Lifer

Default Big Green Egg ?

Worth the Benjamins ? Where do you get the best deal
dcs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:28 AM   #2
Baron Von Crowder
asshole with an opinion
VIP Member

They work. My buddy bought a used one and uses the crap out of it.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:11 AM   #3
lowthreeohz
lol wut

I think rob and some others here got the komodo? for significantly less with similar functionality
lowthreeohz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:14 AM   #4
Craizie
Not very WOKE
VIP Member

I've never used one, but my sales guy regularly brings in meats he's smoked on his and they are pretty damned good. He swears by it.
Craizie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:47 AM   #5
BP
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowthreeohz View Post
I think rob and some others here got the komodo? for significantly less with similar functionality
I have an Akorn, it's the same basic design but double walled steel instead of ceramic. Also about 1/4 of the price.

I've had a BBQ Guru controller, a stainless cap that's closed on top so I can cook in the rain and I've added some asbestos tape to seal the ash catcher better.

For me it works great but I'm only doing 1 brisket or shoulder at a time. There are other rack systems where you can do a lot more but I've never needed to. I do use the top rack sometimes to smoke a bologna, sausage or some beans.
BP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:16 AM   #6
bird_dog0347
Punk Ass Douche

I have one and love it... most of them will all be the same prices but the addons that certain dealers throw in can be better than others. I'd check out ceramic grill store near Denton as they have some unique accessories that are better than the BGE stuff IMO that they will substitute for the BGE bundles at the same prices. Go with the XL, you'll regret anything smaller and it's not bad at all on charcoal, still uses very little.

Edit to add I got mine at Premier Grilling before I knew about ceramic grill store. I think all in I was around $1200 for the XL with stand, side tables, ash tool, Eggnitor (heat gun), plate setter, and a bag of charcoal.

Stevo
bird_dog0347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 12:39 PM   #7
kingjason
Notorious PIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP View Post
I have an Akorn, it's the same basic design but double walled steel instead of ceramic. Also about 1/4 of the price.

I've had a BBQ Guru controller, a stainless cap that's closed on top so I can cook in the rain and I've added some asbestos tape to seal the ash catcher better.

For me it works great but I'm only doing 1 brisket or shoulder at a time. There are other rack systems where you can do a lot more but I've never needed to. I do use the top rack sometimes to smoke a bologna, sausage or some beans.
My buddy had an Acorn and really liked it.....but he eventually bought a green egg. He bought the Acorn to see if he could master the charcoal concept and after a year or two he just decided it was time. Really though it worked well but I think it was losing the seal at the bottom and he broke the adjustment thingy on top. He also realized my BGE was 6 years old at that point and still working flawless.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:33 PM   #8
dcs13
Lifer

Guess you can't find a price unless you go to a dealer.. Im in the Hill Country , Guess I'll make some calls..
Old 09-23-2019, 06:20 AM   #9
bird_dog0347
Punk Ass Douche

I think the BGE dealers cannot post any prices below MSRP and I'm not even sure they are allowed to sell below cost but they throw in other "package" stuff to make the overall price lower.

Stevo
Old 09-23-2019, 06:49 AM   #10
GrayStangGT
Lifer
VIP Member

I've had a BGE for years, if I was going to do it again I would look into the Primo, being an oval is a much better shape for things like ribs or a big brisket. It also makes it where you can put a divider in and keep all your coals on one side to have a hot and cool side. I can attest to the quality on the BGE, mine is 9-10 years old, never been covered and always sat outside, just refinish the handle every few years and it is good to go. The green is starting to come off around the bottom vent, but that doesn't affect how it cooks.

Personally I'm a pellet grill convert now and haven't hardly used my BGE in the last 3 years.

