Property Tax dispute¿

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
    Don't worry guys, the school districts will waste every dime you give them on useless shit and then complain about being broke again as soon as the real estate markets blow up.
    Yep, bloated fat administrative heavy school districts than can't manage money to save their life. Bloated government bureaucracy sucks.
    Ford
    GM
    Toyota
    VAG

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
      I didn't even bother to argue with Denton CAD. Hunt Co. though we did alright on our dispute.
      Do you mind sharing how much of an adjustment they gave you? PM works too. They barely offered me anything this year. The market is trending up out here finally, but it is FAR from hot!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
      Originally posted by Leah
      Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

You guys get raped in taxes in Texas...

Comment

Originally posted by 2011GT View Post
          You guys get raped in taxes in Texas...
          At least we don't have a state income tax. But they sure do try to make it up with sales tax and property tax, plus franchise tax if you're a business owner.
          Ford
          GM
          Toyota
          VAG

Comment

So was homestead exemption not a factor for some of you guys?

Are these big jumps on just land?

Comment

Originally posted by quikag View Post
              At least we don't have a state income tax. But they sure do try to make it up with sales tax and property tax, plus franchise tax if you're a business owner.
              Id be more fucked on income tax than property...so I guess I should be thankful. Hard to think I should be thankful paying insane taxes.

Comment

Ellis County was like a time share meeting. I like how the only comps they could find for me were 5 miles away since nothing in my neighborhood ever sells. I got them down 4 or 5k but them bastards have went up 18k a year for the last two years. Kind of hard to argue values since they upped every single house value in the county. This house was supposed to be valued at 160 when I bought it for 120, and at least they dropped values during the crash, but still. This area is on fire right now and I hate that since I have no intention of moving.
                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Make sure your escrow account has enough in it! These bitches like to surprise you

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                    Ellis County was like a time share meeting. I like how the only comps they could find for me were 5 miles away since nothing in my neighborhood ever sells. I got them down 4 or 5k but them bastards have went up 18k a year for the last two years. Kind of hard to argue values since they upped every single house value in the county. This house was supposed to be valued at 160 when I bought it for 120, and at least they dropped values during the crash, but still. This area is on fire right now and I hate that since I have no intention of moving.
                    When did you buy? If it was in the last year, use your settlement statement to show actual value. That is how I got a large adjustment last year.
                    Originally posted by QIK46 View Post
                    Make sure your escrow account has enough in it! These bitches like to surprise you
                    This is no lie! My boss' mortgage payment went up $1800 a month to cover a screw up in the escrow amount that was figured when they bought their home.

Comment

Originally posted by beefed88 View Post
                      Isn't that the truth.

I hired ola tax in southlake for my rentals in watauga. Like quickag and 8mpg there is no cap in the yearly increase amount. I will report back when they go through the hearing. They take 50% of the savings. No fee upfront.

UM, YES THERE IS!!! State law IIRC and it's stated on the front of the proposed tax statement. I think it is a max % per year or number of years...have to look it up. Unless you change the use of the property say from residential to commercial, there is a cap per year.

I'm going through the same crap here in College Station. Even though comps for the last 6 to 24 months are selling in the $97/sf range, they are trying to price our house at $122.56/sf for 2017 but are going to let us off at 112.79/sf for 2016 because that is all they can raise it by statute. last year we were at $102.54/sf and I am willing to agree to an increase to $105/sf..maybe even the $107.87/sf we paid for it in 2009 even after values tanked over the last few years but not sure why all the insanity in values as of late except for all the new county buildings they have gotten lately. fuckers.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
                        UM, YES THERE IS!!! State law IIRC and it's stated on the front of the proposed tax statement. I think it is a max % per year or number of years...have to look it up. Unless you change the use of the property say from residential to commercial, there is a cap per year.

I'm going through the same crap here in College Station. Even though comps for the last 6 to 24 months are selling in the $97/sf range, they are trying to price our house at $122.56/sf for 2017 but are going to let us off at 112.79/sf for 2016 because that is all they can raise it by statute. last year we were at $102.54/sf and I am willing to agree to an increase to $105/sf..maybe even the $107.87/sf we paid for it in 2009 even after values tanked over the last few years but not sure why all the insanity in values as of late except for all the new county buildings they have gotten lately. fuckers.
                        UMMM OK THANKS. I am having a hard time finding that reference where a property without a homestead exemption has a cap. If you find it let me know .
                        2006 Civic SI
                        2009 Pilot
                        1988 GT
                        CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post

10% ONLY if you have a homestead exemption. Open land and rentals do not have a limit.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                            10% ONLY if you have a homestead exemption. Open land and rentals do not have a limit.
                            Correct. My land in Keller doesn't have a house on it (well, it does, but it's an old one I was going to tear down but that Flip and Move show is taking it), so I don't have a homestead exemption on it, so no cap. My saving grace is I just bought the land a few months ago so they are going to take my closing statement for the value. At least that's what they said....
                            Ford
                            GM
                            Toyota
                            VAG

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                              When did you buy? If it was in the last year, use your settlement statement to show actual value. That is how I got a large adjustment last year.

4 years ago. I have went from 120 to 167k or so.

This is no lie! My boss' mortgage payment went up $1800 a month to cover a screw up in the escrow amount that was figured when they bought their home.

Generally this is just poor planning on his part. When you buy your house, lets say in February if it is completed then, you are paying taxes on undeveloped land for the next 10 months. Then when the next tax year rolls around and you owe the back taxes on 10 months. It is fucked up and not usually explained when you buy.
                              Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                                Generally this is just poor planning on his part. When you buy your house, lets say in February if it is completed then, you are paying taxes on undeveloped land for the next 10 months. Then when the next tax year rolls around and you owe the back taxes on 10 months. It is fucked up and not usually explained when you buy.
                                Something was figured incorrectly when the mortgage was written. I can't remember exactly what it was.

Comment

Working...
                                X