motorcycle starting issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motorcycle starting issue

well my 07 Honda shadow isn't starting anymore, im getting 11v at the battery and the starter relay, when I turn the key the headlights come on and when I push the start button the neutral light blinks, but doesn't crank or anything, any help anyone??

Originally posted by DOHCTR
    You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!

Battery. Leave the volt meter on it and hit the button. Bet it drops to 3v or something. Buy an odyssey at battery mart for like 99.00. My shovelhead is going on 6 years with this battery and I don't ride it much.
    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Ok I'll try it tomorrow, what if it doesn't drop? I accidentally touched the two poles when cleaning the starter relay and it cranked over I just didnt leave it on there long enough to start it

Comment

Originally posted by bonnie&clyde View Post
        Ok I'll try it tomorrow, what if it doesn't drop? I accidentally touched the two poles when cleaning the starter relay and it cranked over I just didnt leave it on there long enough to start it
        Then maybe the relay. 11v is low though for no load.
        Whos your Daddy?

Comment

went out there today and put the meter on it, steady 10v even when pressing the start button, checked it at the battery and at the starter relay solenoid, any other suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by bonnie&clyde View Post
            when I push the start button the neutral light blinks
            battery

Comment

but even if im getting a steady 10-11v from it? the neutral light dims not blinks like it would on a regular start up

Comment

11v at rest isn't good, quit putzing with it until you have a fresh batt

Comment

If the motor attempted to turn over when you jumped across both big lugs of the solenoid, then you may have a bad solenoid, safety switch somewhere, starter button, kill switch, etc. If the solenoid doesn't at least click when you hit the button then it's either not getting signal or isn't trying to engage. The battery does sound low, but if jumping the solenoid allows the stater to spin then so should using the stater button of all things are working correctly in theory. You need to check the small wire or wires that feed the solenoid for voltage when you try to start it.

Comment

Originally posted by shumpertdavid View Post
                    If the motor attempted to turn over when you jumped across both big lugs of the solenoid, then you may have a bad solenoid, safety switch somewhere, starter button, kill switch, etc. If the solenoid doesn't at least click when you hit the button then it's either not getting signal or isn't trying to engage. The battery does sound low, but if jumping the solenoid allows the stater to spin then so should using the stater button of all things are working correctly in theory. You need to check the small wire or wires that feed the solenoid for voltage when you try to start it.
                    that's what I was leaning more towards, I took the housing apart and cleaned it all up hoping it would work but it didn't, it all started when I swapped out the handle bars

Comment

Rectifier?

Comment

A battery should be 12.6 volts at rest. Sounds like you have a deal cell.

Is there a chance that the computer has a low voltage protection? Jumping the poles could have bypassed that.

Comment

Whatever you do, don't replace the battery before going any further on your troubleshooting.

Comment

battery...

Comment

Half of history is hiding the past.

Comment

Working...
                              X