Last edited by GrayStangGT; 09-23-2019 at 06:56 AM.
GrayStangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:19 PM   #11
AnthonyS
Lifer

I have a Kamodo Joe Big Joe. Both are in stock at your local ACE hardware. Go check em out. I’m tempted to get a small one for camping.
AnthonyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 02:19 AM   #12
95DRGT
Lifer

Go Primo-it’s oval and gives you more cook surface
95DRGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 04:23 PM   #13
dcs13
Lifer

Game on.. Thanks guys..
Old 09-29-2019, 07:27 PM   #14
ELVIS
Disturbingly Handsome

ive got primo kamodo. i gave it to my pops as im lazy and gas has me eating in like 10 mins!

god bless.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:12 PM   #15
dcs13
Lifer

OK, Im freaking impressed. Smoked a whole chicken today . Wife said it was the best she's ever tasted... Steaks last night were great, pizza's on Friday were good. Its a little bit of a learning curve to moderate the temps.. Why the hell do I have a stove ?
Old 10-07-2019, 06:46 AM   #16
bird_dog0347
Punk Ass Douche

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs13 View Post
OK, Im freaking impressed. Smoked a whole chicken today . Wife said it was the best she's ever tasted... Steaks last night were great, pizza's on Friday were good. Its a little bit of a learning curve to moderate the temps.. Why the hell do I have a stove ?
Yup, easy as can be... only two real "rules" for it. First and foremost, safety, if you're cooking hotter than about 400 make sure when you open the lid you only do so about an inch for 3-4 seconds and not just open it fast, it can flame up on you and burn you. Second, do not overshoot your temp when you light it up, it's a real bitch to cool it back down to where you want it.

Stevo
Old 10-07-2019, 07:50 AM   #17
BP
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjason View Post
My buddy had an Acorn and really liked it.....but he eventually bought a green egg. He bought the Acorn to see if he could master the charcoal concept and after a year or two he just decided it was time. Really though it worked well but I think it was losing the seal at the bottom and he broke the adjustment thingy on top. He also realized my BGE was 6 years old at that point and still working flawless.
Yeah the adjustment lever broke on my so I replaced the whole top with the stainless chimney with the added benefit of being covered so I can cook in the rain.

After I sealed the bottom part it'll hold 250 steady with the top vent partially open and gets to 290 ish if it's wide open. I can close it almost all the way and it'll sit at 225 but it burns through the batteries on my controller pretty fast. If I pull the controller out and run both vents wide open it'll hit 500+ degrees but takes forever to get there so I'm better off using my gas grill.
BP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:15 AM   #18
GrayStangGT
Lifer
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
Yup, easy as can be... only two real "rules" for it. First and foremost, safety, if you're cooking hotter than about 400 make sure when you open the lid you only do so about an inch for 3-4 seconds and not just open it fast, it can flame up on you and burn you. Second, do not overshoot your temp when you light it up, it's a real bitch to cool it back down to where you want it.
Best two pieces of advice for egg cooking. I got to drinking one night and forgot to burp it, lost quit a bit of arm hair. Also if you plan on doing lots of high temp cooking if it doesn't have the upgraded hit temp gasket I would go ahead and change it. Easier to change now than after you burn out the factory one and it is all cooked on there from a couple years of use.
GrayStangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:11 AM   #19
bcoop
Lifer

I love mine. Use it 3-4 nights a week. I would strongly encourage you to go to Ceramic Grill Store in Denton. You can buy the base, dome, stand, whatever from them, but with the internals you'll want/need like their adjustable shelf system, the woo ring (for woks, etc), and not have to pay for things you don't want/need.

I bought mine from Ace years ago before I knew about CGS. No complaints with Ace, they've been fantastic. I just picked up a large from Ace again yesterday that I donated to a charity auction. Because I don't know where it will wind up, I wanted to get from a national dealer. But if it were for me, CGS all the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.
bcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:12 AM   #20
bcoop
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayStangGT View Post
Best two pieces of advice for egg cooking. I got to drinking one night and forgot to burp it, lost quit a bit of arm hair. Also if you plan on doing lots of high temp cooking if it doesn't have the upgraded hit temp gasket I would go ahead and change it. Easier to change now than after you burn out the factory one and it is all cooked on there from a couple years of use.
Replace with a Rutland and you'll never need another gasket as long as you own it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.
bcoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nay has big green dildo, ruff cnc'd nays dildo