ring chain 20 minutes into riding.
                                Yeah I have several friends that I used to street ride with all the time. Back when I had my KDX200, RMX250 and then the DRZ400 I kept asking them all to get dirt bikes or Enduros but none of them wanted to ride dirt so I made the decision to sell the DRZ in 2015 when I moved to Albuquerque. Shortly after moving for whatever reason...these same friends THEN decided to try dirt riding and started buying Dual Sports. One of them started with a Chinese Hawk 250, then bought an XR650L but then decided he wanted a CRF1000 Africa Twin and sold the XR650. He was hating life the day he tried to go single track riding along the Trinity/360 trails while I was having a blast on my 690. He shortly afterward bought a CRF250L. I think I've decided that the 690/701 is the biggest bike I want for adventure riding. It's light enough to ride like a real dirt bike, but just big enough that you can travel on it with bags and accessories. I may even install electronic cruise control on it (it is available). I'm probably going to sell the Blackbird before this year ends..I haven't put 10 miles on it since buying the 690.

Comment

Working...
                                X