Electricians. Have a question on gfci outlet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electricians. Have a question on gfci outlet

So outside receptacle was not a gfci plug. My box isn't labeled at fucking all. So I killed all power and wired in a gfci plug. Still no power once replaced so started tracing the line and guess what. It's already being powered by the load side of a gfci outlet. Only one on the circuit.

Fixed it and hooked it up as before with the outside outlet being on the load side. I've already got it sealed all up and everything works. Should I change it back or change the wiring so both power off line.

All this started cause the wife wanted some damn Xmas lights.

swap out sandwich maker...problem solved

seriously tho, that's a doozy. subscribing.

Comment

They put the gfi inside out of the weather.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
      2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

To be fair it was wired correctly before. I just didn't know it was being powered by a gfci outlet. I just figured some ass hat put a regular outlet in the outside box.

Comment

If the old outlet was on the load side of an existing gfci circuit then it sounds like it already had ground fault protection from the gfci outlet. I'd put the old outlet back in, trip/test the gfci, and see if your outlet in question goes dead.

Comment

OK let me start over.

No power outside. It wasn't gfi so I put one in due to it being outside. Sealed it all up etc. Flipped power on and still nothing.

Step 2

Traced back the wire and found it was already being powered by a gfi outlet, but itz load side was bad so replaced it. Wired it how it was before.

Now both outlets work, but wondering if I should change the outside outlet back a regular outlet sincebeing powered off the load side of the inside gfi outlet. Or if it'll be fine and not hurt anything.

I sealed that fucker up good lol really don't want to pull it out

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny
              HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

It will work fine the way you have it.

Comment

^^^this, it's fine as is. May be overkill from a gfci standpoint but it's just another layer of protection.

Comment

By the book I would replace the end GFI with a regular outlet...its already protected...no reason for double GFI protection but it will work either way.

Comment

Originally posted by S_K View Post
                      It will work fine the way you have it.
                      Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                      By the book I would replace the end GFI with a regular outlet...its already protected...no reason for double GFI protection but it will work either way.
                      This.

Comment

Working...
                      X