Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any of you have any raspberry pi's you dont want?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty cool setup

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
      How do you manage heat generation from all your hardware?
      To be honest, the setup doesn't put out much heat. Even when I have say 6 users transcoding on plex, and having some heavy machine learning tasks going on the temperature stays about the same. However when I am gaming, that video card will pump the heat out for sure.

I'm a big proponent of the theory that hardware doesn't die from heat. Power cycling, spinning up and down, and dirty power play a far greater role than the temperature ( within respect ). I do try and keep fans on vital parts to move the hot air away and that works wonders compared to ambient.

The data closet will easily hit 80 degrees during the day if I'm doing a lot of shit, but otherwise its just as cool as the rest of the house, albeit its really dry in there ( I might put a humidifier upstairs for winter ).

I'll make a video real quick, my office/closet are a mess right now so no judging. I dont like having the cases off computers, but there just isnt enough time in the day to do all the things I want sometimes

Comment

Man, my 3770k will hit low 70's when I get a lot of transcoding goin on. I don't have it set to scale down the clocks at idle and frankly, it rarely does. I was doin some bitcoin mining on my RX480 and I remembered real quick how much heat a gpu could generate, so I nixed that for the summer months, but w/AMD's Wattmon set to scale the fan up to 75% with temps in excess of 79c, it was keeping the side of my printer rather toasty.

Comment

I wish plex offered hardware based transcoding, that would fix your heat issues for sure, and would allow me to stream way more than the amount of CPU cores I have. Its honestly a little archaic that Plex doesnt have that ability yet seeing as most video cards, even on board ones, can transcode now at a far lower power usage.

Comment

Agreed, I've oft wondered why they haven't implemented gpu based transcoding.

Comment

Working...
            X