Laptop suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop suggestions

I need a laptop to take overseas for about a year. I haven't had a laptop since like 2005. What does DFWM suggest in the $600-800 range?
    DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Dell XPS 13 $799.99

Comment

I love OSX but fucking hate my new $3000 macbook pro, last years pro is great as is the macbook air. I just had a yoga 720 13", it was decent, Windows is still shit on hidef screens IMO. The yoga and the macbook air are at or close to your price range.
      Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

What are you wanting to use the laptop for? I have a Macbook Pro, Air and a Asus Celeron. I find myself using the little $140 laptop with 2GB of ram more than my big laptops simply because the battery life is insane ( 10-14 hours ), its small and light.

Since I only use a terminal and browse the web I dont need much power. It can stream video from Plex just fine as well, the screen is small and low resolution but it works.

My macbook pro is retardely overpowered, and it can play video games in 4k which is just ridiculous. If I go out of town, its the laptop I bring with me.

Comment

Originally posted by abecx View Post
          What are you wanting to use the laptop for? I have a Macbook Pro, Air and a Asus Celeron. I find myself using the little $140 laptop with 2GB of ram more than my big laptops simply because the battery life is insane ( 10-14 hours ), its small and light.

Since I only use a terminal and browse the web I dont need much power. It can stream video from Plex just fine as well, the screen is small and low resolution but it works.

My macbook pro is retardely overpowered, and it can play video games in 4k which is just ridiculous. If I go out of town, its the laptop I bring with me.
          Well, thats half the struggle. Do I get a bare bones machine for simple browsing and email? Or shell out a little more that will allow me to game a bit? The connection speed is very unlikely to be fast. I maybe just get a mid range PC that wouldnt be annoying slow, and then pick up an xbox for my boredom induced gaming.

I was mainly hoping for any screaming deals.
          DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
            Well, thats half the struggle. Do I get a bare bones machine for simple browsing and email? Or shell out a little more that will allow me to game a bit? The connection speed is very unlikely to be fast. I maybe just get a mid range PC that wouldnt be annoying slow, and then pick up an xbox for my boredom induced gaming.

I was mainly hoping for any screaming deals.
            I like your idea of getting a basic to mid level laptop for work/internet and an Xbox for gaming, unless of course you prefer PC gaming. I do a little of both so I bought a used XbOne from some kid off Craigslist for $185 and then bought a gaming laptop so I have the best of both worlds for just under $1K. I have a previous year model of the Lenovo Y700 and love it. I've been running with that combo for about 2 years now and it's been perfect.

Here's a link to the current model of my laptop:
            http://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops.../p/88IPY700622

Comment

Thats a great idea, get a cheap laptop, put linux on it, and get a ps4/xbox

Comment

In that price range you can get a lower end XPS 13 or Surface Pro 4. There are some pretty decent discounts on the surface pro 4 lately. Frankly, those are the two best PCs on the market right now.

I've got a SP4 with the core i5 and 256GB of storage and I think it's pretty damn good now that MS has the drivers figured out and Windows 10 keeps getting better with each update. The basic Core i3 based SP4 is discounted to $649. The keyboard costs another $100. They stylus doesn't come with the basic model so add another $100. Those prices are on the Microsoft store website, so you may be able to find it cheaper elsewhere.

Another thing to consider might be the iPad Pro 10.5" that just came out. It's got some serious horsepower behind it, for a tablet. It starts at $649 and a keyboard will add another $100. The pencil/stylus is another $100 retail but you don't have to have that and you can sometimes find it discounted.

Comment

Working...
                X