Current best phone for the coin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current best phone for the coin?

My Pixel XL is still working fine but it rebooted a couple of times randomly the other day while I was driving. So, I thought I would save a few bucks and buy a Pixel 4XL Refurb on Amazon. Yeah it went through the whole process of set up and then told me to F myself. Wouldn't come out of the black boot up screen after the Google symbol. It fired up once with out my sim card, and I slipped the card in and it worked great.........until I restarted it, which I did on purpose. So, after a little bit of reading reviews I am guessing they are slipping on quality. I mean I did buy a refurb I guess.

Any suggestions on a reliable platform with good performance that is also fairly robust? My wife used to have all sorts of phone issues and once she switched to Iphones, not one complaint ever. Same with one of my not so tech savy Officers, loves his Iphone. As you can probably tell I really don't need the latest and greatest but I do want something decent that will last a while and I will shell out some money. The thing that first attracted me to the Pixel was it was flame and waterproof to a point, so strong.
    Whos your Daddy?

I've got a beat to shit old Galaxy S4 in a drawer somewhere that still works I'll sell ya?

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
      I've got a beat to shit old Galaxy S4 in a drawer somewhere that still works I'll sell ya?
      Burger king coupon and half a AW root beer?

I think I hit the restart on the Pixel the day it did that so it may have been updating but it is four years old. I should wait until it dies but I hate to buy in panic mode.
      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
        Burger king coupon and half a AW root beer?

I think I hit the restart on the Pixel the day it did that so it may have been updating but it is four years old. I should wait until it dies but I hate to buy in panic mode.
        Root beer and Burger King? Are you trying to kill me?

Comment

New iPhone SE 128gb is 449 that’s a pretty good deal it uses the chip from iPhone 11
          "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
            New iPhone SE 128gb is 449 that’s a pretty good deal it uses the chip from iPhone 11
            good phone but the the screen is freaking small! i went to a Samsung Galaxy S10e it's the best small phone out right now

Comment

If you stick with Android I don't think you can beat the Pixel line for the price. I think you just got a bad one. I have a 3XL and have never had an issue with it.

Comment

I bought the new Moto Edge+ 5G, bad ass phone. I've had my last Moto Z2 for three years, other than every now and then a call comes in and phone stays dark and I couldn't see who was calling, its worked great. Been a Moto fanboi since 2011, their phones seem to be made very well and pretty heavy duty, never had an issue with a broken screen unlike every other person I know with a Ipown that has a busted up ass screen.
                Originally posted by Silverback
                Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Hmm, I need to go look at the Edge. I was eyeballing the Iphones ,Note 6 or somethings, Samsung 20 and a Huawei something or other.

I am out on the Pixels I think. The more I read the more they have not kept up with old school build standards. Now the backs are popping off due to the batteries swelling. I have heard the 3s are great. I like the idea of face recognition and a thumb print which some hare coming out with.

On a side note, I went to the new Verizon store in Hachie yesterday, not a person in the parking lot. Guy comes out as says I need to make an online appointment before they can talk to me. I asked him a couple of questions and he went back in the store. I went to Lowes (same parking lot), came back out and still no cars at Verizon. I wasn't mad at the guy, rules are rules I guess. But funny.
                  Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I've had thr Pixel 3a XL for a year now and it's been the best experience on an Android phone I've ever had. That said, it's not perfect and I'm ready to upgrade, but nothing is ticking the boxes for me.

If the Pixel 5 doesn't cut it, I'll look at other devices that are part of the Android One program because they get updates directly from Google like a Pixel and I believe for at least 2 major OS updates. I don't need the most powerful SoC, a 1440p or 4k display(they kill the battery), etc. 1080p display is perfect, regular OS and security updates, close to pixel grade camera, water resistance and stereo speakers(a plus, not needed).

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                      I've had thr Pixel 3a XL for a year now and it's been the best experience on an Android phone I've ever had. That said, it's not perfect and I'm ready to upgrade, but nothing is ticking the boxes for me.

If the Pixel 5 doesn't cut it, I'll look at other devices that are part of the Android One program because they get updates directly from Google like a Pixel and I believe for at least 2 major OS updates. I don't need the most powerful SoC, a 1440p or 4k display(they kill the battery), etc. 1080p display is perfect, regular OS and security updates, close to pixel grade camera, water resistance and stereo speakers(a plus, not needed).
                      The 3a XL has been on the radar. The 4 XL did have a nice picture and the sound was pretty good for a phone. I really don't ever just listen without earbuds though. Even though when biking, occasionally my earbuds go dead and my Pixel is always loud enough to hear on the bars. I mean fairly decent and not to hard on the battery. Makes me wonder why I put earbuds in sometimes.
                      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Before biking and tracking my rides, I was getting legit 1.5-2 days on a charge w/8hrs+ screen time. That aspect was very refreshing and it's still a solid all day charge, but it's not "rated" as water resistant, it's been my main dislike of it. The camera is fantastic, it has stereo speakers, it's snappy considering its specs and it's the ONLY oled display phone I've had with zero image retention. The latter is likely because I've run a dark mode/theme as much as possible and trained the auto brightness on the lower side-mainly for battery.

/rambling

Comment

Just an FYI, you get a better deal from Verizon ordering online and free 15 day returns if you are not happy with the phone(s). I ordered mine online and got a decent price, I oredered mine the day after it was introduced and saved $200.xx with the online ordering, I also got a Otterbox clear case, wireless charging pad and 12v car charger and saved an additional $20.ish on each of the accessories. Of course I've been with Verizon for about 10 yrs now, so I feel like they took care of me in that regard, of course if you are with another carrier and switch you get a better deal, buts business I guess.

ALso if you trade in a fairly newer phone you get a trade in deal, not sure if that's still avaible tho.
                          Originally posted by Silverback
                          Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                            Just an FYI, you get a better deal from Verizon ordering online and free 15 day returns if you are not happy with the phone(s). I ordered mine online and got a decent price, I oredered mine the day after it was introduced and saved $200.xx with the online ordering, I also got a Otterbox clear case, wireless charging pad and 12v car charger and saved an additional $20.ish on each of the accessories. Of course I've been with Verizon for about 10 yrs now, so I feel like they took care of me in that regard, of course if you are with another carrier and switch you get a better deal, buts business I guess.

ALso if you trade in a fairly newer phone you get a trade in deal, not sure if that's still avaible tho.
                            I hated Sprint and AT&T with a passion. Went to Verizon 7 years ago and never looked back. Yeah I was just going to browse the other day, they rape you if you go in and they set up your phone. Online it says they will give me a solid 20 for my original XL, when it retires it will go in the drawer as a solid back up.
                            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Any phone with dual sim card slots!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X