Muffler shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muffler shop

$160-$300 to weld in 2 cats?! Is that the going rate nowadays? I can’t even get a straight answer from people when I call around looking for someone to do this job. Even Garland quoted me “a couple of hundred dollars”. Anyone know of a shop in Dallas that can weld 2 cats to an O/R H because at those prices, I’m better off buying myself a cheap welder from harbor freight. I got an A in HS shop and did some welding for FFA back home. It isn’t rocket surgery....
    .....bro....

That price sounds on par nowadays..
    "PSH!!!"

Comment

Did that include the cats ?

Comment

Just labor. I have the parts .
        .....bro....

Comment

sheet!

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
            sheet!

Me sentiments, exactly!
            .....bro....

Comment

Is your H Pipe off the car? If so, I can do it here at my house for some beer... just like I did on my 92 Mustang.
              Originally posted by stevo
              Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                Is your H Pipe off the car? If so, I can do it here at my house for some beer... just like I did on my 92 Mustang.

I can take it off but when I look at how the H is positioned, I’m wondering how or where these cats can be placed. It looks like a tight fit.
                .....bro....

Comment

What kinda car? Shorty headers or long tubes? If you look at the pics in my build thread it shows how I did mine, basically drew it's "template" on some cardboard so I knew the shape it had to be in when it was done. But I also knew I would have room for the cats where I was putting them.

Stevo

Comment

What kinda car? Shorty headers or long tubes? If you look at the pics in my build thread it shows how I did mine, basically drew it's "template" on some cardboard so I knew the shape it had to be in when it was done. But I also knew I would have room for the cats where I was putting them.

Shorties on a lowered 95.
                    .....bro....

Comment

Originally posted by A+ View Post
                      Shorties on a lowered 95.
                      Might be harder off the car as it's not able to lay flat on the ground like mine was with the long tubes. I'm sure a jig or something could be built to keep the dimensions right off the car, but could be a PITA for sure and on the car I can understand why they'd charge $150-300 depending on the shop. Might be easier/cheaper to buy a new pipe with cats in it and sell your OR pipe.

Stevo

Comment

Might be harder off the car as it's not able to lay flat on the ground like mine was with the long tubes. I'm sure a jig or something could be built to keep the dimensions right off the car, but could be a PITA for sure and on the car I can understand why they'd charge $150-300 depending on the shop. Might be easier/cheaper to buy a new pipe with cats in it and sell your OR pipe.

I just saw your template and that’s exactly where I was thinking about placing the cats. It’s the only place that appears to have enough space to accommodate them. I also kinda liked the before pic. I never thought about removing the center of the H . That could give me a lot more room to work with [emoji848]
                        .....bro....

Comment

Originally posted by A+ View Post
                          I just saw your template and that’s exactly where I was thinking about placing the cats. It’s the only place that appears to have enough space to accommodate them. I also kinda liked the before pic. I never thought about removing the center of the H . That could give me a lot more room to work with [emoji848]
                          Yeah, that was the way before pic... here's the post that shows where I welded in the cats.

So about 2 years ago I got my current 92 Coupe 5.0/5spd in a trade from a guy in East Texas, I gave him a dirtbike and $1k for the car. My plan was to have a fun weekend car that I may some day do a little auto x or an open track day in it. I don't really have an interest in drag racing so it needed to handle as well as

Stevo

Comment

Yeah, that was the way before pic... here's the post that shows where I welded in the cats.

http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/sh...9&postcount=64

Yup, that’s it! It looks like the only place. This is a pic I took a few days ago of that same location.
                            .....bro....

Comment

Ah, looking at that pic I'd say you *could* cut out the joints and weld in the cats there like they are placed on mine, or possibly just upstream of the joint on the down pipes after it turns left there.

Stevo

Comment

Working...
                              X